Let's Talk About Progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Saudis: We May Eventually Let Women Drive

The king of Saudi Arabia says women may eventually be allowed to drive in the kingdom.

Saudi Arabia will fight the "madness" of Islamic terrorism for 30 years if necessary, but it will expand the rights of women and eventually allow them to drive, Saudi King Abdullah has told an American TV channel.

In an interview with ABC's Barbara Walters, the king denied assertions that his government finances schools that teach a fundamentalist philosophy of Islam which can lead to militancy.

"But when pressed on whether he would legalize female driving, Abdullah indicated Saudi men were too conservative for such a step any time soon.

"I value and take care of my people as I would my eyes ... I respect my people," he said. "

So is he saying he respects the men more than he does the women?

Driving is just one small part of the issue, I'd rather not drive than to have to ask a man permission to do anything.

"any time soon" doesn't sound like he's in any hurry..

Excuse me, these are our allies. Let's show some respect. :|

Grim.

Well to be fair, the notion of haram, the private and "forbidden" (to unrelated males) world of women and children is an ancient, in fact pre-Islamic, tradition in that part of that world, not simply a "private brothel" for husbands as titillated (male) colonialists were wont to see it. (It didn't help that they only saw the households of the very wealthy and corrupt.) I share the skepticism about King Abdullah's sincerity as a reformer, but just for the sake of argument, it is not simple madness or tyranny to hesitate about forcing sweeping changes on society when these changes touch directly on deeply-rooted concepts about propriety, wholesomeness and "cleanliness" (as with the Hebrew tahmay or treyf, an unfortunately inadequate way to translate the force of ritual taboo).

Consider the Indian constitution's supposed banning of caste (a concept with *some* similar aspects)--it was simply ignored, although the understanding of caste has and continues to evolve. Westernized reformers can spout all the stuff they want on paper about individual rights and freedoms--it means nothing if the society is not *reasonably* ready to undertake the necessary changes.

Nonetheless, MrsSpringsteen's question about just who "my people" are is an excellent one, and the right one to ask IMO.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:
:hmm:

i wonder what Bandar Bush thinks of this?

Bandar Bush says

“Many things are reported in the press about rights, womens' rights.

One is to be advised what is to be taken clitorally. God willing”

anitram said:
Excuse me, these are our allies. Let's show some respect. :|

Grim.
They are the allies of the realists, you will find more contempt for the Saudie regime in the neoconservative camp.

For an example of a woman who has just gotten out I recomend reading about Rania Al-Baz.

Back
Top Bottom