Lloyd Brown was 16 years old when he signed up... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:45 AM
Lloyd Brown was 16 years old when he signed up...

..........to fight in World War I. He's now 103 and one of an estimated 30 U.S. veterans of World War I still alive. He was apart of the Memorial Day Parade in Washington DC

God Bless all US military personal who have given their lives in defense of the United States and other countries around the world!

Old 05-30-2005, 03:46 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 11:45 AM
well, the allies were kind of fighting against us in that war and in the aftermath, and it was a war over colonial interests, so it doesnt really have the same emotional punch WW2 has.. you know, fighting for the free world thing.

god bless all the soldiers who lost their lives last century. they were all someone's son and they had the courage to fight the wars for old men who started them.

i had an epiphany the other day. there will always be wars. our nature is simply not good enough to avoid them. old men will watch, as the young men die.

there is something the founder of my country, ataturk, said about the british and the australians who came to fight to our soil in the first great war, i really sympathize with it.

'Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land, they have become our sons as well.'

Old 05-30-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want

'Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land, they have become our sons as well.'
wow, that brought tears to my eyes, thats beautiful.

thank you to all the soldiers who've died defending this country. and as you said, all the young men and women who've died in war, whether or not it was truly considered a "good fight." they didn't start the war, and they had families too.

this reminds me of a special i watched on tv about american and german soldiers singing songs together and tossing cigarettes to each other while in the trenches at night. knowing the next morning they would be expected to kill these people without a second thought. its so sad.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want
well, the allies were kind of fighting against us in that war and in the aftermath, and it was a war over colonial interests, so it doesnt really have the same emotional punch WW2 has.. you know, fighting for the free world thing.

god bless all the soldiers who lost their lives last century. they were all someone's son and they had the courage to fight the wars for old men who started them.

i had an epiphany the other day. there will always be wars. our nature is simply not good enough to avoid them. old men will watch, as the young men die.

there is something the founder of my country, ataturk, said about the british and the australians who came to fight to our soil in the first great war, i really sympathize with it.

I should have been a little more clear in my first post, but I really meant this thread to be in honor of the US military personal who have died in defending the United States for the past 200 years. Today is Memorial Day, a national holiday in the United States when the country honors military personal that have died defending the country.

Despite the fact I strongly disagree with your political views in your above statement, I'm not going to respond to them in this thread as I'd like this thread to be focused on honoring the troops on this Memorial Day.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:28 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:45 AM
God Bless all Allied troops that died defending Europe from the Nazi menace.

P.S. All I Want is right, WWI was a colonial imperialist war.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:20 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

When I think of World War I, I think of the war poets like Siegfreid Sassoon, Rupert Graves, etc.

This is one of my favourite World War I poems:-

In Flanders Fields:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields

By John McCrae 1915
Old 05-30-2005, 06:38 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

[QUOTE]Originally posted by financeguy
[B]When I think of World War I, I think of the war poets like Siegfreid Sassoon, Rupert Graves, etc.

When I was in college, I wrote a paper about Wilfrid Owen, the Welsh poet. It was a tear-jerker, writing that paper just about killed me.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:39 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Lloyd Brown was 16 years old when he signed up...

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
..........to fight in World War I. He's now 103 and one of an estimated 30 U.S. veterans of World War I still alive. He was apart of the Memorial Day Parade in Washington DC

God Bless all US military personal who have given their lives in defense of the United States and other countries around the world!
Sting, that article was in our morning paper. Wonderful piece, wonderful man.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:41 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

I should have been a little more clear in my first post, but I really meant this thread to be in honor of the US military personal who have died in defending the United States for the past 200 years. Today is Memorial Day, a national holiday in the United States when the country honors military personal that have died defending the country.

Including the mass murderers from the indian wars ?
Old 05-30-2005, 10:08 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
Including the mass murderers from the indian wars ?
This thread was meant as a memorial day thread to honor US troops who have died defending the United States. Please take your political views and discuss them in another thread.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:33 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:45 AM
Uh yeah. Another exclusive thread for nationalists to tout their horn. Great.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:42 AM   #12
War Child

Re: Lloyd Brown was 16 years old when he signed up...

Quote:

I read Mr.Brown's story last night in the newspaper.I thought that it was cute that he sometimes rides his golfcart to the shopping center..and the cops dont like it much

I know WW1 was so long ago,but hard to believe that there are only about 30 men surviving..A bit sad because once they are gone,there wont be anyone left to share with us.

Bless all the soldiers,(past and present) and their loved ones.I hope our men and women fighting today come home sooner that later.

Rhia
Old 05-31-2005, 08:26 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:45 AM
We should all spend time with a veteren. We can learn alot about courage, determination and self-sacrifice.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:29 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
We should all spend time with a veteren. We can learn alot about courage, determination and self-sacrifice.
Yeah, and about Vietnam.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:52 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Thanks nbc

Thanks and much respect to all veterans and to those currently serving