Live 8 Goodie Bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well sorry anitram

I find many things in this forum to be nitpicking and not worth my time. I was just trying to start some sort of thread that had nothing to do w/ religion, Bush, or homosexuality-trust me, I'm not all bent out of shape over the goodie bags. I think I still have things in perspective, thanks. If you don't think my thread is worth your time, you don't have to read or participate in it :shrug:

MrsSpringsteen said:
some sort of thread that had nothing to do w/ religion, Bush, or homosexuality

I'm thinking, I'm thinking -- just give me a little time and I'll tie all three into this thread... :D

MrsSpringsteen said:
If you don't think my thread is worth your time, you don't have to read or participate in it :shrug:

I have not said that, and therefore don't know why you have inferred it nor why you continue to react in a particular way to posts of mine you disagree with (this is probably the 3rd or 4th time I can think of). Therefore perhaps you are right and I should not bother with your threads in the future as clearly there is some sort of disconnect that flew over my head.

There's nothing wrong with this thread. There is nothing wrong with debating it. I just don't think that in the context of Live 8 and the fight for Africa, a handful of goodie bags, being given out in Philly (as per ewen) is really a huge deal.

Anyway, best of luck. Hope you have a nice week.

anitram said:

...a handful of goodie bags, being given out in Philly (as per ewen) is really a huge deal.

:huh:

don't look at me, i wasn't handing them out. I was over here in Edinburgh all the time. :wink:

as someone said previously, if a company like Hugo Boss want to give out these goodie bags then that's up to that company and it does NO harm whatsoever to the cause. It's not Live 8 or the public that have paid for them. Anyway, the whole event was to raise awareness rather to raise money and these celebrities are used to getting far bigger things for free. Yes, I'd feel a little uncomfortable with Bono walking home with some luxurious freebies but I really can't see Bono doing that (but saying that none of us REALLY know Bono for real anyway, even though we all like to think we do, so who knows if he would) but, If he did accept a goodie bag (and again, no reports that there were any offered in London) then so what?...how much of his own personal money and time has he already spent on the Africa thing? I'd guess a good bit more than the street value of these Hugo Boss items. didn't Bono and the rest of U2 each donate $1 million to Africa recently?

That's just the way I interpreted what you said anitram, I probably misinterpreted it and I apologize. It's easy to do over the internet :) I don't necessarily "disagree" w/ what you said, just like I stated..anyway that's enough of that.

You have a great week too :)

MrsSpringsteen said:
well sorry anitram

I find many things in this forum to be nitpicking and not worth my time. I was just trying to start some sort of thread that had nothing to do w/ religion, Bush, or homosexuality-trust me, I'm not all bent out of shape over the goodie bags. I think I still have things in perspective, thanks. If you don't think my thread is worth your time, you don't have to read or participate in it :shrug:

even though i might not share entirely your viewpoint on this particular subject (i do a little bit but i'm more with anitram) i appreciate what you're doing. keep doing it, we need more topics of debate in here than the usual tired subjects.

I agree that it is a bit tacky,but lets hope that in the end that the positive outcome shadows the negative:wink:

Nothing is perfect. I don't think it takes away from the Live8 message or whatever if some company decides to try to get some free publicity. Who knows, they might have thrown in a nice sized donation to the cause as well.

Yes, there were about a handful of commercialesque things shown during the lull in between some acts, though most of that free time DID have some original footage of African camps and similar things shown during Live Aid...but it really didn't seem to dominate much time, it was negligible really. From my understanding these shows were free because of support from such companies...

Yea, I can see how some may think it's tacky. But I don't think it calls the merits of the artists intentions into question, whether or not they chose to accept the gifts.

What I think is really kinda lame is that a certain artist, according to rumor, backed out of the Philly show last minute because he "doesn't perform for free".

I agree it doesn't necessarily call the merits of the artist into question (though it does a little if they gleefully accept) but it certainly does of the manufacturer.
It's weird. If I was the promoter or somehow involved in the organisation, I'd fel this rather large need to do something to thank the artists for their time and efforts. It'd piss Mr Geldoff off if everyone tucked into a huge feed, and ironically so, he'd be correct. It's like Bono once said though. Theirs is a massive celebrity currency. It takes that kind of 'money' to get a message like this out. You cant have some pub band from Penrith. You need U2 and all the others who are big enough and celebrity enough with their influence and power to make people listen. What they are giving, while voluntary, is pretty huge. Who'd not want to thank them? What pisses me off about these goody bags is it isn't a simple thank you for the magnitude of what these performers have given. It's a corporate whoring of product and name. It is not the same thing and is entirely revolting of them.

Back
Top Bottom