Live 8 Goodie Bags - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2005, 08:21 PM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:32 PM
That's despicable to me, but what would be worse is if anyone actually takes the stuff. Yeah, it would be great if they donated it to charity, but how many would?

It's just wrong. About as wrong as the person who put the Live 8 tickets on eBay.

Old 07-02-2005, 08:14 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by aislinn
That's despicable to me, but what would be worse is if anyone actually takes the stuff. Yeah, it would be great if they donated it to charity, but how many would?

It's just wrong. About as wrong as the person who put the Live 8 tickets on eBay.
If someone was to donate the money they gain from selling Live 8 Tix to Unicef or Care or some other organization giving aid to 3rd world nations, I wouldn't have too much of a problem. But to use it for personal monetary gain is rather despicable.

Old 07-02-2005, 10:24 AM   #18
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:32 PM
20 years ago today I watched the first Live Aid - live and commercial free. I was watching the free streanm on aol but they couldn't keep up. MTV has freakin commercials every 5 minutes so they're cashing in big time.

Couldn't they just have social justice as their purpose 1 f***ing time?
Old 07-02-2005, 12:28 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:32 PM
It appears there is money to be made in poverty relief
Old 07-02-2005, 04:25 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:32 PM
There's always a way for corporations to take a tax write off for contributing to "charitable causes".
Old 07-02-2005, 08:00 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:12 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:32 PM
I'd love to see some of those goodies signed by some of the performers and auctioned or raffled off for various good causes. Now that would be very cool.

(I like the raffle idea because the ticket price could be low enough to allow many more people to have a chance at the item, and so it could be great for fans who aren't stinking rich too. )
Old 07-03-2005, 04:26 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Before we all get a way ahead of ourselves here...

From what I have read, I believe that these "goodie bags" were offered to the artists in Philadelphia only. Doesn't mean it's right but it does mean you can probably forget about Bono asking the mrs later that night if his bum looked big in is Hugo Boss suit.

I am pretty positive that if anything like that went on in London, Sir Bob Geldof (at the very least) would have went nuts about it. When he went across the Atlantic in the 80s to be a part of 'We Are The World', it has been reported that he went nuts after finding out that the American celebrities were tucking into the finest food and drink during the session.

So, until the facts are confirmed can we please state that this 'goodie bag' behaviour was probably only actually happening at the US Live 8 show.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:35 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

well lots not even forget about the bling bling and designer clothing that was worn on probably all of the stages at some point. or the fact that most of those people will go back to their bazillion dollar mansions at the end of the day. and i criticise as i sit here typing on my $1400 laptop. it's all very questionable.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:53 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:32 PM
with ALL of the GOOD that this event has done

all of the time the performers have GIVEN to this

and some of you choose to nit pick?

unbelievable!
Old 07-03-2005, 01:36 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I don't understand why this is contentious at all.

The suggestion that the celebrities performed so they could get these goodies is absolutely ridiculous given their wealth and the ability to purchase all these items many times over.

If some company wants to give them thanks in the form of free advertising, so what? I don't see how it defeats the purpose.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:49 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

The suggestion that the celebrities performed so they could get these goodies is absolutely ridiculous given their wealth and the ability to purchase all these items many times over.

If some company wants to give them thanks in the form of free advertising, so what? I don't see how it defeats the purpose.
I agree.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:24 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think anyone was suggesting they performed to get these items, obviously they can purchase whatever they want..that's sort of the point. Why do they have to take freebies even at something like this? A thank you if they need one might be in the form of the satisfaction of doing something positive to raise awareness or whatever. I'm broke but I'd still feel uncomfortable taking things for doing something to raise awareness about poverty.

I think it's tacky and yes I'm aware that they all have bling or whatever-Bono in his D&G jacket on stage (which I assume he purchased himself or received for something other than Live 8). But in my opinion a line should be drawn somewhere.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I agree.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

I agree it's tacky. I just don't find it upsetting nor do I think it is worth anybody's time to seriously complain and nitpick about details which in the long run, given the context of the day and our time, are absolutely and completely inconsequential. JHMO, of course.