Living with War - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2006, 02:20 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Debates with musicians are always problematical. You may have reason on your side, but they've got the rhythm section and the lead guitar. Hard to beat that.

Then there's Pink. She's got a new song called "Mr. President" in which she imagines taking a walk with the president and discussing war, No Child Left Behind, and asks him how he can live with himself.

I'm all for artists speaking out. I lived through the '60s, too. In fact, I worked in the music business back then, and everybody was against war. That was because we started a war we didn't have to. Everybody knew that.

Things are different nowadays for me.

When I think of the war, I think of Flight 93. I wonder if Neil Young and Pink are going to go see that. I wonder if they would accept free tickets from me.

In fact, Zarqawi promised just a day or two ago that the worst is yet to come.

Wonder if they listen to Neil Young and Pink? Doubt it.

Think they would spare Neil Young and Pink while they killed the rest of us because, after all, Neil Young and Pink are against war and want peace?

If Zarqawi and bin Laden are against Bush, they must be against war, right?

You might think so if all you listened to was Neil Young and Pink.

Young and Pink are angry and sad. 9/11 is a distant memory. They don't feel threatened by anybody but our own president.

This is what it has come to. They are forgetful. They have amnesia. They blame the wrong leaders. They are proud of their opposition. And they couldn't be more wrong.

That's My Word."

How is it possible that conservatives are still linking the Iraqi war with 9/11? We know that Cheney, Rumsfeld et al were pushing to go to war with Iraq before Bush even took office (Project for a New American Century).
We did not have to start this war against Iraq. The arguments that were used to defend the Vietnam war are the same ones used today, just substitute "terrorism" for "communism."
Does Gibson honestly believe that "doves" see bin Laden as anti-war? How insulting! I despise the bin Laden's of the world as much, if not more, as a "dove." I loathe any form of hatred, intolerance, aggressive combat.
Why shouldn't we feel threatened by our president? He has resurrected the Reganian world view. We are good, fighting evil. Our fearless leader is leading the way against evil. We can do no wrong.
Nothing could be further than the truth. If America is to be great, it must be willing to examine our weaknesses. True strength lies in the ability to continue to better oneself.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:55 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:52 PM
This song live was quite powerful. He said some Bush stuff too, I wish I could remember all of it. He said that he hated to kick a guy when he was down though He talked about being in New Orleans and how you have no idea what it's like until you go there.

"This song was written by Blind Alfred Reed and recorded a month after the crash of '29 that heralded the Great Depression. I first heard it on Ry Cooder's self - titled debut album (1970). To his arrangement we owe a debt. I kept the "doctor" first verse by Reed then wrote three others with a mind to the great trials the people of New Orleans have faced this year.

Here are the full lyrics:
Well, the doctor comes 'round here with his face all bright
And he says "in a little while you'll be alright"
All he gives is a humbug pill, a dose of dope and a great big bill
Tell me, how can a poor man stand such times and live?
He says "me and my old school pals had some might high times down here
And what happened to you poor black folks, well it just ain't fair"
He took a look around gave a little pep talk, said "I'm with you" then he took a little walk
There's bodies floatin' on Canal and the levees gone to Hell
Martha, get me my sixteen gauge and some dry shells
Them who's got got out of town
And them who ain't got left to drown
I got family scattered from Texas all the way to Baltimore
And I ain't got no home in this world no more
Gonna be a judgment that's a fact, a righteous train rollin' down this track
Tell me, how can a poor man stand such times and live? "

He also did the Seeger song Bring Them Home for Memorial Day

http://www.motherjones.com/news/disp...09/08_400.html

I have to find the lyrics for that one

Old 05-30-2006, 10:32 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:52 PM
I still remember when Reagan used "Born in the USA" for his campaign.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:27 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

USA Today June 7th

"I want to remember and yet forge ahead and find out what's over the next hill," he says. "A lot of this music was written so long ago, but I felt I could make it feel essential right now. I've always got an eye toward the future and an eye to the past. That's how you know where you've come from and where you want to go. If you look at our recent history, it seems there's been so much disregard of past experience in the way the country has conducted itself."

Though the album's politics are restrained, Springsteen has been increasingly vocal in his criticism of the Bush administration since joining 2004's Vote for Change tour. His solution to domestic ills?

"Obviously, get rid of the president," he says. "When you see the devastation (in New Orleans) and realize the kind of support the city will need to get back on its feet, there's no way to make sense of someone pushing for more tax cuts for the 1% of the 1% of the population. It's insanity and a subversion of everything America is supposed to be about. You can't travel around the city and not wonder what in the world is going on."
Old 08-27-2006, 08:17 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Just got back from the CSNY Freedom of Speech concert in Hershey. Except for a scattered songs, almost the entire setlist songs were their protest/political songs from Buffalo Springfield days up to Neil Young's Living With War songs.

One of the joys of the concert for me was the mostly enthusiastic audience singalong of "Let's Impeach the President" with the lyrics scrolling on the screen.

With various poignant backdrops and backscreens.

Nothing subtle about this concert.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:32 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Did Dan Quayle walk out?
Old 08-27-2006, 11:14 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think he walked out about the time he discovered it wasn't Neil Diamond and Bing Crosby--which was about halfway through the second set.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Old 08-27-2006, 04:48 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Wow. I want to go to this show.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:22 PM
Old 08-27-2006, 06:13 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

^Enjoyed that.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:16 PM   #27
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet

How is it possible that conservatives are still linking the Iraqi war with 9/11? We know that Cheney, Rumsfeld et al were pushing to go to war with Iraq before Bush even took office (Project for a New American Century).
We did not have to start this war against Iraq. The arguments that were used to defend the Vietnam war are the same ones used today, just substitute "terrorism" for "communism."
Does Gibson honestly believe that "doves" see bin Laden as anti-war? How insulting! I despise the bin Laden's of the world as much, if not more, as a "dove." I loathe any form of hatred, intolerance, aggressive combat.
Why shouldn't we feel threatened by our president? He has resurrected the Reganian world view. We are good, fighting evil. Our fearless leader is leading the way against evil. We can do no wrong.
Nothing could be further than the truth. If America is to be great, it must be willing to examine our weaknesses. True strength lies in the ability to continue to better oneself.
I take it that you did not see communism as a threat to the entire free world. Like the forces of Marxism, militant Islamicists are looking to spread their ideology across the globe. In this case, however, it is the implementation of Islamic law rather than communist doctrine that the revolutionaries hope to achieve.

In this sense, the United States (and the rest of the free world, whether or not it wants to admit it) is engaged in a worldwide conflict against a formidable enemy that would kill millions to achieve its goals. America is far from perfect, as evidenced by some of its ill-advised and misbegotten domestic and foreign policy decisions, but to imply that its cause is unjust and immoral is a bit hard for me to swallow.

There is a threat, as evidenced with 9/11, Madrid, London, Bombay, Bali, etc., to destroy democracy and replace it with this current retread of medieval Islamicism. It may not be an obvious threat like Soviet Russia or Nazi Germany with their huge armies and military stockpiles, but in a nuclear age who really needs them. One nuclear weapon can do more damage than any society would willing to bear, so inaction cannot be an option.

One thing that kept the Soviets at bay for the duration of the Cold War was their desire for self-preservation, even above the advancement of their ideology. It is obvious from the sheer number of suicide attacks, however, that this is of little concern to militant Islamicists.

The enemy has the will to destroy entire societies to advance its agenda, must we also wait until it has the means?