Life - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-18-2004, 10:31 PM   #1
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Life

We are born and we'll die. The only two absolutes in this world. Everything in between is up to us. Who believes this and who doesn't, and why?
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 12-18-2004, 10:38 PM   #2
Refugee
 
ImOuttaControl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,340
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Been listening to "I Am Mine" lately?
__________________

__________________
ImOuttaControl is offline  
Old 12-19-2004, 12:18 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 9,600
Local Time: 07:04 AM
What's to believe? What you stated is fact, I can't think of any other angles.
__________________
Kieran McConville is offline  
Old 12-19-2004, 12:38 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Re: Life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
We are born and we'll die. The only two absolutes in this world. Everything in between is up to us. Who believes this and who doesn't, and why?
I think there are things in this world that happen to people that aren't their doing -- children aren't responsible for getting AIDS, people have no control over where and when they are born (the conditions, or the prosperity of the area or family), the plane you're in crashes, or your house gets destroyed by a tornado -- people don't cause those, so things happen to people and I don't think it's because of anything the people affected did.

What I do believe is that despite the various things that can and do happen, both good and bad, each person is responsible for how he or she responds. Some people have horrific things happen to them and manage to not only survive but go on to be wonderful, positive forces in the world. Other people live charmed lives, yet are miserable excuses for human beings.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 12-19-2004, 01:42 AM   #5
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 08:04 AM
"The only 2 sure things in this world are death and taxes."

I dont necessarily believe in the 'everything inbetween is up to us' that you state...Hmm, no I dont believe it.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 12-19-2004, 05:38 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Everything in between is up to us...

Well, I guess there is some truth to that. We are solely responsible for our actions and our attitudes and choices in life. But like Indra said, a lot of things are out of our control.

I guess this proves the John Lennon quote, "Life is what happens while we're making plans"
__________________
Pearl is offline  
Old 12-19-2004, 06:12 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ZeroDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Belfast
Posts: 4,953
Local Time: 10:04 PM
Life is more truthfully a fucked up string of events that always finishes with death...........
__________________
ZeroDude is offline  
Old 12-19-2004, 07:45 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
dandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: styrofoam peanut commune
Posts: 4,310
Local Time: 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroDude
Life is more truthfully a fucked up string of events that always finishes with death...........
ah, cynicism.

__________________
dandy is offline  
Old 12-19-2004, 08:28 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 04:04 PM
I don't believe it. I believe we have freedom, but not freedom of the will. I'm a Calvinist, but also really love the theology of Jonathan Edwards, who makes the distinction between having freedom to make choices and having freedom of the will. Obviously, this is religious reasoning which usually people here are not interested in, but if you are I can explain better when I have more time...
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 12-19-2004, 09:32 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ZeroDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Belfast
Posts: 4,953
Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I don't believe it. I believe we have freedom, but not freedom of the will. I'm a Calvinist, but also really love the theology of Jonathan Edwards, who makes the distinction between having freedom to make choices and having freedom of the will. Obviously, this is religious reasoning which usually people here are not interested in, but if you are I can explain better when I have more time...
But was free will not God's gift to man, eh?
__________________
ZeroDude is offline  
Old 12-19-2004, 12:28 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
What's to believe? What you stated is fact, I can't think of any other angles.
Oh but there are many other angles...
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 12-19-2004, 12:29 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Re: Re: Life

Quote:
Originally posted by indra


What I do believe is that despite the various things that can and do happen, both good and bad, each person is responsible for how he or she responds. Some people have horrific things happen to them and manage to not only survive but go on to be wonderful, positive forces in the world. Other people live charmed lives, yet are miserable excuses for human beings.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 12-19-2004, 04:56 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroDude

But was free will not God's gift to man, eh?
Free will, yes. Freedom of the will, no, it's different.
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 12-19-2004, 07:42 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 04:04 PM
To those who have ears, let them here.
__________________
the iron horse is offline  
Old 12-19-2004, 09:18 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
Been listening to "I Am Mine" lately?
I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine, I am mine...

That song popped into my head after the first sentence of the first post. I can't really argue with that concept too much, except that we don't have total control over all the crap that goes on in our lives.
__________________

__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com