Litigious Society - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2006, 04:02 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:45 PM
Anti-discrimination laws, while they do serve an important purpose for maintaining civil society, sometimes forces the hand of less that reputable employers who would hold racist or sexist views. In this case as it's FexEx we aren't talking about a situation where that is entirely relevent.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:09 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:45 AM

I often wonder where figures such as $61 million come from. Do they just make it up or is some sort of calculation involved? Anyway, I'd have to agree with BVS that the amount of money awarded seems excessive.

I've also worked a lot in blue collar environments (which apparently makes me an expert on these things), and it's true that there's more teasing going on there than in white collar environments. However, there clearly are limits and for me personally you go over the line when someone takes offense (which, if the story is true, these two guys have and they've taken it up with their boss) or if you violate company policy (the company obviously "has strong anti-discriminatory policies").

Were you their lawyer 4U2Play? Because that might explain the high amount.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:40 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
Were you their lawyer 4U2Play? Because that might explain the high amount.
Damn, I wish.

What the hell am I doing in my blue collar job defending myself against racial epithets all day long when I could be out there suing the hell out all these racist companies. Someone gave me some bad advice.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:45 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:45 PM
Harassment and ethnic slurs are "male bonding"? I guess sexual harassment is "male bonding" too. Says some good things about men, I like to try to give them more credit than that. Harassment at work can break someone to the point of suicide, and that's no joke.

No one has any right to harass and insult someone in a work environment. It's not just considered "kidding around" by most people. I think the large dollar amount indicates that people are sick of that behavior. It's making a statement, usually dollar amounts such as that are an attempt to do that.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:41 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

$61 million is excessive to the point that it's sickening. Apparently if I ever want to live on easy street suing for "emotional distress" is the way to go. What happened to them isn't right, but lets cut the winnings down to a years salary or something. The world would be a much better place if people still subscribed to sticks and stones....
Old 06-05-2006, 08:59 AM   #21
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:45 PM
Words can be a very powerful weapon.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Words can be a very powerful weapon.
Yes indeed they can. I don't think most people who haven't been affected by words in a certain way/haven't been subjected to verbal abuse can appreciate what it's like-not to mention the fact that it can be relentless, continuous, torturous. And it's not just the words, it's the intent behind them. It is emotional abuse, if you don't think so ask someone who has been through it - ask them what it did to them emotionally, mentally, physically.

People also have varying degrees of sensitivity, though I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can think that being called a terrorist and a camel jockey day after day could just run off someone's back
Old 06-05-2006, 10:19 AM   #23
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:45 PM

There is a big difference between playful teasing amongst co-workers and truly hurtful words.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 06-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
I often wonder where figures such as $61 million come from. Do they just make it up or is some sort of calculation involved? Anyway, I'd have to agree with BVS that the amount of money awarded seems excessive.
Juries have wide latitude when formulating damage awards. It is fairly clear these are not compensatory damages, but punitive damages.

There is an old case that found $1000 appropriate as punitive damages when the compensatory damages were only $1. This worked its way into case law to permit large ratios for punitive damages. Also, the size and profitability of a company is considered.

As for the lawsuit, it furthers the problem in the law where only certain bad acts are punished, while others are free to go on. You can call people offensive, derogatory words without fear of punishment - unless you cross select lines.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:45 AM
The verdict is excessive. $61 million for that?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:13 PM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 08:45 PM
61 MILLION!!!
That is Bullshit plain and simple.