Let's Talk About CUBA Baby!!!! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
I think demonization of Cuba means nothing considering how China is given a free pass and is probably worse than Cuba yet enjoys immense trading privileges. But $$$$$$$$ overrides human rights every time.

and strange how most of the world seems to friends with Pakistan even thought its leader too was not democratically elected.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:54 PM   #32
She's the One

Local Time: 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by adrball
and strange how most of the world seems to friends with Pakistan even thought its leader too was not democratically elected.
And Saudi Arabia, which disenfranchises half its population.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:59 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

And Saudi Arabia, which disenfranchises half its population.

woman! step AWAY from the motorcycle and give the keys to your husband.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #34
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
woman! step AWAY from the motorcycle and give the keys to your husband.

(Although everyone would be safer if I did. )
Old 05-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:31 PM

Quote:

That's perverse.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:57 PM   #36
War Child

Local Time: 12:31 AM
Quote:

However, it doesn't necessarily mean that the leader cannot do a more than satisfactory job.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:31 PM
Well darkies need to have a strong leader or nothing would get done, they don't have the capacity for freedom (heavy on the sarcasm since I feel that sort of racial determinism is a lot like hardline cultural determinism - there are things that people shouldn't be condemned to just because their leaders are "other", *slavery and murder for instance, where people draw that line is for cultural considerations; I mean we allow people to mutilate their babies in the name of religion).

*made from the culturally biased position that slavery and murder are bad things.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #38
War Child

Local Time: 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
I think demonization of Cuba means nothing considering how China is given a free pass and is probably worse than Cuba yet enjoys immense trading privileges. But $$$$$$$$ overrides human rights every time.
Not in my book. I won't visit Cuba. I won't visit China. I won't visit Mexico. I probably wouldn't visit any of the Caribbean nations, because of their terrible homophobia (Jamaica being probably the worst of them all).

As a tourist, I vote with my pocketbook.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:47 PM   #39
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Ormus

Not in my book. I won't visit Cuba. I won't visit China. I won't visit Mexico. I probably wouldn't visit any of the Caribbean nations, because of their terrible homophobia (Jamaica being probably the worst of them all).

As a tourist, I vote with my pocketbook.
Only, voting is not a necessity to these countries political system.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:49 PM   #40
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by butter7
Only, voting is not a necessity to these countries political system.
But money is a necessity to keep those systems in power.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:55 PM   #41
War Child

Quote:

But money is a necessity to keep those systems in power.
Your point is correct, but would you like to check how much foreign tourists contributed to these countries GDP?

I admire your courage to put such a self-restriction on choosing places to have a good holiday. However, I found it's a bit funny at the same time....

If I had a chance, I'd love to go to Cuba to have a look. It doesn't matter what I gonna see, all I wanted is the picture that the local people's life in my own eyes.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:08 PM   #42
War Child

Quote:
Your point is correct, but would you like to check how much foreign tourists contributed to these countries GDP?
A country like Cuba actively courts tourists for a reason. If it was such a minuscule effect on their GDP, they wouldn't actively push for tourists like they do. For many countries, tourism can be a substantial percentage of their GDP.

Quote:
I admire your courage to put such a self-restriction on choosing places to have a good holiday. However, I found it's a bit funny at the same time....
What's the fun in shipping yourself off to a foreign country, only to sequester yourself to tourist resorts that have little resemblance to the actual country? Beyond that, I don't find abject poverty and/or political repression to be all that attractive in a tourist destination anyway, so it's not as if I'm torturing myself by not going to these countries.

There are plenty of interesting destinations that are deserving of my money in this world.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:25 PM   #43
War Child

Quote:

A country like Cuba actively courts tourists for a reason. If it was such a minuscule effect on their GDP, they wouldn't actively push for tourists like they do. For many countries, tourism can be a substantial percentage of their GDP.

What's the fun in shipping yourself off to a foreign country, only to sequester yourself to tourist resorts that have little resemblance to the actual country? Beyond that, I don't find abject poverty and/or political repression to be all that attractive in a tourist destination anyway, so it's not as if I'm torturing myself by not going to these countries.

There are plenty of interesting destinations that are deserving of my money in this world.

Hmmm. I see. You and I hold very different opinion on the reason of going to a foreign country.

Pretty as much as you seeking the political part, I care more about the different color presented in the world. Therefore Cuba seems to be a very interesting country to me. If I just want a comfortable and material rich holiday, I could stay at home, watch movies in my bedroom. I haven't never been to Cuba, therefore I've no idea how big the differences between the tourist resorts and the actual country could be. So it's very interesting to have a look at myself. Why stick with the tourist resorts anyway? Are you come to the country to see the life of the local people, or you just want to see the faces of other foreign touriest?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:43 PM   #44
She's the One

Quote:
That doesn't matter; it's a moral point. Some people don't want any of thier money supporting governments with which they disagree.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:46 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

That doesn't matter; it's a moral point. Some people don't want any of thier money supporting governments with which they disagree.
If I was a tourist, I wouldn't visit the U.S.