Life just gets worse in Iraq - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2006, 11:46 PM   #226
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Most people who live in Iraq do not actually see the violence and the strife that makes the evening news on a daily basis.
and I bet you are wrong. You can spin it all you want, but I can't help but believe they see more than You even want to admit.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:00 PM   #227
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Maybe if hundreds of people weren't dying on a weekly basis, one could do that.

As it stands, it's just perverse.
really, i'm not entirely convinced sting2 isn't an alter by now.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #228
Refugee

Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
You know you have to perversely admire Sting's persistence.
I'm pretty sure he gets well paid for that persistence...that's the part I perversely admire. As far as I know, there's only one other person who gets paid for their involvement/participation on this site.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #229
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:16 PM
Old 11-27-2006, 05:37 PM   #230
Blue Crack Addict

Iran is not an Arabic country; it is Persian. Persians are Persians.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:56 PM   #231
The Fly

Local Time: 04:16 PM

yeah ! ! !
Old 11-27-2006, 05:59 PM   #232
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy

I'm pretty sure he gets well paid for that persistence...that's the part I perversely admire.
I'm not sure I should even ask, but wha? *sound of can of worms opening* hehe

Anyway, NBC News is now going to classify it as a civil war- will everyone else but Fox follow?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/1...r_n_34980.html

Today Show anchor Matt Lauer opened this morning with the news that NBC has now decided to classify the situation in Iraq as a civil war.

"For months now the White House has rejected claims that the situation in Iraq has deteriorated into civil war. And for the most part, news organizations like NBC have hesitated to characterize it as such. But after careful consideration, NBC news has decided to change in terminology as warranted that the situation in Iraq, with armed, militarized factions fighting for their own political agendas, can now be characterized as civil war"
Old 11-27-2006, 06:38 PM   #233
Blue Crack Supplier

Colin Powell has been calling it a civil war for months.

but this is all liberal media lies. they're just a bunch of unpatriotic Bush haters.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:10 PM   #234
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I'm not sure I should even ask, but wha? *sound of can of worms opening* hehe
lol - jus sayin it must be part of his day job - wouldn't it be nice if posting on interference was part of your job rather than hoping the IT police where you work don't catch up
Old 11-27-2006, 08:07 PM   #235
War Child

So, can't a change of Iraq status into a "civil war" actually help Bush with an exit strategy? "Hey, despite all our billions of investment, and helping the Iraq gov't come up with a constitution, the Iraqi people just want to fight. We're outta here. We're not coming back until they stop fighting and invite us back."

[Of course, a few thousand soldiers and private security personnel will be left behind to guard the oil fields and western oil companies' interests.]
Old 11-27-2006, 08:58 PM   #236
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Judah
So, can't a change of Iraq status into a "civil war" actually help Bush with an exit strategy? "Hey, despite all our billions of investment, and helping the Iraq gov't come up with a constitution, the Iraqi people just want to fight. We're outta here. We're not coming back until they stop fighting and invite us back."

[Of course, a few thousand soldiers and private security personnel will be left behind to guard the oil fields and western oil companies' interests.]
Interesting thought...............
Old 11-27-2006, 09:15 PM   #237
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:16 PM
Quote:
US F-16 goes down in Iraq

A US F-16 fighter aircraft has gone down near the city of Fallujah in western Iraq.

The US airforce said the plane's pilot was missing and an investigation into the cause of the incident had been launched.

However, and Iraqi journalist said local residents had reported seeing the F-16 being shot down.

Muthana Shakir, an Iraqi journalist in Baghdad told Al Jazeera: "We got credible news saying at 2pm on Monday a US F-16 warplane was downed in al-Garma neighbourhood near the western Iraqi city of Falluja."

"The warplane was downed over arable lands. Witnesses confirmed that the plane was fired on by gunmen's rockets when it was flying on low altitude."

William Caldwell, a US military spokesman, said he would be surprised if the jet was shot down as the F-16's fly very fast and have not encountered any weapons capable of taking them down in Iraq.
A spokesman said that the aircraft was lost while it was flying in support of ground operations taking place in Fallujah.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:02 AM   #238
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:16 PM
i'm still waiting for sting2 to say at some point

"well noone TOLD us this wasn't gonna work out! where were all the naysayers back in 2002/2003???"

thus the spin will have indeed reached a full circle.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:44 AM   #239
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:16 AM
Back in 2004 Bush was pronouncing "Al-Sadr must answer the charges against him and disband his illegal militia" and today it is the very inability to do so that is stepping the country to chaos. A 2006 with Iran going nuclear and Saddam Hussein next door would be a very bad scenario.

Abdicating responsibility over Iraq and stepping back for a genuine civil war (ethnic clensing and mass graves scale) iis not viable. The short term interest of stability may demand a junta or benign dictator - but that is a very slippery and dangerous slope (albeit one that this administration has proven willing and able to do in a lot of other instances). Iraq is not a closed system, the failure to engage progressives in the region and deal with Syria and Irans support of terrorists has had concequences in reconstruction and stability within Iraq - I don't see how the quid pro quo with those states that will be done makes Iraq anything more than an insane waste of lives, materials and will.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:50 AM   #240
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
[B] A 2006 with Iran going nuclear and Saddam Hussein next door would be a very bad scenario.
might a Saddam Hussein next door been a deterrant for Iran to have been as aggressive in its nuclear ambitions?