Lieberman - WTF? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2006, 01:24 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:40 PM
I already miss Cynthia McKinney.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

With due respect, I'm not.

Lamont garnered 33.465871438% of the votes of the CT democratic delegates. That's a better statistic than any anecdotes. So considering that 2/3 of the delegates still initially supported Lieberman, how can you argue that he was pushed out by them? Sorry, the math doesn't add up.
Hey you are right...What do I know....I just report what my relatives tell me who live in the state.

Clearly...The party supported Lieberman.

You are right...if Lieberman had 2/3rds of the vote he would be the nominee.

With all due respect....

[Q]By the time the returns were in Tuesday night, showing Senator Lieberman losing to antiwar businessman Ned Lamont 52 percent to 48 percent, the sight of the 2000 vice presidential candidate losing his party's nomination for a fourth Senate term did not come as a surprise.[/Q]

I guess Lieberman did not have 2/3rds of the votes.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:40 PM
Quote:
Lieberman: It would be 'irresponsible' not to continue campaign
Associated Press

August 9, 2006

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Down but not out, Sen. Joe Lieberman filed to run for re-election in November as an independent, saying Wednesday it would be "irresponsible and inconsistent with my principles if I were to just walk off the field."

This guy is just a worthless, arrogant piece of crap!
Old 08-09-2006, 03:49 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

I guess Lieberman did not have 2/3rds of the votes.
Good grief.

I was talking about the CT democratic delegates, clearly stated in my post, and they had a vote several months ago to determine whether or not Lamont could even run in the primary. He had to get a certain percentage of votes to qualify. He got 1/3 of the votes in that instance.

The primary is not a matter for delegates voting but all who are registered with the Democratic party, no?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:43 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Good grief.

I was talking about the CT democratic delegates, clearly stated in my post, and they had a vote several months ago to determine whether or not Lamont could even run in the primary. He had to get a certain percentage of votes to qualify. He got 1/3 of the votes in that instance.

The primary is not a matter for delegates voting but all who are registered with the Democratic party, no?
I guess it was not all that clear.

You are referring to the caucusses (SPELLING), a system which is designed to keep control over the party. The caucus delagated from from the towns throughout Connecticut. The delagates are chosen at the town level and sent to the convention. Usually the town committees are pretty much in tow and sinker with the party leadership.

You are reading WAAAYYYY too much into the caucus. The leadership could have kept him off the ballot period. Delagates cut deals at the convention. As a former member of the Town Republican Party, and delegate to the convention that nominated Romney, when it was clear candidates that we supported had the votes, deals were made to take votes to get other candidates onto the ballot.

If the party leadership supported Leiberman 100% on the state level, this guy would not have got his name on the ballot.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

You are correct. Although in some states, like MA independants can declare republican or democrat to vote in a primary. It skews the results. The assumption is that the voter in a primary is 100% a member of the party. In MA, many independants registered republican to vote for McCain. In CT, many democrats switched parties in the primary to vote for McCain.

My relatives have been bombarded with telephone calls from National figures to help Lieberman. My relatives also feel that up to the election the pressure has come from the National leadership and not the state leadership.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:48 PM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

This guy is just a worthless, arrogant piece of crap!
I just watched him on CNN. My relatives from CT happened to be here today picking up my kids for a vacation. They are so pissed because they feel it assures a Republican candidate will win.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:40 PM
I hope he will eventually be talked out of it. Without the support of the party and other major players he won't get the money he needs to maintain his candidacy.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:05 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:40 PM
Quote:

I just watched him on CNN. My relatives from CT happened to be here today picking up my kids for a vacation. They are so pissed because they feel it assures a Republican candidate will win.
That's what the pundits are saying, they're saying it's going to hurt the Democrats.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:12 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:40 PM
Quote:

I don't know if it assures GOP victory or not.

But why have primaries if the loser just goes independent?

Every sore loser with a following could take this attitude.

What would have happened in 2000

if GOP McCain went Independent in 2000 Pres election and then said he wanted the option to caucus with the GOP in the Senate.

Most if not all of Lieberman's support and sympathy is coming from GOPers and Fox news, and the like.

Joe should take the high road.

What if this LaMont guy got only 49 % to 51% for Lieberman.

Would he have said 49% against an incumbent is a mandate, I'm going independent so the people have a choice, pro Iraq or con Iraq war?
Old 08-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

If by that they mean Lieberman himself, sure.

The Republican Schlessinger is a total non-entity and has no chance of winning at all, even if Lieberman and Lamont split the vote. He's not in the game.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:57 PM   #72
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Joe should take the high road.
Why quit if you have a great chance to win in the general election? Why is that the low road?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:10 PM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White

Why quit if you have a great chance to win in the general election? Why is that the low road?

he's putting himself before the good of the party, and, some might argue, the State of Connecticut.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:13 PM   #74
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
he's putting himself before the good of the party, and, some might argue, the State of Connecticut.
Doesn't a senator represent many more citizens than simply half the vote of his own party?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:21 PM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White

Doesn't a senator represent many more citizens than simply half the vote of his own party?

the question has already been posed: why have a primary if the loser just renounces his party and goes Independent if he loses?

or are you suggesting that incumbants be given special treatment because they have won elections in the past?