Live Doped? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2005, 06:57 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:02 PM
How do you define hero? Not too many people can bear too close scrutiny.

But if you're looking for the "idea" of a hero or using what inspires you, I'm all for it.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:27 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
but damn, doesn't anybody believe in goodness or heroes any longer?
I agree. Why do they have to drag everyone through the dirt? Just because the guy isn't French.............

Old 08-27-2005, 07:28 PM   #48
Refugee

the culture of the world today is based on finding the bad in the world. I find that really sad. People would rather hear about all the wrong that a person has done instead of all the good. It's no wonder depression, hoplessness and suicide are all time highs.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:34 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
the culture of the world today is based on finding the bad in the world. I find that really sad. People would rather hear about all the wrong that a person has done instead of all the good. It's no wonder depression, hoplessness and suicide are all time highs.

But for the sake of argument, who would be more of a hero to you, an athlete who played fair and lost every race, or one who cheated and won loads of medals?
Old 08-27-2005, 07:48 PM   #50
Refugee

of course the one that played fair. It just seems that people are always looking for a reason to tear somebody else down.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:04 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:02 PM
A hero for me is someone who always does the morally and ethically correct thing, regardless of personal consequences. Sure that person won't always come out the "winner" but there is only one way to truly win in life as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:44 AM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:02 AM
I disagree, heroes make mistakes, they are not always right and sometimes they have to do some pretty bad things to achieve better ends.

Selflessness versus Selfishness can be an aspect of heroism.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:20 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
A hero for me is someone who always does the morally and ethically correct thing, regardless of personal consequences. Sure that person won't always come out the "winner" but there is only one way to truly win in life as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with that as a definition of hero. I think it is hard to recognizewith a public figure, because we do not know the private lives.

Is there moral and ethical behavior when the spotlight is not on?
Since I don't know, I remain neutral on hero status and admire the accomplishments. Lance Armstrong is the premiere athlete in his sport, with or without enhancements and I remain neutral on that also. We'll have to see everybody else's B samples too. And he remains the premier athlete unless and until someone topples him at a future date.

The press builds up and when the subject rises too high, the press tears down. Both the buildup and the teardown are an unfortunate aspect of the media. It creates cynics of many of us.

That being said, Lance Armstrong may be all he is touted to be. I just don't know. But I think it is healthy to have faith in your heroes, just leave the rose-colored glasses at home.

I don't know that I agree with Wanderer's assessment that a hero's ends may justify the means. But it is certainly and pragmatic point of view and Wanderer is ever the pragmitist.

I waiver somewhere between idealism and pragmatism and I haven't made peace with it yet.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:24 AM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:02 AM
Maybe we should legalise performance enhancing drugs. Better athletes, new scores, a set of legal innovations in the field with more regulation that could minimise risk to athletes.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:40 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Well, it would end the hypocrisy of the sports world and the rabid sporting fan. We want great physical performance, high scores,
shattered records, but we don't want to hear the dirty little secrets. You don't get it both ways.

Kind of like the illusion that the best college athletes aren't in actuality professional.

Maybe we can add a sports award. MVE. Most Valuable Enhancement.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:45 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Athletes are human beings with something extra special, their achievements, made with incredible sacrifice and effort and talent, and yes, sometimes with performance enhancers to boot, like some of the baseball players.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug...v=ap&type=lgns

GENEVA (AP) -- Cycling's governing body said Friday it had received no evidence of doping by Lance Armstrong and criticized world doping authorities and a French sports newspaper for making allegations against the seven-time Tour de France champion.

``The UCI has not to date received any official information or document'' from anti-doping authorities or the laboratory reportedly involved in the testing of urine samples from the 1999 Tour de France, the cycling federation said.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:57 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

And supposedly Lance Armstrong is so angry about this that he's considering going for another win next year, just to piss the French media off.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:13 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
And supposedly Lance Armstrong is so angry about this that he's considering going for another win next year, just to piss the French media off.
Go for it Lance

Besides, don't we have the French to thank for the location of New Orleans.....
Old 09-09-2005, 03:20 PM   #60
War Child

Fuck you France