Let's Really Fight Terrorism. Funding Schools in Saudi Arabia - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-21-2003, 07:20 AM   #16
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 12:31 AM
Does Sting not have an opinion on the schools idea? Hmmmmm?
__________________

__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 05-21-2003, 03:27 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 04:31 AM
I do, but its obvious your main reason for asking is not solely my opinion.
__________________

__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 05-21-2003, 03:43 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,667
Local Time: 10:31 PM
Well Sting, I can't speak for Pax, but I think there are several of us who are curious as to if you have any opinion beyond the UN resolutions and your love for our military. Not that these are wrong, but every response somehow relates back to these items. I'm interested in your opinion on this given subject. I think everyone knows where you stand elsewhere.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 05-21-2003, 04:28 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
I do, but its obvious your main reason for asking is not solely my opinion.
I think her main reason was to get the thread on track.

No one doubts, that you are very knowledgeable of the UN and the Resolutions. I have learned a lot chatting with you about such things.

I for one think in theory it is a nice idea, but it is not practical. If outsiders came into our country to run our schools, I would not be happy about it. They would be outsiders and they would be there clearly to influence my opinions of them. The change has to come from within their own nation.

I also hate the idea of money being sent to other countries to fund schools when over the past three years in my district, class sizes are rizing. IN my wife's school, after nine years of teaching there, she is now, 3 people away on the lay off list. That is after nine years. THere have been layoffs over the past two.

In light of these two points, I think it is a nice philosophical way to battle the terrorists, but it is not practical.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 05-21-2003, 06:31 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:31 AM
I agree with you Dread. It's not practical. Saudis would be horrified at the idea of any of their schools being funded by people who are neither Arabic nor Moslem. As awful as these medresse schools are they are just a reflection of Saudi society. It is a very conservative Islamic country. They are going to have to change in some ways or self-destruct. But it's not in our power to change their society. They have to decide to. This is a nice philosophical idea but it would never work.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 05-21-2003, 08:27 PM   #21
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 12:31 AM
Well, Sting, you might be on to something.

You want to enlighten us or what?
__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 05-21-2003, 09:59 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 04:31 AM
BonoVoxSupastar,


"Well Sting, I can't speak for Pax, but I think there are several of us who are curious as to if you have any opinion beyond the UN resolutions and your love for our military. Not that these are wrong, but every response somehow relates back to these items. I'm interested in your opinion on this given subject. I think everyone knows where you stand elsewhere."

First, I only bring up the issue of the military or UN resolutions if it is relevant to something someone else has just posted. Notice my first response in this thread was in response to something someone else had already posted in this thread!

"I think there are several of us who are curious as to if you have any opinion beyond the UN resolutions and your love for our military"

Thats an unfair and inaccurate characterization of my posts. I've been a member of this forum since August of 2000(first as STING, then STING2 when my account mysteriously disappeared one day) and have had plenty to say on a variety of things in multiple forums in addition to the two things you mentioned above.

I don't understand where this perhaps personal observation of when, where and what a person posts comes from? Whats your point of anylyzing ones posting habbits if they are not personally abusive of another person in the forum? I understand that in this forum, my opinion is a minority opinion, but why should that make one question or make inaccurate or unfair judgements about my postings?

If you don't want a response to a posts of yours about the military or the reasons or legality of war in Iraq, then don't bring those things up in your posts. I'm only responding to things others have posted.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 05-22-2003, 01:26 AM   #23
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 12:31 AM
My point is, Sting, that we--or at least I--am honestly, genuinely interested in your opinion on funding these schools in Saudi Arabia. Do you or do you not think this would be a constructive thing to do? Why or why not?

(And for any other interested parties, just yesterday I know Sting posted in Just the Bang..., so he does have other interests. )
__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 05-22-2003, 03:40 AM   #24
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 940
Local Time: 04:31 AM
THIS is what I was talking about in the other 'Is Al-Qaeda Back' thread.

I don't think trying to take over their education would/could actually ever happen, but its the right idea.

Fighting the causes of terrorism, and the support of it, not just the terrorists.
__________________
TylerDurden is offline  
Old 05-22-2003, 12:09 PM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,667
Local Time: 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
BonoVoxSupastar,


"Well Sting, I can't speak for Pax, but I think there are several of us who are curious as to if you have any opinion beyond the UN resolutions and your love for our military. Not that these are wrong, but every response somehow relates back to these items. I'm interested in your opinion on this given subject. I think everyone knows where you stand elsewhere."

First, I only bring up the issue of the military or UN resolutions if it is relevant to something someone else has just posted. Notice my first response in this thread was in response to something someone else had already posted in this thread!

"I think there are several of us who are curious as to if you have any opinion beyond the UN resolutions and your love for our military"

Thats an unfair and inaccurate characterization of my posts. I've been a member of this forum since August of 2000(first as STING, then STING2 when my account mysteriously disappeared one day) and have had plenty to say on a variety of things in multiple forums in addition to the two things you mentioned above.

I don't understand where this perhaps personal observation of when, where and what a person posts comes from? Whats your point of anylyzing ones posting habbits if they are not personally abusive of another person in the forum? I understand that in this forum, my opinion is a minority opinion, but why should that make one question or make inaccurate or unfair judgements about my postings?

If you don't want a response to a posts of yours about the military or the reasons or legality of war in Iraq, then don't bring those things up in your posts. I'm only responding to things others have posted.
I apologize for any personal response you feel I gave to you. I've just noticed that I and a few others have asked you to stay on topic of the thread since the War Forum has started. I know it's not just you. I apologize for voicing my personal frustrations.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 05-22-2003, 12:38 PM   #26
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 12:31 AM
No, it's not just Sting. But in this case, we are still waiting for him to share his opinion on what the thread is actually about.
__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 05-22-2003, 12:46 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TylerDurden
I don't think trying to take over their education would/could actually ever happen, but its the right idea.

Fighting the causes of terrorism, and the support of it, not just the terrorists.
Do you think we will ever get a consensus to eliminate Wahhabism, "the most intolerant, hateful breed of Islam"?
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 05-22-2003, 01:03 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 11:31 PM
Well, we can't expect the best of all worlds, so someone will have to make a meta-narrative and work from there. It may be time for a modernist-style cultural revolution that looks disdainfully on "subordinate" cultures. After all, these cultures that we are so delicately trying to preserve, while wanting to eliminate their fanatical elements, certainly feel no remorse for wanting to create a cultural revolution of their own and obliterating ours completely.

The last millennium or two is marked by cultural revolutions, and, like it or not, there are many cultures that are extinct today; some "good" and some "bad."

I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. I, frankly, don't know what to believe. All I know is that the West and its "enemies" play by different philosophical tenets.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 05-22-2003, 09:33 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader


Do you think we will ever get a consensus to eliminate Wahhabism, "the most intolerant, hateful breed of Islam"?
I imagine that *many* Moslems oppose Wahhabism and want to stop the teaching of it. I don't know how many statements, etc, etc by Moslems I've read to the effect of "real Moslems believe in peace" and "we believe in an Islam of tolerance". The people on the 4iraqis discussion board are frustrated about this stuff. It varies from place to place. Turkey is a secular state and heck, they shut down their medresses in the '20's. Saudi Arabia may be the most conservative Islamic country and thus the least likely to shut down their medresses. I wouldn't know if it's even possible to get their medresses to stop teaching Wahhabism and start teaching a more moderate brand of Islam. They may have to if Saudi Arabia is going to fight terrorism at home. The question is how much they are willing to do to stop terrorism. The royal family may have to change tactics with this to save their position in the society. It's so much harder to understand a country like Saudi Arabia.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 05-22-2003, 10:26 PM   #30
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 12:31 AM
Still waiting.
__________________

__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com