Life just gets worse in Iraq - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
When did the US start shipping AK-47's?
if it is true

the arms were not meant for U. S. forces

"It follows a separate probe claiming that thousands of guns meant for Iraq's police and army instead went to al-Qaeda"

with all the "private contracting" profiteering and corruption things are out of control

Old 05-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Typically, we are our allies with US made products. Then you can hit them for parts and maintenance.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:00 AM
Quote:
Typically, we are our allies with US made products. Then you can hit them for parts and maintenance.
The new Iraqi military is being armed with Russian made equipment from former Warsaw Pact countries in Eastern Europe. It was decided to go this route since the equipment is being donated by the Eastern European countries, and is easier to operate and more familiar to Iraqi veterans.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:57 AM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:00 PM
Quote:
Obviously the sinister industrialists behind all this didn't forsee this.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:20 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Bush: Militias are 'main challenge' for Iraq

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush said on Friday that "perhaps the main challenge" in Iraq are militia groups, and he said the government must tackle the problem of these private armed forces, which are linked to political movements and suspected of sectarian killings and vigilante activities.

Speaking after a meeting of present and former secretaries of state and defense, Bush said "it's going to be up to the government to step up and take care" of militias "so that the Iraqi people are confident in the security of their country."
Is Bush getting ready to do some heavy lifting all by himself?

i.e. (throw in the towel )
Old 05-18-2006, 01:35 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:00 PM
I saw this photo in the paper this morning and it's been on my mind all day

An unidentified woman, left, comforts Cyndi Quinton, widow of Spc. Bryan Quinton, 24, as she lies her head on his casket during the graveside service at Green Hill Cemetery in Sapulpa, Okla., Wednesday May 17, 2006. Quinton and another soldier were killed May 4 in Iraq when a roadside bomb went off near their military vehicle in Baghdad. He served with the 5th Engineer Battalion, 1st Engineer Brigade, out of Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:10 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Blake was staring at the sunrise. He was on a rooftop in Fallouja, sucking on a Marlboro and wondering whether he would live to see Jessica and his father and brothers again.

Luis Sinco, a Times photographer, was crouched next to the corporal, taking cover behind a rooftop wall. There was a break in the all-night firefight after an Abrams tank, radioed in by Blake, destroyed a house filled with insurgents.

Sinco pressed the shutter.

He did not consider the image particularly special. It was the last shot he filed that day.

The photo appeared Nov. 10, 2004, and was distributed worldwide by the Associated Press. More than 100 newspapers published it. TV and cable networks aired feature stories about the Marine's lost, distant look. Some noted the trickle of blood on his nose — caused not by enemy fire, but by Blake's rifle sight when it bumped his face.

Blake was unaware that Sinco had photographed him. Two days later, he recalled, his gunnery sergeant told him: "Miller, your ugly mug is on the front page of all the newspapers back home, Marlboro Man."

The impact of the photo didn't fully register until a three-star general showed up in Fallouja. Blake said the general suggested moving him out of combat for fear that morale would plummet if anything happened to the Marines' new media star, but he refused to leave. Later, President Bush sent him a letter and a cigar.

When Jessica saw the photo on the front page of the local paper, she had not heard from Blake in a week.

"I was glad to know he was alive, but I couldn't stop crying," she said. "The scared look on his face, his eyes — it tore me up."

In early January 2005, as Blake's unit prepared to leave Iraq, what Marines call a "wizard" — a psychiatrist — gave a required "warrior transitioning" talk about PTSD and adjusting to home life. Blake didn't think much about it until he returned to Jonancy in late January and his nightmares began.

He dreamed about the 40 enemy corpses that he counted after the tank demolished the house, he said, and that he had been shot.

"He'd jump out of bed and fall to the floor," Jessica said. "I'd have to hold him to get him to wake up, and then he'd hug me for the longest time."

Sometimes, Blake mutters Arabic phrases he learned in Iraq or grimaces in his sleep, and Jessica will keep whispering his name until he wakes up. Some nights, he doesn't sleep at all.

"I tend to drink a lot just to be able to sleep," Blake said. "Nothing else puts me to sleep."

Meanwhile, he has slowly turned against the war. "We've done some humanitarian aid," Blake said, "but what good have we actually done, and what has America gained except a lot of deaths? It burns me up."

Jessica, who sports an "I Love My Marine" sticker on her car, says she and Blake are behind the troops though they no longer support the war.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...adlines-nation
Old 05-31-2006, 08:54 AM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

TimeOnline UK

Tennis team killed for wearing shorts
From Ned Parker in Baghdad

The coach of the Iraqi national tennis team and two of his players were shot dead in Baghdad, apparently for wearing shorts, in a district where Islamic radicals have started to enforce brutal, Taleban-style law.

Hussein Ahmed Rashid was shot at close range with two of his players, Nasser Ali Hatem and Wissam Adel Auda, in the al-Saidiyah neighbourhood, a national Olympic Committee official said.

One of the players, wearing shorts, had left the car to drop off some items at a laundry. When he returned to the vehicle, gunmen in a grey saloon car swerved and blocked the players’ car, witnesses said.

Three men in civilian clothes surrounded the car and ordered the passengers to get out. When they refused, one of the men produced a revolver and shot the players. The coach sat helplessly in the back while the assailants dragged out the players’ bodies and dumped them in the road. Then one of the assailants cocked a handgun and shot the coach in the head.

The dead men were wearing green sports jerseys emblazoned with the word “Iraq”. One of the shirts bore an Olympics patch.

An Iraqi National Guard checkpoint was about 100m from the site of the ambush, but the soldiers did nothing, witnesses said. They added that gunmen had used the same car in the past two months during attacks on the owner of an electrical parts shop and a pedestrian. Local people suspect that the murders have been carried out by the Islamic militants roaming al-Saidiyah and the adjoining district of al-Amariyah.

Radicals have been leaving leaflets at homes, forbidding women to drive or go outside without being veiled. The leaflet also warns men not to wear shorts or dress in T-shirts bearing images or English writing.

In addition, the leaflet forbids men from wearing goatee beards and anyone from buying mayonnaise. The leaflet threatens violators with death.

Islamic militants hold immense power in western and southern Baghdad, and they have been known to kill barbers who give American-style haircuts. The area is regarded as being as off limits to Westerners, where a visit can spell instant death.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:58 AM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:00 AM
Now the insurgents are killing athletes. Who's next?
Old 05-31-2006, 12:10 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Insurgents or enforcers of their brand of Islam?
Old 05-31-2006, 12:42 PM   #71
Blue Crack Supplier

it seems as if Iraq has finally discovered religion.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:39 AM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

(AP)Police found nine severed heads in fruit boxes near a volatile city northeast of Baghdad on Tuesday, authorities said, the second such discovery in less than a week.

A roadside bomb also exploded near an American military convoy in central Baghdad, killing a woman and wounding three pedestrians, Lt. Thair Mahmoud said. The three-vehicle convoy was traveling near one of Baghdad's bus stations when the bomb detonated. The convoy kept moving.

The boxes containing the heads — all from men — were discovered by a highway in the village of Hadid near Baqouba, a mixed Shiite-Sunni Arab city 35 miles northeast of Baghdad that has seen a recent rise in sectarian violence.

The heads were transferred to the city morgue and an investigation was under way, according to the Joint Cooperation Center, which is run by Iraqi and U.S. forces.

Iraqi police also found eight severed heads in the village on Saturday, with a note indicating at least one of those men had been killed in retaliation for the slaying of four Shiite doctors and a former governor during the administration of former Prime Minister Ayad Allawi.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:38 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Life Gets Worse For the Insurgency

Papers Show 'Gloomy' State of Insurgency

Quote:
A blueprint for trying to start a war between the United States and Iran was among a "huge treasure" of documents found in the hideout of terrorist leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, Iraqi officials said Thursday. The document, purporting to reflect al-Qaida policy and its cooperation with groups loyal to ousted President Saddam Hussein, also appear to show that the insurgency in Iraq was weakening.

The document said the insurgency was being hurt by, among other things, the U.S. military's program to train Iraqi security forces, by massive arrests and seizures of weapons, by tightening the militants' financial outlets, and by creating divisions within its ranks.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

The number of U.S. military deaths in the Iraq war has reached 2,500, the Pentagon said on Thursday

Reacting to the new milestone on combat deaths, White House press secretary Tony Snow said, "It's a number."

He said that Bush "feels very deeply the pain that the families feel."
Old 06-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Life Gets Worse For the Insurgency

Quote:
Papers Show 'Gloomy' State of Insurgency

while i think reports of the end of the Iraq war are highly exaggerated, i do think that we have had many positive developments over the past two weeks.

let me toss something out there as pure intellectual fodder. this is not a position i am taking, it is a question that i am asking:

do we really want to win a war that took place far, far outside of the Geneva Conventions and the United States Constitution?

after all the lies, the mistakes, the disdain for the international community, the hubris, the cultural ignorance, the disregard for the Constitution, the cover-ups, the vengeful CIA outings and the torture -- is *this* what it takes to win a war?

(and the whole "was it worth it" question will be saved for another time, another place)