Live 8 Goodie Bags - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2005, 05:19 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Live 8 Goodie Bags

I wonder how many of the artists will take the stuff. It just doesn't seem all that appropriate to me. If they need to be "thanked" in that way maybe they shouln't do the concert-don't celebrities get enough free stuff already? And obviously they can buy all of this for themselves.

Live 8 Artists to Play for Free, but Take Home Bag of Gifts Worth As Much As $12,000

The Associated Press

Jun. 30, 2005 - Live 8 performers are playing for free, but local organizers plan to shower the celebrities with a Hugo Boss duffel bag loaded with high-fashion trinkets valued at about $3,000.

They'll also be able to add to their goodie bags with big-ticket items including Hugo Boss suits, valued at $800 to $1,000 each; XM satellite radios and subscriptions, $500; Gibson guitars, $2,000; Bertolucci watches, valued between $1,500 and $6,000; and other items.

In all, a celebrity could walk away with a bag of gifts worth as much as $12,000.

"We want this to be a thank-you to the celebrities who are giving up their time and energies," said Nicole Cashman, whose firm was tapped by Larry Magid's Electric Factory Concerts to put the bags together.

One ethicist said there is a disconnect in the fact that the rich gifts are being offered at a concert whose aim is bringing attention to poverty in Africa.

"It's not unethical, but it falls into the middle gray zone," Loyola Marymount University business and ethics professor Thomas White told The Philadelphia Inquirer. "Because on one hand the motivation is to help other people, while on the other hand the motivation is to help yourself, and that doesn't seem to go hand in hand."

Another ethics expert said he wonders why the companies who donated the gifts wouldn't just give the money to charity.

"There is nothing stopping the businesses from taking a stand, saying, `No, we are going to take this money, and we are going to give it to the charity,'" said Rushworth M. Kidder, president of the Institute for Global Ethics in Camden, Maine.

Old 07-01-2005, 05:26 AM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:33 AM
Wow, that really sounds quite outragious to me. I thought the point of doing a charity gig was that the artist don't get paid for it-in any way?

One asks himself indeed why the contributors to the goodie bags didn't just donate that budget to charity.

The answer : free publicity.

Old 07-01-2005, 05:38 AM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:33 AM
What? They shouldn't be given stuff like this as a thank you. They should be doing Live 8 because they believe strongly in the cause and should be happy to be there.

Old 07-01-2005, 05:55 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the soul waits

The answer : free publicity.
That's really what this is all about. It might sound ludicrous but that's what the companies' intent is on this "gift bag" thing.

I don't think it's "right" but I am not really outraged by this.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:27 AM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy

That's really what this is all about. It might sound ludicrous but that's what the companies' intent is on this "gift bag" thing.

I don't think it's "right" but I am not really outraged by this.
Well, I am outraged.
I think the artists should take a stand and refuse the goodies.
This will not be taken well by the hard-working audience, who will not likely be able to afford any of these items.

IF the artist deserve a gift, a less commercial item would maybe be better received. Really, it comes across shallow, imo.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:45 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think they should take this stuff either.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:52 AM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by celia
What? They shouldn't be given stuff like this as a thank you. They should be doing Live 8 because they believe strongly in the cause and should be happy to be there.

Word to the nth degree.

I've given up my free time and have done loads of volunteer work and I was lucky if the place I volunteered bought us a pizza.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:56 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:33 PM
The celebrities could auction off the goodie bags to raise money. I understand why companies do this but it seems twisted.

I can't remember who said it but in reference to all these perks celebrities get he said "now that I'm rich and famous no one will let me pay for anything"
Old 07-01-2005, 07:24 AM   #9
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:33 AM
This is not good! If they donate the bags to homeless kids or something it might be ok, but giving out this high priced stuff to the performers seems to defeat the purpose to the show.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:46 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:33 AM

12000$ could be going to something good. Not padding the lives of a bunch of cushy celebrities

Im sure Bono will look fantastic in his hugo boss suit though
Old 07-01-2005, 09:17 AM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

The worth $12,000 is somewhat decieving. It would be worth that if it were sold at retail. It costs the companies fractions of that. So actually the companies lose money but gain publicity. I wouldn't think less of the artists. I would find the companies to be very greedy if they were seeking publicity and weren't somehow giving to the cause, but we don't know what each of these companies is or is not giving.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:20 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

All technicalities aside, it just doesn't jive w/ me to take a $6000 watch when you're performing at a concert to raise awareness about people who for the most part might never see $6000 in their lifetime. I might be wrong about that, I'm not an expert about Africa and would never claim to be.

Sometimes it is about appearances and impressions
Old 07-01-2005, 10:38 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by redkat

I can't remember who said it but in reference to all these perks celebrities get he said "now that I'm rich and famous no one will let me pay for anything"
It was actually Larry, in a drummer magazine. He said that when they first started out, he couldn't afford nice drums, but now that he can afford them, they give them to him.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:39 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

If it's any consolation, none of these goods actually cost $12,000 to make. It's called "markup."

Melon
Old 07-01-2005, 07:48 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't know anything about these goody bags, but I have a feeling that whatever is in these bags were DONATED by companies to thank the performers for their time in participating in Live8.

Although the knowledge that you have just participated in a worldwide effort to save Africa's Future should be enough - don't you think?