Live Doped? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2005, 09:05 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Live Doped?

Kernal of truth?
Sour French grapes?

Tour Chief Says Armstrong Owes Explanation

Quote:
PARIS (AP) - The director of the Tour de France claims Lance Armstrong has "fooled" the sports world and that the seven-time champion owes fans an explanation over new allegations he used a performance-boosting drug.

Tour director Jean-Marie Leblanc's comments appeared in the French sports daily L'Equipe on Wednesday, a day after the newspaper reported that six urine samples provided by Armstrong during the '99 Tour tested positive for the red blood cell-booster EPO.

"For the first time - and these are no longer rumors, or insinuations, these are proven scientific facts - someone has shown me that in 1999, Armstrong had a banned substance called EPO in his body," Leblanc told L'Equipe.

I love the classic political argument tool: you doped, prove us wrong.

Quote:
"The ball is now in his court. Why, how, by whom? He owes explanations to us and to everyone who follows the tour. Today, what L'Equipe revealed shows me that I was fooled. We were all fooled."

Old 08-24-2005, 09:18 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:50 PM
I love that they use a sample from six years ago. It makes me a little suspicious. Some people really have it out for Lance.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:19 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 12:50 AM
I really hope it isn't true. Lance is a hero to so many people, myself included. I would really hate to see anything tarnish his image.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:49 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:50 AM
Without singling out any individual cyclists, I have no faith that doping has been cracked down on in professional cycling.

I believe the practise is rife, that is why I no longer watch the Tour.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:04 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Live Doped?

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I love the classic political argument tool: you doped, prove us wrong.
It might be because a lot of Europe's justice system is based on presumption of guilt, rather than innocence; and, as such, the burden is placed on the defense to prove that they are not guilty.

Anyway, it's all kind of silly in the end.

Melon
Old 08-24-2005, 10:09 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

The lab that performed these tests can't confirm which ones are Armstrong's because the samples are unnamed. They could belong to anyone. The French newspaper making these claims, L'Equipe, says they got a hold of documents that match the numbers to Armstrong's name, but really, come on. How many times has this paper done things like this in the past? They've always tried to find some way to discredit him, and it's never worked.

The French media, and L'Equipe in particular, are frustrated that nobody from their own country has won the Tour de France for 20 years now, and that an American has dominated their race for the last seven. Do you think we'd see this type of journalism if a Frenchman had won the last seven in a row? I seriously doubt it.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:14 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Do you think we'd see this type of journalism if a Frenchman had won the last seven in a row? I seriously doubt it.
Oh I'd agree that there is an element of Armstrong being singled out for special treatment by the French media (I don't remember them being particularly diligent in investigating doping during the 1980's, when French cyclists were on top) but that doesn't really answer the broader question as to whether professional cycling (and athletics for that matter) has cleaned up its act.

Do people think professional cycling as a whole is clean? I don't.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:17 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I agree, it's not 100% clean. But with all the testing they do now and the way it has advanced, I think it's a lot cleaner than it used to be.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:35 AM   #9
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:50 AM
I really, really hope this isn't true. I've had a fierce admiration for Lance Armstrong for a looooong time. He always just seemed so classy and steady and levelheaded compared to other professional athletes; for me, he's in a class with people like Mario Lemieux and Cal Ripken, Jr. and a precious few other athletes that I really think are still good role models.

I still Lance and I truly think he's clean.

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:41 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Lance is no more doped up than anyone else.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:59 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

This sounds like some real objective reporting on the part of the French Newspaper.

L'Equipe is owned by the Amaury Group whose subsidiary, Amaury Sport Organization, organizes the Tour de France and other sporting events. The paper often questioned Armstrong's clean record and frequently took jabs at him -- portraying him as too arrogant, too corporate and too good to be real.

"Never to such an extent, probably, has the departure of a champion been welcomed with such widespread relief," the paper griped the day after Armstrong won his seventh straight Tour win and retired from cycling.

Will they stop at nothing to destroy this man's image?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:08 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Re: Re: Live Doped?

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

It might be because a lot of Europe's justice system is based on presumption of guilt, rather than innocence; and, as such, the burden is placed on the defense to prove that they are not guilty.

Anyway, it's all kind of silly in the end.

Melon
You got me thinking about this - so I looked it up. The French have a presumption of innocence:

Quote:
In France, article 9 of the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, of constitutional value, says "Every man is supposed innocent until having been declared guilty." and the preliminary article of the code of criminal procedure says "any suspected or prosecuted person is presumed to be innocent until his guilt has been established". The jurors' oath reiterates this assertion.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:16 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

If you guys truly believe that someone can win seven Tours in a drug infested sport without ever having 'dabbled', then that's your look out. I call it naive, but that's just me.

But as I said, the French media are hypocrites regarding the wider issue.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:34 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
If you guys truly believe that someone can win seven Tours in a drug infested sport without ever having 'dabbled', then that's your look out. I call it naive, but that's just me.
what he said.

also, doesn't he only train and race one event per year? i never thought that was very classy.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:05 PM   #15
War Child

Professional cycling has never been clean, so why should it be clean now??? Or why should Armstrong havebeen clean.. I don't believe he's totally clean, many of the riders aren't, but that doesn't make the sport any easier...