Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

Richard Gere on 9/11: "In a situation like this, of course you identify with everyone who's suffering. [But we must also think about] the terrorists who are creating such horrible future lives for themselves because of the negativity of this karma. It's all of our jobs too keep our minds as expansive as possible. If you can see [the terrorists] as a relative who's dangerously sick and we have to give them medicine, and the medicine is love and compassion. There's nothing better."

[Booing continues]

"That’s apparently unpopular right now, but that’s alright."

And why exactly do terrorists "deserve" love and compassion?

Old 09-06-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 11:09 AM
Thye don't deserve love and compassion.

I like how he forms his words to the point of saying 'it's our fault that terrorism exists' but he leaves that to others to conclude.

I'd like to see him give love and compassion to a terrorist. The terrorist's love in return would be death.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:28 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:09 AM
Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe

And why exactly do terrorists "deserve" love and compassion?
Luke 6:27
Old 09-07-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonoftelepunk
Thye don't deserve love and compassion.

I like how he forms his words to the point of saying 'it's our fault that terrorism exists' but he leaves that to others to conclude.
Where does he say that???

IMO, he's only saying that, instead of aggression, love and compassion may solve the problem.

He's also not saying that terrorists "deserve" love and compassion. This is not about "deserving" or a simplistic good-guy bad-buy theory. It's a bit more complicated than that.

Besides that, Mr Gere's theories may be a bit naive. But then again, wouldn't the world be a better place if all of us were a little bit more naive....
Old 09-07-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 04:09 PM
I think Gere may be commenting on how terrorism comes to exist; I remember Willie Nelson saying something along the lines of "We have to find out what we're doing to people that makes them want to fly airliners into buildings full of people; and then when we find it out; we have to stop doing it to them, so maybe they'll stop flying airliners into our buildings." Not that Willie Nelson is an expert in world politics or anything; but I did think it was slightly refreshing; compared with all the "bomb them into the stone age" rhetoric that was going around.

I personally think better to fight terrorism by tacking its root causes.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

I enjoy reading such extremist responses, because I can then understand the kind of extremism that Islamists level at us.

If we want to understand foreign extremism, we have to understand domestic extremism first.

Melon
Old 09-11-2005, 05:10 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I don't think terrorists deserve love and compassion. I do think that we need to create situations that improve quality of life for Middle Easterners and encourage a more positive attitude toward the West. Unfortunately, that's a hard thing to do when everything most of us know about the "other side" is filtered through the media, with varying degrees of government control and interests involved.

Overall, though, it's more than a little simplistic to say "make love, not war" and I think most people on this site who are against the war make much more intelligent arguments.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:38 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Luke 6:27
What are you suggesting, that we don't punish these Hitlers in sandscarfs? That we give them a better life at Gitmo than they had in the Middle East?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:48 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

Quote:
What are you suggesting, that we don't punish these Hitlers in sandscarfs? That we give them a better life at Gitmo than they had in the Middle East?
No one said anything about not bringing justice. Where would you get such an absurd idea?

Just tell me why that verse doesn't apply?
Old 09-15-2005, 01:07 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

Quote:
No one said anything about not bringing justice. Where would you get such an absurd idea?
I wanted you to further explain your position. How are we supposed to serve justice to these throat-cutters in your view?

Quote:
Just tell me why that verse doesn't apply?
I could just as easily suggest Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 and ask you the same question.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace."

God gave the Israelites the duty to protect their country throughout The Bible. We gave peace a chance with these Islamofascists, and as a result, they attacked our homeland and beheaded our citizens, all while mumbling rubbish to their "God." And that's just for starters. If we show them any more hospitality than we have already, we give every Muslim in the Middle East all the more reason to become throat-cutters in caves, and in turn we are carelessly compromising our security. I'm not suggesting Abu Ghraib-style prisons. I am suggesting severe punishments towards those who want to kill Americans in order to deter the spread of global terrorism. Hospitality only invites more of them into our backyard.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:18 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

Quote:
I wanted you to further explain your position. How are we supposed to serve justice to these throat-cutters in your view?

I could just as easily suggest Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 and ask you the same question.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace."

God gave the Israelites the duty to protect their country throughout The Bible. We gave peace a chance with these Islamofascists, and as a result, they attacked our homeland and beheaded our citizens, all while mumbling rubbish to their "God." And that's just for starters. If we show them any more hospitality than we have already, we give every Muslim in the Middle East all the more reason to become throat-cutters in caves, and in turn we are carelessly compromising our security. I'm not suggesting Abu Ghraib-style prisons. I am suggesting severe punishments towards those who want to kill Americans in order to deter the spread of global terrorism. Hospitality only invites more of them into our backyard.
Well you are confusing all the issues now. The original post said to offer love and compassion. It didn't say anything about criminals not deserving punishment. I'm not sure why you keep bringing this up. Then you start talking about hospitality, I don't know where that came from.

We gave peace a chance? That's funny. We may have not been literally fighting them, but by no means was it peace. Then you make the amazingly empathetic comment that "we give every Muslim in the Middle East all the more reason to become throat-cutters in caves".

So then I go back and ask you again, what do you think Christ meant by the passage I gave earlier?
Old 09-16-2005, 01:26 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Ah what an amusing thread.

Melon
Old 09-16-2005, 03:19 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

Quote:
It didn't say anything about criminals not deserving punishment. I'm not sure why you keep bringing this up.
I bring it up because you haven't said your piece on how we should punish these savages. A popular answer among the left is seemingly to offer them theraaapy and friendship, which is why I started this thread. It would be a laughable conclusion if it wasn't so prevalent. I don't believe in that kind of garbage. I don't believe in rewarding criminals with top notch social services. I believe these psychos are better off living the rest of their lives in mysery. Should they attempt to escape, shoot them. I believe in a strict, silent environment where they are fed ONCE a day, NO TALKING, no TV, no video games, no nudie mags, you get the idea. So once again, I ask for your solution. You've said they should be punished. How?

Quote:
So then I go back and ask you again, what do you think Christ meant by the passage I gave earlier?
You can love your enemies by keeping them fed and sheltered enough for survival, but by no means do I find that passage as a call for ultra-tolerance for barbaric behavior, and authorities have the duty to protect innocent people by all means, even if you have to take a life of a throat-cutter in order to save a law-abiding citizen. Back to the passage, you can experiment with peace talks here and there, but if it isn't effective, if it isn't protecting innocent people, if it's just a waste of your time, you have no other alternative than to cut the crap. We shouldn't fall for the phony publicity stunts that Yassir Arafat specialized in, which led to him becoming the first terrorist formally invited into the White House. Arafat, that anti-semitist fool, didn't want peace. He wanted pieces. Pieces of flesh from dead Jews.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:17 PM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

Quote:
I bring it up because you haven't said your piece on how we should punish these savages. A popular answer among the left is seemingly to offer them theraaapy and friendship, which is why I started this thread. It would be a laughable conclusion if it wasn't so prevalent. I don't believe in that kind of garbage. I don't believe in rewarding criminals with top notch social services. I believe these psychos are better off living the rest of their lives in mysery. Should they attempt to escape, shoot them. I believe in a strict, silent environment where they are fed ONCE a day, NO TALKING, no TV, no video games, no nudie mags, you get the idea. So once again, I ask for your solution. You've said they should be punished. How?
Well as I've stated in many of threads before. You give them a fair trial, once they are found guilty you lock them up for life. I haven't heard of any videogames, nudie mags, or even TV at Gitmo so I'm not sure where you are getting this. Feeding once a day is bordering on torture, I would think as Americans a civilized society we are beyond torture...but I guess not.
Quote:

You can love your enemies by keeping them fed and sheltered enough for survival, but by no means do I find that passage as a call for ultra-tolerance for barbaric behavior, and authorities have the duty to protect innocent people by all means, even if you have to take a life of a throat-cutter in order to save a law-abiding citizen. Back to the passage, you can experiment with peace talks here and there, but if it isn't effective, if it isn't protecting innocent people, if it's just a waste of your time, you have no other alternative than to cut the crap.
No one's calling for an ultra-tolerance for barbaric behavior!!! And that's not what Gere is calling for.

What he's calling for is a reaching out to people before they strap the bomb to themselves, reach out and show them we aren't the enemy. Quit ignoring them and treating them as the "every Muslim will turn into a terrorist" mentality. This mentality will keep terrorism alive.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:29 PM   #15
The Fly

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's "understaaaand" our terrorist brothers.

Quote:

No one's calling for an ultra-tolerance for barbaric behavior!!! And that's not what Gere is calling for.

What he's calling for is a reaching out to people before they strap the bomb to themselves, reach out and show them we aren't the enemy. Quit ignoring them and treating them as the "every Muslim will turn into a terrorist" mentality. This mentality will keep terrorism alive.
He didn't say that we should reach out to Muslims before they are inducted into terrorism. He clearly states that we should give those that are terrorists "love and compassion".