Lies And The Lying Liars Who Tell Them - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2003, 12:59 AM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Sigh...

Irrespective of reality (Stern ran for political office once as a Libertarian, probably as a joke), Stern is perceived by the public and his detractors as "liberal." But he's a fanatic, whose rants are more "entertainment" than news. I would argue that, at the other end of the political spectrum, Coulter is the same--a fanatic, whose rants are more "entertainment" than news, although I think she certainly takes herself more seriously than Stern does.

Melon
Yea Stern is an entertainer his political views shouldn't be taken seriously.

Old 09-28-2003, 09:47 AM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
The illustration was done to distinguish "wackos" like Ann Coulter from "intelligent" liberal ranters like Michael Moore.
If you're implying that I think Moore is an "intelligent liberal ranter," you're mistaken.

Melon

Old 09-28-2003, 02:51 PM   #33
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
The illustration was done to distinguish "wackos" like Ann Coulter from "intelligent" liberal ranters like Michael Moore.
Exactly, lol.

I was quoting her conservative buddies, like George Will and others that think she's loco.

Nbc, I have many conservative friends and don't base much of anything on people's political view.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:50 AM   #34
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunbury

Yea Stern is an entertainer his political views shouldn't be taken seriously.

tell it to them... you can't make a blanket statement such as that. while i too agree that stern isn't exactly the first person i'd look to when it comes to politics, his being an entertainer has nothing to do with the validity of his political views.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:08 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I wanted Amazon's Super-Saver Shipping deal when I ordered the U2 2004 calendar, so after about an hour of surfing that site I decided to order the Al Franken book.

Actually, I should have ordered Molly Ivins' new book instead. I looked at it a bit at the library and it looked well worth reading.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:30 PM   #36
Blue Crack Distributor

although i think al franken is a boob, no one looked like more of a boob than rupert murdoch for suing over the use of the phrase "fair and balanced." they're both boobs... i can't take people like franken and moore who want to be taken serious when they're right, but hide behind "oh well i'm just a comedian/entertainer" when proven wrong/inaccurate or whatever. can't have it both ways.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:55 PM   #37
Blue Crack Distributor

Re: Re: Lies And The Lying Liars Who Tell Them

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy

I'd like to see that, too. Maybe Bill can use some of that gritty, working-class gumption he got from growing up poor in Leavittown.
that would be levittown, the first "true" suburb... and working-class blue color is one thing... poor is another. levittown certainly is a working-class community, but i wouldn't exactly call it poor. and that's pretty much what bill always says... that he came from a working class family, which is probably true. he also went to chaminade high school, a private all boys school in mineola, long island. not the kind of place you find too many "poor" people, unless they're amazing athletes on scholarship... so working class? yeah... poor? not likely.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:37 PM   #38
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

tell it to them... you can't make a blanket statement such as that. while i too agree that stern isn't exactly the first person i'd look to when it comes to politics, his being an entertainer has nothing to do with the validity of his political views.
Sean Penn is a great actor but I could care about his political views
Old 09-29-2003, 04:21 PM   #39
Blue Crack Distributor

i could care less about sean penn's political views as well... but not because he's an actor, but because i disagree with them. but you're missing the point of my reply there
Old 09-29-2003, 04:23 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
i can't take people like franken and moore who want to be taken serious when they're right, but hide behind "oh well i'm just a comedian/entertainer" when proven wrong/inaccurate or whatever. can't have it both ways.
Well, then you'd better throw in people like Rush Limbaugh and much of conservative talk radio (and their televised outgrowth with FOX News), because that's the excuse they use--"entertainment."

Melon
Old 09-29-2003, 04:50 PM   #41
Refugee

Quote:
i could care less about sean penn's political views as well... but not because he's an actor, but because i disagree with them. but you're missing the point of my reply there
What's your point?
Old 09-29-2003, 06:23 PM   #42
Refugee

Local Time: 11:29 AM
I;d think his point is that not all entertainers should be politcally thrown away just because they are entertainers. Ie. Bono
Old 09-30-2003, 09:36 AM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor

yes that was the point... what you do for a living has nothing to do with your political ideas taken seriously or not... it's what you know. plenty of actors, athletes, musicians, etc. know quite a bit about politics (and some think they do just because they play the president on tv).

and i most certainly would include rush limbaugh in that category... he does use the same excuse of "entertainment." so does imus... "mr. imus uses characters," as pig vommit from Private Parts would say... (funny... i don't find stern funny at all, but i found his movie to be hilarious go figure). and on a side note for rush... who's bright idea was it to let him be a football analyst for ESPN?
Old 09-30-2003, 10:41 AM   #44
Refugee

Local Time: 11:29 AM
Yeah no doubt and they had some stupid thing where he was alowed to interupted if he hit some button. It had to be the dumbest segment. The man knows nothing about football and he just argues with everyone about nothing!
Old 09-30-2003, 12:02 PM   #45
Blue Crack Distributor

i quite enjoy watching hard core conservative rush banter with coke head michael irvin