Lies And The Lying Liars Who Tell Them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Has anyone read this book? I haven't..but I'm curious if there is anything worthwhile in it..what Al rants about, etc...

I think Franken and O'Reilly should just have a boxing match and get it over with :D

There are too many political shock jocks on both sides of the aisle (no need for partisan rants).

I am sure there are better things to read out there.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:

I think Franken and O'Reilly should just have a boxing match and get it over with :D

I'd like to see that, too. Maybe Bill can use some of that gritty, working-class gumption he got from growing up poor in Leavittown. :wink:

I've read the book, and I enjoyed it very much. I did feel that some of the humor detracted from the message, but he is a comedian so I can't really fault him for that. Some of the lies got me pretty mad, like those told about the memorial service for Paul Wellstone. Overall, I'd highly recommend it.

nbcrusader said:
There are too many political shock jocks on both sides of the aisle (no need for partisan rants).

I am sure there are better things to read out there.

You should at least flip through it next time you're in a bookstore before you write it off as a work by a "political shock-jock", NB. That way you can form a more informed opinion about it.

ThatGuy said:
You should at least flip through it next time you're in a bookstore before you write it off as a work by a "political shock-jock", NB. That way you can form a more informed opinion about it.

I've seen the author on a couple of talk shows discussing the book. Satire that preaches to the choir.

Slander.jpg

But I guess we can look at our "fair and balanced" alternative...

Melon

Last edited:
I am reading the book now. What I like about it is Franken had 10 harvard students doing his research so it is at least factual, regardless of the conclusions he draws. I think it's worth a read. I especially enjoyed some of his humor.

Ann Coulter is loco, per many of her conservative peers.

Scarletwine,

And Harvard is known as a non-biased, centrist institution politically?

melon said:
Slander.jpg

But I guess we can look at our "fair and balanced" alternative...

Melon

Heh, really.

I haven't read her book, but just from what I've heard about her and about that book...:coocoo:.

I also haven't read Franken's book yet, either...but I did see Al on a show talking about it one night...got a lot more respect for him after seeing him on T.V. Someone needs to point out how screwed up Fox News is. I'm glad it was him.

Perhaps I'll look for both of those books and read them sometime soon.

Angela

nbcrusader said:

Is that an opinion of Coulter, conservative women in general, or women who don't agree with you?

No, just a JOKE about Coulter and the way she is. She's an attrative looking woman it's just when she's speak her conservative babble that I can't stand her :huh:
I don't know what made you say that I say the same thing to all women that disagree with me, bit odd to say that :eyebrow:

Last edited:
It was a reference to her being so "uptight". Being a conservative does not make one uptight.

It sounded like a disagreement with opinions turned into an attack on character.

nbcrusader said:
It was a reference to her being so "uptight". Being a conservative does not make one uptight.

It sounded like a disagreement with opinions turned into an attack on character.

Yea, wrong term to use. I guess I equate conservatism to being uptight. Other people in here a calling her "crazy" so I would say that's an attack of her character also :ohmy:
But again it was a joke, what else can I say :sexywink:

Ann Coulter is to conservatism as Howard Stern is to liberalism.

Take that as you will.

Melon

"Slander" is at work, but I haven't read it. I really don't like ideological polemics, either liberal or conservative. We also have a book of Michael Moore's and I haven't read it either.
*practicing equal opportunity reading habits*

Well! Fox bashing! My favourite!

Ok, that blonde woman who talks out the side of her mouth? Aside from what she says, the way she talks just really really annoys me.

And whatshisname Hannity is without a doubt the stupidest person to ever be employed by a 'news' network. His sidekick isn't much better.

My main issue with Fox isn't that it's right leaning, it's just how dumbed down it is. It's like you are watching a parody, but it's not. It's scary that people watch it as a serious news source.

FOX News is pretty much a television version of conservative talk radio. It has less to do with "news" as it does with "commentary."

Melon

pub crawler said:
melon, I might be misunderstanding you, but Howard Stern is quite conservative.

Sigh...

Irrespective of reality (Stern ran for political office once as a Libertarian, probably as a joke), Stern is perceived by the public and his detractors as "liberal." But he's a fanatic, whose rants are more "entertainment" than news. I would argue that, at the other end of the political spectrum, Coulter is the same--a fanatic, whose rants are more "entertainment" than news, although I think she certainly takes herself more seriously than Stern does.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom