Lifelong Detention of GITMO Prisoners? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2005, 07:14 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:52 AM
Lifelong Detention of GITMO Prisoners?

The administration is allegedly looking to build a facility in Cuba that would house detainees for up to life. In particular they are looking at hilding people that they lack full evidence to prosecute in a military or civilian court. I am at the breaking point on this issue. If this is the answer to the HOW LONG? question...then I say free them.

Old 01-02-2005, 07:42 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

apparently "justice" doesn't apply to everyone but can be meted out discriminately. And here I thought it was a universal principle that should apply to all regardless.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:45 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:52 AM
A concentration camp without the gaschaimbers. Abortion of the unwanted.

There will be lot of protest against it,..yes ?
Old 01-02-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
New Yorker

Powell was asked specifically about this on MTP twice. He said he had no information about it. The way he reacted was in a way that made it seem true and an extremely sensitive subject.

I think it is disgusting and against all our constitution means.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]Do you see any other parallels with white-ruled South Africa?
Look at the [detentions in] Guantanamo Bay. You say, why do you detain people without trial in the fashion that you have done? And when they give the answer security, you say no, no, no, this can't be America. This is what we used to hear in South Africa. It's unbelievable that a country that many of us have looked to as the bastion of true freedom could now have eroded so many of the liberties we believed were upheld almost religiously. [But] feeling as devastated in many ways as I am, it is wonderful to find that there are [also] Americans who have felt very strongly [about administration policies]—the people who turned out for rallies against the war. One always has to be very careful not to do what we used to do here, where you generalize very facilely, and one has to remember that there are very many Americans who are feeling deeply distressed about what has taken place in their country. We take our hats off to them. [/Q]

Desmond Tutu
Old 01-02-2005, 02:42 PM   #6
New Yorker

Is that from his speech in NY? They showed a portion of it on another show. I couldn't agree more. Thanks for the quote.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:34 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Uh, yeah. Richard Lugar (R-IN) and Carl Levin (D-MI) have already explained why it's a terrible idea.

link

The sad fact is that, probabilistically speaking, a fair number of these guys ARE terrorists, we just don't have hard evidence on them. We just have to let them go and try to kill them in action at a later time. They're not just going to go home to their wives and kids, like legitimate soldiers do.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:34 PM   #8
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:52 PM
Quote:
' "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." That one sentence is what distinguishes America from every other country on earth.
...'
-From honour Among Thieves, Jeffrey Archer. In relation to The Unanimous Declaration of the Thirteen United States of America.

Sure he's not American, but did he get this wrong?

America's policy makers should hang their heads in shame.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:52 AM
Re: Lifelong Detention of GITMO Prisoners?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
In particular they are looking at hilding people that they lack full evidence to prosecute in a military or civilian court.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't our justice system one where we have to have full evidence that a person did something wrong in order to punish them? That's what I've always been taught.

If they're going to punish people without full evidence that they're guilty, then that already gets this deal a major from me.

Angela
Old 01-03-2005, 04:01 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

This is why they are not on American soil. The governement is trying to avoid giving them due process.

Speedracer, as sick as that concept is to me, yeah, that is what we have to do.

"and you become a monster, so the monster will not break you."
Old 01-03-2005, 04:24 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:52 AM
The last time these guys were released, 2 chinese were kidnapped..one was killed...

Release them...but NOT near my country.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:02 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

MR. RUSSERT: There's a front-page report in The Washington Post today that the administration is considering a prison to detain alleged terrorists where they do not have enough evidence to bring them to prosecution. What's your role in that and do you seem...

SEC'Y POWELL: I am not familiar with that and I can't talk to it.

MR. RUSSERT: The State Department is involved.

SEC'Y POWELL: I just don't have the facts on that one.

MR. RUSSERT: Why would the United States detain people for life without bringing them to trial?

SEC'Y POWELL: I have no information on this one, Tim
Old 01-12-2005, 06:40 PM   #13
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:52 AM
It's a very tough issue. You have stateless terrorists leaving their homes and countries to fight American soldiers. Lets assume the Iraq war never happened. What do we do with these people? In a war against a state, treaties are signed after resolution of conflict and prisoners are released. There's no one to sign a treaty with. Should we release them? Why capture them in the first place? A lot of these people aren't Afghanis who picked up guns to defend their country, they're Arabs who picked up and left their homes and families to kill Americans and defend the murderers of 9/11. If we let them go they'll do the same thing again. The government has a duty to protect the people.

Not an easy issue and not easily solved. But my heart does not bleed for these people. There are tons of prisoners of conscience around the globe who deserve more attention. All these detainees deserve is food and water.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:45 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:52 PM
Well one must acknowledge the idea of ten guilty men walking free rather than one innocent man remaining imprisoned is not a sound principles when dealing with mass murderers. It is a very risky business and gathering intelligence of one particular individuals movements prior to arrest in places like Baluchistan is very difficult. I would lean towards realising these individuals once enough intelligence has been gathered but implanting them with some sort of tracking device.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by drhark
It's a very tough issue. You have stateless terrorists leaving their homes and countries to fight American soldiers. Lets assume the Iraq war never happened. What do we do with these people? In a war against a state, treaties are signed after resolution of conflict and prisoners are released. There's no one to sign a treaty with. Should we release them? Why capture them in the first place? A lot of these people aren't Afghanis who picked up guns to defend their country, they're Arabs who picked up and left their homes and families to kill Americans and defend the murderers of 9/11. If we let them go they'll do the same thing again. The government has a duty to protect the people.

Not an easy issue and not easily solved. But my heart does not bleed for these people. There are tons of prisoners of conscience around the globe who deserve more attention. All these detainees deserve is food and water.
So we throw out the rules because they threw out the rules? Some of these men could be completely innocent, at the wrong place at the wrong time, yet we don't give them a trial? We apparantly had enough evidence to pick them up right?

If we let these men rot without a chance of justice then we're no better than the enemy we're fighting. Is this an example of your "big idea" of freedom?