Liberia - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2003, 09:19 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:17 PM
Liberia

[Q]A man walks through a pile of civilians killed by rocket attacks, which were laid outside the U.S. embassy in the Liberian capital Monrovia on Monday, July 21, 2003, in protest at the lack of U.S. intervention in the war-torn West-African nation. (AP Photo/Ben Curtis) [/Q]

What in the world should be done here?

Old 07-21-2003, 09:28 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

dread, I have been asking myself the same question for the past few weeks. I don't know. There are reasons to get involved and reasons not to get involved. But it seems to me that at the very least, if we are to be taken seriously that our intentions in the world are humanitarian, we ought to help in some way. The US created Liberia as a colony for returned slaves after the Civil War. So we do have a history there. Still, it's a complex situation.

Old 07-21-2003, 09:47 PM   #3
New Yorker

OMG. What a scene.

I can't think of a correct way to act. I feel ashamed that I don't know enough about the objectives of the rebels or the crimes or lack of the gov't to know what side we should be on.

To me it is like El Salvador, I only know what I hear on the media, even the foreign media have not laid out the issues between sides.
But obviously we should react to the human rights crisis NOW.

*sarcastic* Oh gosh I forgot we pulled out of the International War Crimes Tribunal.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:37 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Oh, my gosh.

That's so awful...god, that picture... ...

My heart goes out to the families and friends of those who were killed.

As for what we should do...I also am not sure. I do agree that we should take some humanitarian action.

I just don't know if we should get involved in another war.

Angela
Old 07-22-2003, 01:03 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
that picture really says a lot.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:53 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:17 PM
Re: Liberia

We could stop buying tropical wood from countries like Libiria. All that money goes to weapons,...

In Liberia it is wood, in Congo it is Diamonds,....

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=16437

Note,...change the word U.S into western world.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:39 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

The U.S. *should* have stepped in when *asked* by Liberia. It isn't often that a nation marred in civil war will actually have both the existing government and the warring factions asking for the U.S. to intervene as a *peacekeeping* force. No, instead, Dubya sits there waffling, probably trying to figure out how this little venture will make business sense, rather than as a humanitarian effort. It's sickening, because we have a situation that is an even *worse* human rights situation than Iraq...but then, Liberia also isn't sitting on billions of dollars worth of oil wells either.

Bush is a total failure, both domestically and in foreign policy. I am absolutely *sickened* by his current set of priorities.

Melon
Old 07-22-2003, 06:45 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

In case you want to read this sign and can't, it says, "Today G Bush kill the Liberian people," a testament to the anger with his inaction over the peacekeeping force.

Melon
Old 07-22-2003, 11:02 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

For anyone who is unfamiliar with the background of this conflict, it might be helpful to go to this coverage at Yahoo. There are links to stories, editorials, and history of what has brought the situation to where it is. You might also check out this short Q&A on the topic

Old 07-22-2003, 11:04 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:17 PM
thanks sula!

kobeeducation
Old 07-22-2003, 11:07 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:17 PM
I honestly have no idea what should be done about this. It's horrible. I hate it that this is happening.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:33 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
The U.S. *should* have stepped in when *asked* by Liberia. It isn't often that a nation marred in civil war will actually have both the existing government and the warring factions asking for the U.S. to intervene as a *peacekeeping* force. No, instead, Dubya sits there waffling, probably trying to figure out how this little venture will make business sense, rather than as a humanitarian effort. It's sickening, because we have a situation that is an even *worse* human rights situation than Iraq...but then, Liberia also isn't sitting on billions of dollars worth of oil wells either.

Bush is a total failure, both domestically and in foreign policy. I am absolutely *sickened* by his current set of priorities.

Melon
Yep, that's good ol' Bush for ya. .

Angela
Old 07-22-2003, 11:47 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Yep, that's good ol' Bush for ya. .

Angela
I will agree, this doesn't exactly make Bush look good. This is no time for the President of the United States to be tentative or indecisive, but this is exactly what he's doing.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:00 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
For anyone who is unfamiliar with the background of this conflict, it might be helpful to go to this coverage at Yahoo. There are links to stories, editorials, and history of what has brought the situation to where it is. You might also check out this short Q&A on the topic

Thanks Sula.

So, Taylor is willing to resign (why?) so long as peacekeepers are sent in. But if they are sent in, rebels are afraid Taylor won't leave (why, b/c he thinks they are protecting him?). Why is Nigeria offering him safe exile?

thx to anyone who can/takes time to explain..

From what I've read, I agree with Melon. It's sickening in this day & age to allow this to continue. Our president is so selfish.

Side thought- this is just another way the poverty in Africa allows a man like Taylor to stay in power. The poverty keeps the people down and disabled from taking serious actions. It reminds me of Bono saying how there are more Afghanastans out there...
Old 07-22-2003, 12:05 PM   #15
New Yorker

Thanks Sula for the link.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Jul21.html

"Put on the spot on the eve of his tour of Africa, President Bush promised that the United States would help but didn't offer specifics; instead, he dispatched a team to study the situation. His pledge, which was greeted with joy and hope in Liberia, now looks empty. "

"Yesterday shells fell on the U.S. Embassy compound and scores of innocent civilians were killed and wounded in fighting around the city. It was carnage that might have been prevented had President Bush responded to the international appeals with real leadership instead of dilatory rhetoric."

I swear that man is incapable of doing the right thing. Basically he is proping up Taylor through his inaction, much like Reagan responded in South America. He makes me sick.