Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macfistowannabe

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Richard Gere on 9/11: "In a situation like this, of course you identify with everyone who's suffering. [But we must also think about] the terrorists who are creating such horrible future lives for themselves because of the negativity of this karma. It's all of our jobs too keep our minds as expansive as possible. If you can see [the terrorists] as a relative who's dangerously sick and we have to give them medicine, and the medicine is love and compassion. There's nothing better."

[Booing continues]

"That’s apparently unpopular right now, but that’s alright."

And why exactly do terrorists "deserve" love and compassion?

Thye don't deserve love and compassion.

I like how he forms his words to the point of saying 'it's our fault that terrorism exists' but he leaves that to others to conclude.

I'd like to see him give love and compassion to a terrorist. The terrorist's love in return would be death.

Sonoftelepunk said:

I like how he forms his words to the point of saying 'it's our fault that terrorism exists' but he leaves that to others to conclude.

Where does he say that???

IMO, he's only saying that, instead of aggression, love and compassion may solve the problem.

He's also not saying that terrorists "deserve" love and compassion. This is not about "deserving" or a simplistic good-guy bad-buy theory. It's a bit more complicated than that.

Besides that, Mr Gere's theories may be a bit naive. But then again, wouldn't the world be a better place if all of us were a little bit more naive....

I think Gere may be commenting on how terrorism comes to exist; I remember Willie Nelson saying something along the lines of "We have to find out what we're doing to people that makes them want to fly airliners into buildings full of people; and then when we find it out; we have to stop doing it to them, so maybe they'll stop flying airliners into our buildings." Not that Willie Nelson is an expert in world politics or anything; but I did think it was slightly refreshing; compared with all the "bomb them into the stone age" rhetoric that was going around.

I personally think better to fight terrorism by tacking its root causes.

I enjoy reading such extremist responses, because I can then understand the kind of extremism that Islamists level at us.

If we want to understand foreign extremism, we have to understand domestic extremism first.

Melon

I don't think terrorists deserve love and compassion. I do think that we need to create situations that improve quality of life for Middle Easterners and encourage a more positive attitude toward the West. Unfortunately, that's a hard thing to do when everything most of us know about the "other side" is filtered through the media, with varying degrees of government control and interests involved.

Overall, though, it's more than a little simplistic to say "make love, not war" and I think most people on this site who are against the war make much more intelligent arguments.

Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Luke 6:27
What are you suggesting, that we don't punish these Hitlers in sandscarfs? That we give them a better life at Gitmo than they had in the Middle East?

Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

Macfistowannabe said:
What are you suggesting, that we don't punish these Hitlers in sandscarfs? That we give them a better life at Gitmo than they had in the Middle East?

No one said anything about not bringing justice. Where would you get such an absurd idea?

Just tell me why that verse doesn't apply?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
No one said anything about not bringing justice. Where would you get such an absurd idea?
I wanted you to further explain your position. How are we supposed to serve justice to these throat-cutters in your view?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Just tell me why that verse doesn't apply?
I could just as easily suggest Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 and ask you the same question.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace."

God gave the Israelites the duty to protect their country throughout The Bible. We gave peace a chance with these Islamofascists, and as a result, they attacked our homeland and beheaded our citizens, all while mumbling rubbish to their "God." And that's just for starters. If we show them any more hospitality than we have already, we give every Muslim in the Middle East all the more reason to become throat-cutters in caves, and in turn we are carelessly compromising our security. I'm not suggesting Abu Ghraib-style prisons. I am suggesting severe punishments towards those who want to kill Americans in order to deter the spread of global terrorism. Hospitality only invites more of them into our backyard.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

Macfistowannabe said:
I wanted you to further explain your position. How are we supposed to serve justice to these throat-cutters in your view?

I could just as easily suggest Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 and ask you the same question.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace."

God gave the Israelites the duty to protect their country throughout The Bible. We gave peace a chance with these Islamofascists, and as a result, they attacked our homeland and beheaded our citizens, all while mumbling rubbish to their "God." And that's just for starters. If we show them any more hospitality than we have already, we give every Muslim in the Middle East all the more reason to become throat-cutters in caves, and in turn we are carelessly compromising our security. I'm not suggesting Abu Ghraib-style prisons. I am suggesting severe punishments towards those who want to kill Americans in order to deter the spread of global terrorism. Hospitality only invites more of them into our backyard.

Well you are confusing all the issues now. The original post said to offer love and compassion. It didn't say anything about criminals not deserving punishment. I'm not sure why you keep bringing this up. Then you start talking about hospitality, I don't know where that came from.

We gave peace a chance? That's funny. We may have not been literally fighting them, but by no means was it peace. Then you make the amazingly empathetic comment that "we give every Muslim in the Middle East all the more reason to become throat-cutters in caves".

So then I go back and ask you again, what do you think Christ meant by the passage I gave earlier?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
It didn't say anything about criminals not deserving punishment. I'm not sure why you keep bringing this up.
I bring it up because you haven't said your piece on how we should punish these savages. A popular answer among the left is seemingly to offer them theraaapy and friendship, which is why I started this thread. It would be a laughable conclusion if it wasn't so prevalent. I don't believe in that kind of garbage. I don't believe in rewarding criminals with top notch social services. I believe these psychos are better off living the rest of their lives in mysery. Should they attempt to escape, shoot them. I believe in a strict, silent environment where they are fed ONCE a day, NO TALKING, no TV, no video games, no nudie mags, you get the idea. So once again, I ask for your solution. You've said they should be punished. How?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
So then I go back and ask you again, what do you think Christ meant by the passage I gave earlier?
You can love your enemies by keeping them fed and sheltered enough for survival, but by no means do I find that passage as a call for ultra-tolerance for barbaric behavior, and authorities have the duty to protect innocent people by all means, even if you have to take a life of a throat-cutter in order to save a law-abiding citizen. Back to the passage, you can experiment with peace talks here and there, but if it isn't effective, if it isn't protecting innocent people, if it's just a waste of your time, you have no other alternative than to cut the crap. We shouldn't fall for the phony publicity stunts that Yassir Arafat specialized in, which led to him becoming the first terrorist formally invited into the White House. Arafat, that anti-semitist fool, didn't want peace. He wanted pieces. Pieces of flesh from dead Jews.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

Macfistowannabe said:
I bring it up because you haven't said your piece on how we should punish these savages. A popular answer among the left is seemingly to offer them theraaapy and friendship, which is why I started this thread. It would be a laughable conclusion if it wasn't so prevalent. I don't believe in that kind of garbage. I don't believe in rewarding criminals with top notch social services. I believe these psychos are better off living the rest of their lives in mysery. Should they attempt to escape, shoot them. I believe in a strict, silent environment where they are fed ONCE a day, NO TALKING, no TV, no video games, no nudie mags, you get the idea. So once again, I ask for your solution. You've said they should be punished. How?
Well as I've stated in many of threads before. You give them a fair trial, once they are found guilty you lock them up for life. I haven't heard of any videogames, nudie mags, or even TV at Gitmo so I'm not sure where you are getting this. Feeding once a day is bordering on torture, I would think as Americans a civilized society we are beyond torture...but I guess not.
Macfistowannabe said:

You can love your enemies by keeping them fed and sheltered enough for survival, but by no means do I find that passage as a call for ultra-tolerance for barbaric behavior, and authorities have the duty to protect innocent people by all means, even if you have to take a life of a throat-cutter in order to save a law-abiding citizen. Back to the passage, you can experiment with peace talks here and there, but if it isn't effective, if it isn't protecting innocent people, if it's just a waste of your time, you have no other alternative than to cut the crap.
:rolleyes: No one's calling for an ultra-tolerance for barbaric behavior!!! And that's not what Gere is calling for.

What he's calling for is a reaching out to people before they strap the bomb to themselves, reach out and show them we aren't the enemy. Quit ignoring them and treating them as the "every Muslim will turn into a terrorist" mentality. This mentality will keep terrorism alive.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:rolleyes: No one's calling for an ultra-tolerance for barbaric behavior!!! And that's not what Gere is calling for.

What he's calling for is a reaching out to people before they strap the bomb to themselves, reach out and show them we aren't the enemy. Quit ignoring them and treating them as the "every Muslim will turn into a terrorist" mentality. This mentality will keep terrorism alive.

He didn't say that we should reach out to Muslims before they are inducted into terrorism. He clearly states that we should give those that are terrorists "love and compassion".

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

Sonoftelepunk said:

He didn't say that we should reach out to Muslims before they are inducted into terrorism. He clearly states that we should give those that are terrorists "love and compassion".
Aren't there preachers and programs in prison to try and reform criminals?

I find it interesting that two of the more outspoken members of this board about "morals" and their biblical standings can't grasp this concept.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I find it interesting that two of the more outspoken members of this board about "morals" and their biblical standings can't grasp this concept.

Terrorists are almost all of the time past reform. But anyway, that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Oh, I grasp this concept just fine...better than you actually.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist broth

Sonoftelepunk said:

Oh, I grasp this concept just fine...better than you actually.

Is that right? You say:

Yet Jesus says something different...am I missing something?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist broth

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Is that right? You say:

Yet Jesus says something different...am I missing something?

Jesus, as accorded to in the Bible, said 'love thy enemies'. Love them in the sense of giving them basic human comforts when they're captured. That is the only way that Jesus' words can be interpreted in the world in which we live. Especially when regarding terrorism.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I haven't heard of any videogames, nudie mags, or even TV at Gitmo so I'm not sure where you are getting this. Feeding once a day is bordering on torture, I would think as Americans a civilized society we are beyond torture...but I guess not.
Civilized society? Is that why we elect freakshows like Barbara Boxer who claim that a baby isn't a baby until it's home from the hospital? Yeah, that's civilized. And Peter Singer, who believes that there is nothing wrong with killing handicapped children? Is that why we spend so much time ranting and raving about killing cockroaches and fish to avoid the topic of human suffering? Look at the dead animals thread for crying out loud. We have to constantly remind the hard left that human suffering is a greater priority to face than using dead animals for fuel and so forth. We have to remind these whack jobs that perversity is not diversity. Feeding once a day is giving them much more than their worth. What should we do with them, give them more handouts? Our homeland prisons are filled with TVs and we even had a thread about videogames in prison a while back. I don't agree with this concept at all. It's a waste to any taxpayer who's ever made an honest living. It's not our duty to entertain these fools, but to punish them accordingly to the crimes they've committed.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
What Gere is calling for is beyond insanity. He's basically saying that next time a flight attendant gets throat-cut, just put on "All You Need Is Love" and it will sustain our enemies. He's a red diapered, brainwashed moron suffering severely under the peacenik movement, and I'm glad he left the country. He didn't deserve to live in it in the first place.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
:What he's calling for is a reaching out to people before they strap the bomb to themselves, reach out and show them we aren't the enemy. Quit ignoring them and treating them as the "every Muslim will turn into a terrorist" mentality. This mentality will keep terrorism alive.
Yes, reach out to these people who have been raised from childhood to hate us, and were likely fresh out of schools that taught them how to become suicide bombers. I'm sorry to disagree with you, but they've been raised since day one to hate us with ignorance, and to believe that democracy is the purest form of evil. I don't believe that most Muslims are terrorists, but more should speak out against the atrocities that these extremists are committing on a global level. Convince me that Islam is a religion of peace, and not a religion of pieces. Show me a positive message for mankind out of the Koran. Give me the proper context for controversial passages in weighty detail. I'd like to believe there are good people in all religions, but I assume nothing without proof.

Last edited:

packcrush said:
Are you going to say something intelligent, or just halt with the eyebrow? How can you defend a man who revolutionized Islamic terrorism?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I never insinuated that they don't have the right to be there. I agree that there are criminals who want to better their lives, who are lost in their ways, and who completely regret the crimes they have committed. However, I know that a lot of criminals are phony, too. If we make it too easy, their sentences will be reduced as well. If they want out of prison, they have to prove that they are going to live like civilized human beings. I want them to spend years proving that before we let them out. This is assuming they aren't in prisons for murder, rape, pedophilia, etc.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
What concept? Lenience? I believe immoral behavior should be punished, and when necessary, strictly. I find it interesting that you bring up Bible verses and portray them in a way that suggests that it's always wrong to carry out a punishment that fits the crime.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrori

Sonoftelepunk said:

Jesus, as accorded to in the Bible, said 'love thy enemies'. Love them in the sense of giving them basic human comforts when they're captured. That is the only way that Jesus' words can be interpreted in the world in which we live. Especially when regarding terrorism.

:lol: So that's all he meant. So I guess love thy neighbor means just allowing them basic human rights?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

Macfistowannabe said:

What Gere is calling for is beyond insanity. He's basically saying that next time a flight attendant gets throat-cut, just put on "All You Need Is Love" and it will sustain our enemies. He's a red diapered, brainwashed moron suffering severely under the peacenik movement, and I'm glad he left the country. He didn't deserve to live in it in the first place.
That's not what he's saying at all, but I'm glad you've talked to him and figured all of this out and judged that he isn't worthy of this country.:|

And I won't even touch the first part of your post because one it had nothing to do with the thread at hand and two it is so filled with hate that you are beginning to sound like a terrorist.

Macfistowannabe said:

Yes, reach out to these people who have been raised from childhood to hate us, and were likely fresh out of schools that taught them how to become suicide bombers. I'm sorry to disagree with you, but they've been raised since day one to hate us with ignorance, and to believe that democracy is the purest form of evil. I don't believe that most Muslims are terrorists, but more should speak out against the atrocities that these extremists are committing on a global level. Convince me that Islam is a religion of peace, and not a religion of pieces. Show me a positive message for mankind out of the Koran. Give me the proper context for controversial passages in weighty detail. I'd like to believe there are good people in all religions, but I assume nothing without proof.

My god you are so full of judgemental wrath and hatred. It's almost as if your vacation from here filled you with more vileness. The Koran just like the Bible is filled with passages of love and wrath. The Bible just like the Koran can be taken out of context too and provide justification for hatred, murder, and bigotry.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist broth

Macfistowannabe said:

What concept? Lenience? I believe immoral behavior should be punished, and when necessary, strictly. I find it interesting that you bring up Bible verses and portray them in a way that suggests that it's always wrong to carry out a punishment that fits the crime.

NO WHERE DID I SAY NOT TO PUNISH THE CRIME!!! Quit fucking putting words in my mouth.

What concept? The concept of love your enemy. Love your enemy doesn't mean let anything go and not to enforce law and justice. But it also doesn't allow to write them off as not being human anymore, to write them off as not being able to love anymore and that's exactly what you have done.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist broth

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What concept? The concept of love your enemy. Love your enemy doesn't mean let anything go and not to enforce law and justice. But it also doesn't allow to write them off as not being human anymore, to write them off as not being able to love anymore and that's exactly what you have done.

They are terrorists. They have no ability to love. They hate me, they hate you. Well, maybe they'd feel more affectionate towards you for wanting them to be able to kill you easier.

Look at what you're saying, it is irresponsible. I am very thankful that you aren't in charge of keeping innocents safe.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrori

Sonoftelepunk said:

They are terrorists. They have no ability to love. They hate me, they hate you. Well, maybe they'd feel more affectionate towards you for wanting them to be able to kill you easier.

Look at what you're saying, it is irresponsible. I am very thankful that you aren't in charge of keeping innocents safe.

They are still human, that's what Christ was trying to tell us. They have children, they have brothers and sisters. Yes they are completely disturbed and filled with hate. But why? Why are they filled with such hate. Shouldn't we be concerned with this at all? There's no way to ever eliminate terrorism unless you find out what it really is that motivates one to do this. And don't give me the "they hate democracy rhetoric"...

Look at what you are saying. It's not only irresponsible but it's immoral.

Why are you thankful that I'm not in charge of keeping innocents safe? What does this have to do with this?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrori

BonoVoxSupastar said:

They are still human, that's what Christ was trying to tell us. They have children, they have brothers and sisters. Yes they are completely disturbed and filled with hate. But why? Why are they filled with such hate. Shouldn't we be concerned with this at all? There's no way to ever eliminate terrorism unless you find out what it really is that motivates one to do this. And don't give me the "they hate democracy rhetoric"...

Look at what you are saying. It's not only irresponsible but it's immoral.

Why are you thankful that I'm not in charge of keeping innocents safe? What does this have to do with this?

Oh, they're human alright. Barely human. I will only regard them as human so I don't let myself underestimate what they could accomplish.

Their hatred goes as far back as religious intolerance does. The Islamic terrorists of which I speak have hated Jews for centuries. They may not have been called terrorists, but they harbored the same sentiments. The west generally supports Israel. Since these terrorists hate the Israeli people, they hate those who support them as well.

Even though they do despise democracy, I won't launch into that section for your sake.

I am glad that you don't protect innocent people from terrorism because your views are dangerous. If you had that power I have no doubt that those people would fall victim to terrorism again and again. You are too concerned with the aspects of a terrorist's psyche to realize that killing us is their main goal.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our

Sonoftelepunk said:

I am glad that you don't protect innocent people from terrorism because your views are dangerous. If you had that power I have no doubt that those people would fall victim to terrorism again and again. You are too concerned with the aspects of a terrorist's psyche to realize that killing us is their main goal.

And you have become just as consumed in your hatred for them. That's just as dangerous. That's exactly what Christ was talking about.

Back
Top Bottom