Lieberman - WTF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:
There is just as much "my way or the highway" from the left as there is the right. Finger pointing on this issue is no better than the grade school playground argument.

Yes, with the glaring exception that the right controls the White House, the Congress, the Senate and essentially the judiciary.

And they've dune a heckuva job!

anitram said:
Lieberman isn't entitled to his seat. If his constituents want somebody who, oh I dunno, agrees with them (!), then so be it.

A novel concept for American democracy.

Melon

It's now down to an 8% lead. (as of 9:14

Even though there are a LOT of precincts yet to report, I find it hard to believe that the rest will go for Lieberman to give him a victory.

deep said:
this hacking is a ploy

there is no reason that lamont's people would do this

there is no gain in it for them

it gives Lieberman
some cover

when he loses and goes independent
Joe Lieberman Website May Not Have Been Hacked - Report

By Jim Brogan
Aug 8, 2006

Joe Lieberman campaign manager Sean Smith, in an MSNBC interview with Chris Matthews today, told Matthews that the Joe Lieberman website has been hacked by operatives for the Ned Lamont campaign.

Ned Lamont's camp, naturally, soundly denied any involvement. A spokesperson reportedly issued this statement: "We strongly condemn whoever is doing this and urge them to stop."

However, the Joe Lieberman web site may not have been hacked after all. While researching this story we received this email:

"1. Unless and until Lieberman's hosting provider releases his logfiles (gateway router, www server, mail server, DNS server) for forensic review, all of this is speculation.

2. Using the following information:
a. the site has been down for 18 hours
b. email to (and from?) Joe2006.com addresses has been affected
c. Joe2006.com and mail.joe2006.com resolve to IP 69.56.129.130
d. the reverse lookup on that IP is 82.81.3845.static.theplanet.com
e. joe2006.com now forwards to http://server1.myhostcamp.com/
suspended.page/

3. It's highly unlikely this is a true DoS of DDoS attack. This is because we can ping all the IPs noted above and we can see the page at http://server1.myhostcamp.com/suspended. page. If this was a real DoS or DDoS attack, we'd not be able to see any of this and their servers would not be answering their ping at an average of 50ms (millisecond) per packet. True attacks bring down servers, routers and networks. From all available outside evidence this does not appear to be the case.

U.S. Senate - - Dem Primary
376 of 748 Precincts Reporting - 50.27%
Name Party Votes Pct
Lamont, Ned Dem 70,444 52.13
Lieberman, Joe (i) Dem 64,700 47.87

ntalwar said:
Lieberman concedes :applaud:.
Wonder how he'll do as an independent.

Were Republicans and Independents allowed to vote in the Democratic primary? If they were not, then this Billionaire dude will probably be toast in a few weeks.

GOP to encourage CT Republicans to support Lieberman if he runs as an independent

By Liz Mair, Section News
Posted on Tue Aug 08, 2006 at 06:33:36 PM EST

According to Marc Ambinder over at Hotline, a senior Republican official has confirmed that the party might encourage Republicans to support Sen. Lieberman if he runs as an independent. The official is reported to have said: "I just think there will be folks who want to support - regardless of what we think. And, we don't think that's a bad thing."

Marc adds that Kevin F. Rennie reports that some Connecticut Republicans are thinking about financially supporting Lieberman's independent bid.

we should just get rid of political parties and let everyone run on their own merit...

lieberman, who just 6 years ago was tabbed as the Dem's VP nominee, took a stand that is unpopular with the democratic hieryarchy, and got screwed for doing so.

wether you agree with the stance he took or not, it's still kinda sad.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
lieberman, who just 6 years ago was tabbed as the Dem's VP nominee, took a stand that is unpopular with the democratic hierarchy, and got screwed for doing so.

whether you agree with the stance he took or not, it's still kinda sad.

Again, political office is not an entitlement for incumbent politicians. Considering the mess our Congress has been for years, perhaps more people should have the courage to unseat their incumbents if they disagree with them. I'm tired of people voting on fear.

we should just get rid of political parties and let everyone run on their own merit...

This is why I have advocated replacing primaries with runoff elections. Just as all of America votes on one day in November, we should all vote on one day earlier in the year. My main beef with primaries is that they do little but to maintain the power of the two party system, and in the case of presidential primaries, we essentially have only two or three states who decide on the candidate, while the rest just vote like sheep. I would strongly support a move to completely abolish primaries and setup a runoff election like how Louisiana currently does, where if no one candidate gets 50% of the vote, another final election will take place amongst the top two candidates. That way, no matter how many Republicans, Democrats, or third-party candidates there are, they are all on equal footing and everyone's vote will truly count. I don't give a flying fuck about Iowa or New Hampshire, and they certainly don't give one about me.

Melon

Aren't primaries ingrained in the party structure? Forgive my ignorance on American electoral law but are there actual restrictions that would prevent say a fascist party just appointing candidates to contest at the election?

A_Wanderer said:
Aren't primaries ingrained in the party structure? Forgive my ignorance on American electoral law but are there actual restrictions that would prevent say a fascist party just appointing candidates to contest at the election?

No. Anyone, assuming that they follow appropriate residency and citizenship laws, can run for any office. It is not illegal to hold fascist ideas, and, as such, there would be no restrictions on their candidacy. David Duke, the infamous white nationalist, took a serious run for the GOP presidential nomination in 1992...by lying through his teeth that he had reformed. He also had a couple U.S. Senate runs after that, where it was more than obvious that he was still as much of an extremist as ever.

Of course, all of this is predicated on the idea that Americans would not choose an extremist candidate, and that was the case with David Duke too. He lost resoundingly in every election.

Melon

Last edited:
lieberman, who just 6 years ago was tabbed as the Dem's VP nominee, took a stand that is unpopular with the democratic hieryarchy, and got screwed for doing so.

wether you agree with the stance he took or not, it's still kinda sad.

i don't think this has anything to do with the Democratic heirarchy -- hawkish Democrats, like HRC, who is certainly at the very top of the Democratic food chain, are going to win in a landslide in November. Lieberman is a special case; he is to the right of many Republicans on the war, he has not criticized the conduct of the war as opposed to a good part of even the Republican Party, such has the mismanagement of the war been. he's to the right of pundits like Wiliam F. Buckley and Bill Kirstol. his position on Iraq is as far out of the mainstream, and as divorced from reality, as the administration itself.

I think you're totally wrong here.

The democratic "hierarchy" are people who would love to maintain the status quo because that's what they've done for years now. It's much more problematic for this "hierarchy" to have to deal with the fact that the people are ready to toss out their incumbents if they don't like them.

anitram said:

I think you're totally wrong here.

The democratic "hierarchy" are people who would love to maintain the status quo because that's what they've done for years now. It's much more problematic for this "hierarchy" to have to deal with the fact that the people are ready to toss out their incumbents if they don't like them.

The Democratic Party in Connecticut, which has the power in the state of CT, is not supporting Leiberman.

The incumbent in this case, is being pushed out by the party heirarchy.

They are supporting Lamont now because he won the primary. Before that, they were openly split, with Chris Dodd campaigning for Lieberman as recently as yesterday. So no, I disagree he's being pushed out by the hierarchy at all.

Nevermind the DC crowd who either all openly endorsed Lieberman before the result or stayed mum.

anitram said:
They are supporting Lamont now because he won the primary. Before that, they were openly split, with Chris Dodd campaigning for Lieberman as recently as yesterday. So no, I disagree he's being pushed out by the hierarchy at all.

Nevermind the DC crowd who either all openly endorsed Lieberman before the result or stayed mum.

and Bill Clinton showed up in CT to stump for Leiberman, someone who trumps all other Dems in the state.

anitram said:

I will agree the national leadership supported Lieberman.

I disagree that the state leadership did based on the fact that my family members are actively involved in CT politics as delegates to the CT state convention.

I think you are missing the fact that there is a can be a BIG difference between national party politics and state politics.

Mich. - U.S. Rep. John J. "Joe" Schwarz has been a sailor (U.S. Navy Vietnam veteran) a state senator, and a spy. He is also a physician, a strong supporter of the war in Iraq, and has been heartily endorsed for re-election by President George W. Bush.

So why does he have a strong challenge from the right in the Aug. 8 Republican primary? And how can his opponent say that he is "just too liberal" to represent his district in Congress?

"Well, I think they are delusional," Mr. Schwarz, at 68 the nation's oldest freshman congressman, says with a hearty laugh.

His opponent, Tim Walberg, 55, a former state representative and fundamentalist preacher, isn't laughing.

So who won this race last night.

The Incumbent Republican Congressman , that George Bush and John McCain came in and stumped for?

or the fundamentalist Preacher, anti-gay, anti-stem cell, anti-choice?

Remember the GOP establishment lined up behind Rep. Schwartz.

I currently believe weare going to see a shift fropm incumbents this election season.

Oh Ross Perot where are you now!!!:wink:

Dreadsox said:

I think you are missing the fact that there is a can be a BIG difference between national party politics and state politics.

With due respect, I'm not.

Lamont garnered 33.465871438% of the votes of the CT democratic delegates. That's a better statistic than any anecdotes. So considering that 2/3 of the delegates still initially supported Lieberman, how can you argue that he was pushed out by them? Sorry, the math doesn't add up.

Back
Top Bottom