Libya agrees to end WMD weapons programs - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2003, 09:31 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Libya agrees to end WMD weapons programs

In another huge win for the Bush administration, Libya has agreed to open its doors to international weapons inspectors in an effort to end its weapons programs and re-establish diplomatic ties with the rest of the world.

A question-Would this have happened if Dean were in office?

An answer-Hell no!

Old 12-22-2003, 07:53 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:50 PM
it's amazing that whenever the bush administration does something questionable it is immediately posted and gets many responses, no matter how silly or insignificant it is (turkeygate anybody?), yet a truly great achievement like this, which will only help make the world a safer place, goes largely ignored.

Old 12-22-2003, 08:46 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:50 PM
Take a look at the political compass for some perspective....
Old 12-22-2003, 09:16 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:50 PM

Some interesting opinions from an article in theGuardian about the claim that this is brought to you by the Bush administration.

Quote:
The former defence minister, Peter Kilfoyle, told the BBC: "We were told we had to go to war because of WMD [weapons of mass destruction] and there were none.

"It seems a very odd situation that one country with WMD can be negotiated with but with another country which doesn't appear to have them it was necessary to go to war. It just doesn't ring true to me."
Quote:
...But Joseph Cirincione, the director of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace's nonproliferation project, said: "The president is trying hard to portray this as a victory for his strategy. But when you look at this, it's almost the opposite of the Bush doctrine."
In any case, it was Gadaffi himself who initiated the talks with Blair over nine months ago.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:23 AM   #5
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Take a look at the political compass for some perspective....
I am in the centre of the centre
and I agree with the TeethDoctor that I don't really see how this is a victory for Bush
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-22-2003, 09:38 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

DrTeeth,

"In any case, it was Gadaffi himself who initiated the talks with Blair over nine months ago."

hmmm....... and look what was happening 9 months ago!

Salome,

"I am in the centre of the centre
and I agree with the TeethDoctor that I don't really see how this is a victory for Bush"

Have you ever seen anything as a Bush Victory?
Old 12-22-2003, 09:56 AM   #7
you are what you is

I supported the war on Iraq
I posted back then that I was very disappointed in the way Europe handled that one
and I supported Bush in his decision to go ahead anyway

I don't think that Bush has really done all that much to help the US economy, because - like I posted - I don't think politics have the kind of influence over the economy they like to think they have
come to think of it, the best thing politicians can do to help the economy IMO is to make ensure stability in the society
and I don't really think he managed to do that

so maybe I did think he's had a few victories
and maybe I think that some of the stuff he has been given credit for on this forum is nonsense

but anyways
even if I was an angry Bush hater
that still doesn't mean that me not seeing this as a victory for him in some way does make it a victory for Bush

so I just wasted a whole lot of time on something that doesn't help the discussion in this thread one bit
damn
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-22-2003, 10:48 AM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
it's amazing that whenever the bush administration does something questionable it is immediately posted and gets many responses, no matter how silly or insignificant it is (turkeygate anybody?), yet a truly great achievement like this, which will only help make the world a safer place, goes largely ignored.
You're right, but it goes both ways in here. You post a thread like turkeygate and it turns into a ten plus page thread, people ragging on him and people jumping to his defense. But then a thread gets posted on how Bush isn't granting fair compensation for former POWs and no one even posts, or you post something about his environmental travesties and no one even posts.

We're all guilty of ignoring the threads that don't go along with our leanings.

The reason I ignored this thread was not the subject matter, but the arrogance in which it was posted. Dean or any other canidate has nothing to do with this thread and for some reason it's brought in to point out that "my party's better than yours". It just gets old.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:03 AM   #9
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Dean or any other canidate has nothing to do with this thread and for some reason it's brought in to point out that "my party's better than yours". It just gets old.

I don't see this as a "Bush victory" If anything, it should be looked at as a victory for the entire planet, because there will be one less country with WMD's in its possession.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:26 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

I don't see this as a "Bush victory" If anything, it should be looked at as a victory for the entire planet, because there will be one less country with WMD's in its possession.
I agree. This is good for the U.S, good for Libya, good for everyone. Libya said it did this because they are trying to improve economic conditions for their citizens, certainly a wise decision on the part of their leadership. So, I think the biggest victory is for the Libyan people, and I'm really pleased for them.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:16 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

What is your definition of a "Bush Victory"?
Old 12-22-2003, 11:41 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Hm.........a Bush victory would be something that helped specifically at the polling booth. This certainly does not hurt him, but I feel like I, a liberal, am benefitting from this as well. I don't have to deal with the issue of a strike on Libya. No stress, no worries, just relief for myself, my country, and the people of Libya as well. If you would like to think of this as a victory for Bush, so be it. I don't care. I'm just happy for the Libyan and the American people. This is good for us all.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:42 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

This is good for everyone. GWB was behind the good. God bless us everyone.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:23 PM   #14
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Hm.........a Bush victory would be something that helped specifically at the polling booth. This certainly does not hurt him, but I feel like I, a liberal, am benefitting from this as well. I don't have to deal with the issue of a strike on Libya. No stress, no worries, just relief for myself, my country, and the people of Libya as well. If you would like to think of this as a victory for Bush, so be it. I don't care. I'm just happy for the Libyan and the American people. This is good for us all.
Well said.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:10 AM   #15
Refugee

I was never really in favor of invading Iraq at that time I thought we should have waited longer. Also I always thought invasion was inevitable regardless of who was President.
I think the Lybian surrender (in a way Lybia just gave up defying the world community) was a combination of things Khadafi has become less radical throughout the years and actually wants to help, also realized that the U.S. would lift the embargo against them. Also the invasion of Iraq scared the crap out of Lybia maybe believing they were next on the list.
So bottom line play ball and we won't bug you, instead we will help you.