Letter To Bush From A Broken Hearted Mother - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2004, 06:38 AM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:17 PM
people who's sons and daughters have died have political beliefs also... there are plenty more parents of soldiers who have died who support bush with all their heart... it shouldn't be a competition. god bless all of them... and on this day of thanks we should be thankful for their sacrafice, because their sacrafice is for every american citizen.

Old 11-26-2004, 10:15 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:17 PM
Yes. Since the troops are the ones in harm's way, we should let them know that we appreciate their service, even if we don't care for what the government is doing. I still think we should have a little faith in our leaders, even if we don't agree with their policies.

Old 11-27-2004, 07:29 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 06:17 PM
Should I have faith in someone who's policies I disagree with and who I distrust, just because he's the president?
Old 11-28-2004, 06:55 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

I have faith that he is making decisions that he thinks to be the best for the country. I do not think he is the evil villan that he is portrayed in this forum.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:42 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
Should I have faith in someone who's policies I disagree with and who I distrust, just because he's the president?
I can easily understand that he's far from a perfect human being. There's things I don't agree with him on either, such as capital punishment and using God's name to justify the war. However, we should have faith in our leaders. The bipartisanship has to exist if we should remain a united country. One way we can compromise is to have faith in our leaders even if we don't always agree with them.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:37 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

If you don't mind a double post, you know who else said that we should have faith in our leaders? Michael Moore did.

Source: Entertainment Weekly
Old 11-29-2004, 09:54 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Who are you to judge if she's demeaning her son's sacrifice or not. One can argue that she's his mother and probably has a better insight to what his experience was than someone who's at it from a completely partisan manner. Unless you've talked to him and knew where he stood on this war I'd leave it up to those who knew him. So maybe if you opened you mind a little.
Who am I to judge? Maybe she(the mother) doesn't know jack shit about what her son felt about the war and about the things the U.S. is trying to accomplish in Iraq? No offense, but mothers aren't generally the best for "insight to what his experience was." Mothers, as I know from experience, judge from an emotional standpoint. I served in Iraq for a year(got back in June) and my mother really didn't know what I was doing there...she just knew she wanted me home and well.

"So maybe if you opened you mind a little"....well, maybe open your mind to the fact that maybe this mother is using her sons death in a way her son might not approve of. Like I said before: if she wasn't using conspiracy theories and partisan B.S. to try to make her point, I might take it a bit more seriously. Is there PROOF her son disapproved of the war and felt that if he died he would have died for nothing????
Old 11-29-2004, 10:06 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl

Who am I to judge? Maybe she(the mother) doesn't know jack shit about what her son felt about the war and about the things the U.S. is trying to accomplish in Iraq? No offense, but mothers aren't generally the best for "insight to what his experience was." Mothers, as I know from experience, judge from an emotional standpoint. I served in Iraq for a year(got back in June) and my mother really didn't know what I was doing there...she just knew she wanted me home and well.

"So maybe if you opened you mind a little"....well, maybe open your mind to the fact that maybe this mother is using her sons death in a way her son might not approve of. Like I said before: if she wasn't using conspiracy theories and partisan B.S. to try to make her point, I might take it a bit more seriously. Is there PROOF her son disapproved of the war and felt that if he died he would have died for nothing????
You have no idea what conversations went on between mother and son. Believe it on not there are soldiers fighting in Iraq who don't believe in this war. So it sounds like you're the emotional and partisan one. We know where you stand, but you don't know where the son stood, so until you know for sure don't speak or judge on his behalf because it's just sickening.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:49 PM   #24
New Yorker

Exactly
Old 11-30-2004, 05:27 PM   #25
War Child

I have faith that future generations will look back on this and wonder what the hell we thought we were doing.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:36 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Of course you have faith in something. I find it rather ironic that Michael Moore said something I actually agree with, and something that quite a few liberals don't.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:52 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:17 AM
I do not put blind faith in any power, there must always be scrutiny. I see Iraq moving towards elections, a honeypot for terrorism which is a mixed bag and gradually constructing (it would be wrong to say reconstructing because the infrastructure didn't exist in most of these places to begin with). I do not see the doom and gloom that was predicted before the war - most may disagree and that is fine, history will be the judge and we should all hope that Iraq becomes a stable and free democratic state.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:13 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

And I have a hope that it will all work out. I don't expect to see perfection, or everyone to be civilized, but I can hope that we can make peace in a country that was torn by division and a brutal regime.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:56 PM   #29
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
I feel sorry for her loss and am grateful of her sons sacrifice. But, this woman's a loony. This letter wasn't written immediately after his death, it was 7 months after so the woman had a long time to think about it. She throws out these conspiracy theories, which don't help her cause. I just want to know what her son really thought of the war...I mean, he signed up of his own free will and was possibly very proud that he might be doing something to be proud of. Talk about demeaning her sons sacrifice. She would find much more peace of mind if she opened her mind a bit to see the good that her son might have helped to accomplish in Iraq(Women's rights, free elections..ect).
Agreed.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:20 PM   #30
Refugee

I want to hear from someone who has had the terrible misfortune of having lost someone close and dear to them, like a son, speak in favour of this war.

Ant.

Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'