Live Doped?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
he's on Larry King tonight

Thursday's show

In a CNN exclusive interview, Lance Armstrong responds to accusations that he used banned substances to win the Tour de France

I don't think they can prove Lance took performance-enhancers. The French are like the rest of us, they get uptight if their own aren't winning their big sports events. It's sour grapes.

I joined Lance's web site and this is posted there

Speaking to a small group of reporters from a hotel in Washington, DC, following a rousing affair at the Silver Spring, MD, headquarters of the Discovery Channel, where he was congratulated for his latest Tour de France victory by a throng of employees from his team's title sponsor, Lance Armstrong defended himself against the latest accusations by the French media, first reported in the sports daily, L'Equipe, yesterday.

Each reporter on the call had the opportunity to ask a question of Lance.

Comment on today's comments by Tour de France director Jean-Marie Leblanc:

"Like everybody, I was surprised. I actually spoke to Jean-Marie yesterday for about 30 minutes and he didn't say any of that stuff to me personally, so to wake up and read them this morning, I was caught a little bit off guard. But to say that I've fooled the fans is preposterous. I've been doing this a long time. We have not just one year of only 'B' samples to say I've fooled the fans, we have seven years of 'A' and 'B' samples and they're all negative. There's never been EPO in there. There's never been steroids in there. So to say after there are a few 'B' samples left around, and by the way, we can't prove if your right or wrong, you cannot defend yourself, to then to say you've wronged the fans and fooled the fans is absolutely unfair."

What was your impression following your phone call with Jean-Marie:

"I asked him to put himself in my position. We all know the history here. You know my history with the French. You know my history with the French media, the French Ministry of Sport, the organizers, the labs, the prosecutors, the police, etc. It has been a witch hunt. That was not just a catch phrase to put in the press release to be at the headline. I think all of us are smart enough to know that this has been going on for a long time, close to a decade.

So I asked him to put himself in my shoes. You give a guy a death sentence or you give him a permanent black eye or a serious blow to his reputation and whatever legacy he has, but you don't give him a 'B' sample or don't even give him a 'C' sample to test and confirm, or deny, there was EPO there. When I explained it like that, he was very understanding on the phone. I will say the comments that are rolling out now were said before he and I spoke because I caught him late at night and he gave the interview that was rolling today yesterday midday his time. When I hung up the phone, I said, 'look, you've got my phone number, my email address. If you've got any questions or concerns, you call me 24 hours a day, any time, any where, I'm here.'"

Talk about how this has hurt your reputation and what that means to the causes you represent:

"We haven't seen anything. We haven't seen any damage. The partners and sponsors that I've been involved with for a long time immediately wrote back letters of support. They're smart enough to understand the situation and they can look at this thing objectively, as they have for six or seven years, so nobody has questioned it or been concerned. Just today, we spent the entire day at Discovery. We had a great reception, talked to the employees, this was already planned before this came out, but nonetheless we had a great day. Yesterday, I spent half the day with PowerBar doing stuff for them and they've been great. Everybody along the way is fine. Again, I think they're taking a very objective view of the science, of the history here with the French, they're taking into consideration the four or five anti doping experts around the world that have gone on the record and said this is crazy. We've not had anybody pull out."

What can you say to the cancer community that consider you a hero/role model:

"I will not waiver at all from my statement that I've always said - I've never taken performance enhancing drugs. This is not proof of that. Yeah, you have a major story that was put out by L'Equipe but when you start to break it down, you say, OK, how did that happen? Then you look at the science behind it - almost everybody says 'well, that's not possible.' You start to look at the ethics behind it and say, 'Well, if it was possible, why is it then in the newspaper?' Ethically, how can you put a guy's name or prosecute a guy like that when he has no defense?

I will tell you two things, and I don't know how involved WADA was in this affair, but I know two pieces of the WADA code that are very important. Number one, if an athlete only has one sample left, it is strictly mandated that that sample must always remain anonymous. If any WADA accredited laboratory wants to use that sample, for experimentation, or scientific research, they must have the approval of the athlete. So right there, you have two serious violations of the new WADA code. Now, I don't need to tell you guys that Chatenay-Malabry is one of the main WADA labs in the world."

When and how did you first hear of this and did you know the samples existed?

"I found out Monday afternoon. Look, they have samples of Eddy Merckx in laboratories, so it doesn't surprise me at all that they have my samples. We knew that they had the samples in 2000, we offered to give them over. Clearly they've tested all of my samples since then to the highest degree. So, yeah, of course they have the samples - but I can tell you, when I gave those samples, there was not EPO in those samples, I guarantee you that."

What's the most objectionable thing about this affair?

"Where to start, where to start...I don't know. It's been a long love-hate relationship between myself and the French and I don't know what would encourage somebody to do something like this or even think about doing something like this. But I think when you couple the fact we don't know how long the samples were stored properly, if they were ever stored properly, you couple the questions from some of the leaders in that field as to whether or not you can ever test for that five, six years later.

L'Equipe has changed their position towards cycling, I think, in the last 6-12 months and they've taken a very aggressive, sensational approach. Obviously, this is great business for them. Unfortunately, I'm caught in the cross hairs. As we know, it could be potentially a much deeper issue between the UCI and the Tour de France with regards to the ProTour. It could be a much deeper issue with regards to certain people and their votes towards who won the Olympic bid for summer of 2012, etc., etc. This thing could go on and on. At the end of the day, it's up to most people, and you guys lead the people, it's up to you guys, to talk about the science behind it and is this a possibility or not?"

What do you think about the timing of this?

"I suppose they would have much preferred to have done this either at the start of the Tour or in the middle of the Tour and for whatever reason, they were delayed. That's the peak season for them in terms of selling papers. At the end of the day, that's what I think this is all about. This is an opportunity to sell a ton of papers. You devote an entire front page for days after days after days. You give it four of five pages of absolutely biased reporting and it sells."

Is this the lowest point for you in terms of your career, other than the cancer. Where does this rank?

"Absolutely not. Truth on my side, I know what happened and what I have, this is not the only six or eight or 10 samples ever given. You're talking about 300 samples. If you can show me another athlete that's been more drug tested in his life, please do. And you know what? People are going to come along and compare this to Rafeal Palmeiro or somebody else, well guess what? I've got two things to say to that - 'A' and a 'B' sample. You either defend yourself or you don't. And in this situation...how could I defend myself in this position other than say this is absolutely crazy? They talk about six samples being positive. As we all can go back and do the math from 1999, there were more samples given than that. Where did they all go? And who are the other athletes? Why is it just me? If your going to name one guy, aren't you naming the other 15 that they reportedly found? Does that sound fishy?"

Have you considered any legal action?

"Right now, we're considering all our options. As you all know, we have a few cases going on. We're on top of those, we're confident we're going to win those, we're absolutely going to win those. Do we want another one? Who do you take action against in this case? Is it WADA? Is it the Ministry? Is it L'Equipe? Is it the laboratory? Who is it? They're all at fault there. Ultimately, yeah, if you do have a trial you get to the bottom of it and you find out who sabotaged the process and you find out who leaked the details. But, in the meantime, it costs you a million, a million and a half dollars, costs you a couple years of your life. But guess what guys? I've got a lot of things I can do with a million and a half dollars that are a lot better than this and I've got a lot things better to do with two years of my life than deal with this. So ultimately, I'm going to have to ask myself that question."

I figure the people that believe he used will always believe that. The people that believe he did not use will always believe that. And the rest of us don't give a damn, and we will also continue to not give a damn.

Seriously, I'm not going to be too upset any way it goes. Performance enhancing drugs are rampant in many, many sports at all levels. :shrug:

indra said:
I figure the people that believe he used will always believe that. The people that believe he did not use will always believe that. And the rest of us don't give a damn, and we will also continue to not give a damn.

Seriously, I'm not going to be too upset any way it goes. Performance enhancing drugs are rampant in many, many sports at all levels. :shrug:

I agree. If it's a professional sport or athlete, I don't even care. Professional sports aren't about teamwork or athleticism, they're about money. Winning makes money. Performance enhancing drugs = more winning = more money. Oh well.

What is it with French athletic officials? Couldn't they make some expensive wine with all of the sour grapes? Wasn't it just a few years ago that their Olympic judges conspired with the Russians against some Canadian figure skater? Thank goodness they didn't conspire again and try to throw the gymnastics event for Svetlana last year. Even the NBC announcers were sad that Carly Patterson beat her, just as these French tabloid journalists are sad about Lance's victories.

~U2Alabama

what's wrong with this world? I don't mean to sound horrible to any of you that are doubting Lance because you have a right to think what you want to...but damn, doesn't anybody believe in goodness or heroes any longer?

LoveTown said:
but damn, doesn't anybody believe in goodness or heroes any longer?

In professional cycling and professional athletics, to be honest, no, I personally don't believe in 'goodness or heroes'.

I believe these sports to be tainted. Read English sports journalist David Walsh on the issue of drugs/performance enhancers in athletics and cycling, or Irish journalist Paul Kimmage in relation to cycling, these guys will tell you the truth about what goes on in these sports, most of the rest of the media just turns a blind eye.

Last edited:
that may be the case financeguy. It's sad that it's that bad. Maybe I'm too naive. I want Lance to be bigger than life. Maybe it's because I think this world needs heroes or maybe it's because he went through cancer and survived and went on to do what he did. It gives me hope for my dad in a way I suppose.

LoveTown said:
that may be the case financeguy. It's sad that it's that bad. Maybe I'm too naive. I want Lance to be bigger than life. Maybe it's because I think this world needs heroes or maybe it's because he went through cancer and survived and went on to do what he did. It gives me hope for my dad in a way I suppose.

Best wishes to your Dad, treatment of cancer is ever improving.

phanan said:

The testing for EPO began in 2001, and Armstrong hasn't tested positive for it during that time. Five tours right there.

Whether he did it beforehand or not, who knows? But I certainly don't regard what L'Equipe says as the truth, either.

Exactly. They're going back to standards (or lack thereof) in testing pre-2001 to try to take away his wins. How do they explain his mysterious victories since then, while they've had the advanced testing? Shocking! Let's sell some tabloids and bust open the sports world!

~U2Alabama

How do you define hero? Not too many people can bear too close scrutiny.

But if you're looking for the "idea" of a hero or using what inspires you, I'm all for it.

the culture of the world today is based on finding the bad in the world. I find that really sad. People would rather hear about all the wrong that a person has done instead of all the good. It's no wonder depression, hoplessness and suicide are all time highs.

LoveTown said:
the culture of the world today is based on finding the bad in the world. I find that really sad. People would rather hear about all the wrong that a person has done instead of all the good. It's no wonder depression, hoplessness and suicide are all time highs.

But for the sake of argument, who would be more of a hero to you, an athlete who played fair and lost every race, or one who cheated and won loads of medals?

of course the one that played fair. It just seems that people are always looking for a reason to tear somebody else down.

A hero for me is someone who always does the morally and ethically correct thing, regardless of personal consequences. Sure that person won't always come out the "winner" but there is only one way to truly win in life as far as I'm concerned.

I disagree, heroes make mistakes, they are not always right and sometimes they have to do some pretty bad things to achieve better ends.

Selflessness versus Selfishness can be an aspect of heroism.

MrsSpringsteen said:
A hero for me is someone who always does the morally and ethically correct thing, regardless of personal consequences. Sure that person won't always come out the "winner" but there is only one way to truly win in life as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with that as a definition of hero. I think it is hard to recognizewith a public figure, because we do not know the private lives.

Is there moral and ethical behavior when the spotlight is not on?
Since I don't know, I remain neutral on hero status and admire the accomplishments. Lance Armstrong is the premiere athlete in his sport, with or without enhancements and I remain neutral on that also. We'll have to see everybody else's B samples too. And he remains the premier athlete unless and until someone topples him at a future date.

The press builds up and when the subject rises too high, the press tears down. Both the buildup and the teardown are an unfortunate aspect of the media. It creates cynics of many of us.

That being said, Lance Armstrong may be all he is touted to be. I just don't know. But I think it is healthy to have faith in your heroes, just leave the rose-colored glasses at home.

I don't know that I agree with Wanderer's assessment that a hero's ends may justify the means. But it is certainly and pragmatic point of view and Wanderer is ever the pragmitist.

I waiver somewhere between idealism and pragmatism and I haven't made peace with it yet.

Maybe we should legalise performance enhancing drugs. Better athletes, new scores, a set of legal innovations in the field with more regulation that could minimise risk to athletes.

Well, it would end the hypocrisy of the sports world and the rabid sporting fan. We want great physical performance, high scores,
shattered records, but we don't want to hear the dirty little secrets. You don't get it both ways.

Kind of like the illusion that the best college athletes aren't in actuality professional.

Maybe we can add a sports award. MVE. Most Valuable Enhancement.

Last edited:
Athletes are human beings with something extra special, their achievements, made with incredible sacrifice and effort and talent, and yes, sometimes with performance enhancers to boot, like some of the baseball players.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-armstrong-doping&prov=ap&type=lgns

GENEVA (AP) -- Cycling's governing body said Friday it had received no evidence of doping by Lance Armstrong and criticized world doping authorities and a French sports newspaper for making allegations against the seven-time Tour de France champion.

``The UCI has not to date received any official information or document'' from anti-doping authorities or the laboratory reportedly involved in the testing of urine samples from the 1999 Tour de France, the cycling federation said.

phanan said:
And supposedly Lance Armstrong is so angry about this that he's considering going for another win next year, just to piss the French media off.

Go for it Lance :up:

Besides, don't we have the French to thank for the location of New Orleans..... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom