Liberals vow to pass same-sex bill - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 06-21-2005, 06:46 PM   #1
Local Time: 07:56 AM
Liberals vow to pass same-sex bill

Its about time!!!

Take notice Melon and Irvine, our govt has seen the light!

Liberals vow to pass same-sex bill News Staff

The Liberals are vowing to extend the spring session of Parliament in order to pass the same-sex marriage and budget legislations.

And if they have to, they say they'll ask the House Speaker to wake Parliament from its scheduled summer slumber in order get it done.

After weeks of appearing non-committal on Bill C-38, which would change the legal definition of marriage in Canada, Liberal House Leader Tony Valeri on Tuesday said the government is now declaring it a matter of national interest.

Valeri said the government will use every procedural move they can muster to pass Bill C-38 before the House rises for the summer.

"My commitment is to deal with 38 at all stages and vote," says Valeri.

A motion he put forth earlier this week to extend Parliament's sitting will come to a vote on Wednesday.

"If we don't extend the House, we're not going to get any of these bills finished," Liberal MP Derek Lee said Tuesday night on CTV Newsnet's Countdown.

Valeri acknowledged Tuesday that his motion to extend the Parliament's session would be tight without the Bloc's support.

But in a rare move, he said the Liberals are prepared to go to House Speaker Peter Milliken and ask him to recall the House should the motion fail to pass. A Speaker hasn't recalled the House of Commons since 1991.

The Liberals' determination seems to have angered the Conservatives.

Conservative House Leader Jay Hill calls the Liberals' move "an abuse of power."

Conservative MP Diane Ablonczy added that the Liberal government could have moved to end debate and put the bills to a vote well before the summer break.

"We're not prepared to make accommodations because they didn't plan properly. I think that we're not going to be supporting that kind of extension," she said on Countdown.

The NDP, meanwhile, has promised to support sittings into the summer in order to get both bills passed.

"I think we're here for another couple of weeks until C-48 and C-38 are passed," said Judy Wasylycia-Leis, the NDP finance critic, on Countdown: With Mike Duffy. "It's unfortunate that we're into the middle of summer, but that's going to be the case."

Old 06-21-2005, 06:55 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 10:56 AM
Im so sick of people being at war about this I hope they pass the bill soon

Old 06-21-2005, 06:57 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 09:56 AM
Old 06-21-2005, 06:58 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ah, our friendly neighbors to the north.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:00 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
Old 06-21-2005, 07:16 PM   #6
love, blood, life
It's great that Paul Martin has stuck up for it. I know that he was a bit cowardly, in regards to gay marriage, at first, but I have to give him credit for sticking to it after he summoned up some courage. I wish the Democrats would follow their example.

Anyway, here's some news on the American front, which would go a long way in making me happier:

Bipartisan Bill Would Ensure Gay Bi-National Couples Equal Treatment
by Newscenter Staff

Posted: June 21, 2005 2:00 pm ET

(Washington) Legislation was introduced in Congress Tuesday that would treat same-sex couples the same as opposite sex-couples for the purposes of immigration.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) in the House and Sen. Pat Leahy (D-Vt) in the Senate, has a large number of bipartisan cosponsors in both chambers.

The Uniting American Families Act was previously named the Permanent Partners Immigration Act which died when the last session of Congress ended.

Nadler said he expected the new measure to fare better because it has broader support.

The move was hailed by LGBT civil rights groups.

"Our nation should bring families together, not tear them apart," said Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese.

"Same-sex bi-national couples are often forced to separate because the government views them as strangers under the law."

Adam Francoeur, Program Coordinator of Immigration Equality said that the 2000 Census reports nearly 36,000 couples living in same-sex bi-national relationships in the U.S.

"The Uniting American Families Act upholds the stated principle within U.S. immigration policy to promote family unification," said Francoeur.

At least 16 countries recognize same-sex couples for the purposes of immigration including Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Israel, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, South Africa, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
Be aware that this bill has been brought up every year since 2001, and every year, our GOP-led Congress has derailed the bill.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:06 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight de doo doo, do de doo doo...
It really does amaze me that we still have to have any debate over this. to Canada, and that is some good news regarding our country, too, melon...hopefully that'll actually go through this time.

Old 06-22-2005, 02:00 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 04:56 PM

I was shocked to read this until I found out they were talking about Canada. Still excellent news!!

Welcome to the 21st century Canada
Old 06-22-2005, 02:01 AM   #9
love, blood, life
Local Time: 12:56 AM
Yes fine; and they should also allow gay adoption and lesbian IVF.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:15 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 11:56 AM
let's hope this passes.

Old 06-22-2005, 04:52 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 02:56 PM
I hope this passes.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:05 AM   #12
love, blood, life
My fingers are crossed for Canadian gay couples and their friends and families.
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:31 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
go, Canada, go!

as in so many other areas, a bloated and complacant and increasingly arrogant USA is being left in the dust by other countries.

i wish many Americans would wake up and erase their world-is-flat mentalities and join the 21st century.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:39 AM   #14
love, blood, life
Related news, I guess...marry a Canadian!
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:04 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 11:26 AM
Ok chill out everyone. This is still a long way from being passed. Our parliament is facing non-confidence motions almost daily and the fate of the bill is not guaranteed. Our parliament has been static for months now but I hope they finally enact this bill.