Liberal Land Grab - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 06-26-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
War Child
Local Time: 07:03 PM
Liberal Land Grab

No one is safe apparently

Old 06-26-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Local Time: 03:03 PM
This is wrong.

Old 06-26-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
love, blood, life
Local Time: 08:03 PM
The onward march of state power. Which is not a 'liberal' policy incidentally, far from it.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:01 PM   #4
love, blood, life
Funny. Eminent domain was typically used by conservatives to snatch property at bargain basement prices. "Market value" is typically an Orwellian joke, since few people actually sell a house at "market price."

But maybe now that eminent domain has become "liberal," our overwhelmingly Republican government will do something about it. Yeah, right. They'll do something about it, just like they've done something about illegal immigration. That is, they'll do nothing but piss and moan about "liberals," while secretly letting businesses profit.

Old 06-26-2005, 04:46 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
how on earth is this liberal?
Old 06-26-2005, 05:24 PM   #6
love, blood, life

Having grown up outside of New London....

I can tell you that it is NOT a republican area....

I think it is a SHITE article. Government is is elected by the people, Republicans Dems...whatever....
Old 06-27-2005, 04:27 AM   #7
New Yorker
Well, this spin is the NY Post for you. LOL. To them, the story is "those damn liberals", when what they should be reporting on is the HUGH increase in state power that just took place, hardly a progressive principle.

However, facts are facts, as they say, and the conservatives who dissented from this potentially disasterous ruling should be proud. From a conservative view, I guess this falls under you protect priviate property rights. Here here!

I can't imagine what the "liberal" judges were thinking. I suppose they could be bought and paid for, but it's doubtful that that's true of them and not the Thomases and Scalias. Perhaps they really think this will be good for development? If so, they need to study the reality of gentrification at the local level.

Bottom line, liberal economic policy should always be about PEOPLE before PROFITS. And they failed to uphold that principle. I'm so used to writing letters, but these guys aren't elected. What do you all think--will that have any effect?

It's not a total disaster though. Apparently this can still be fought out at the state and local level (so heads UP all!). All politics is local, as they say.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:34 AM   #8
love, blood, life
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
Apparently this can still be fought out at the state and local level (so heads UP all!). All politics is local, as they say.

Excellent Tip O'Neil quote!
Old 06-27-2005, 05:39 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 07:03 PM
This stinks. I got really pissed off at my city government when they invoked eminent domain for a private company, the Health Services Foundation when they wanted to grab some land for a clinic. They got it.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:46 AM   #10
love, blood, life
Local Time: 05:03 AM
Be it for a private company or a government clinic they should piss off and leave peoples property rights alone.