Lest We Forget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS

In Flanders Fields

by John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

ya i made a thread on the subject that got little response which bugs me. its a big deal. i cant believe noone else is saying anything about it.

at least us good boy canadians know a thing or two about respect, eh?

Lots of love to my 2 dads for Vietnam; all 4 gramps for WWII, especially Grandpa Karl and Grandpa Bud for their time as POWs; and to all the men and women who have fought and even given their lives for our great country.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

may i ask how you have two fathers and four grandfathers? are you talking about your husbands family as well? just curious.

Battle tanks, Hum-vees, troops, school bands and veterans all paraded by my office building today in one of the largest Veteran's Day parades in the U.S.

It was a sight to see, even a veteran of the Battle of the Bulge, the last one from his group still alive (or able to march) marched by himself.

Thanks to dreadsox and other veterans who read these forums.

~U2Alabama

really bama, the last one from your area? i find that odd really, cause the battle of the bulge lasted from the end of 44 until the beginning of 45...it was the last major german offensive.

what im saying is, that wasnt really all that long ago. how many were in his group to begin with?

at the rememberance day service i was at today, there were i believe four or five veterans in attendance. the whole gym was packed with people, but it was incredible to see five or six rows behind the veterans left unoccupied out of respect for the men. incredible really.

one of the veterans participated in the d-day invasion, which is worthy of making note.

Thanks to my father who served 27 years in the US Army achieving the rank of full Colonel! He was in Vietnam for a full year in 1968. He has served all over the world including Germany, South Korea, Vietnam(as mentioned above) and Sudan and Somalia. Today he is a High School Mathamatics teacher.

I just recently learned that my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather was at the battle of Lexington and Concord in 1775.

Two of my best friends are Captains in the US Marine Corp. One is coming home from Afghanistan very soon, and the other is a Cobra Helicopter Pilot. He recieved his maps for Iraq and desert uniforms last month.

Well, I was going to make a Veterans Day thread yesterday, but knowing the way things tend to go around here, I figured it might turn into some sort of argument about the 'merits of war'. Sorry, just being honest here..

Thanks to all veterans everywhere-I have the utmost respect for you.

Zoomerang96 said:
really bama, the last one from your area? i find that odd really, cause the battle of the bulge lasted from the end of 44 until the beginning of 45...it was the last major german offensive.

what im saying is, that wasnt really all that long ago. how many were in his group to begin with?

Quano Abidji-Achibi:

He is apparently the last Battle of the Bulge soldier from his unit who is still able to march. There were numerous WW2 veterans "riding" in the parade (and some riding in an air-conditioned bus), but this guy has been covered in the newspaper before due to his desire to march the whole parade every year. By looking at him, I would guess that he is in his mid-80s. I don't know how many were in his group to begin with. We should remember that we are losing 1,200 WW2 veterans each day (as I heard on the radio yesterday), and when I have kids, there will not be many of these folks in the Veterans Day parade. I might take my camera next year, as there was a lot to see.

~U2Alabama

I just can't believe that someone would be willing to sacrifice their life - Their own life! - For the freedom of a country. I feel so lucky...priviledged...that I can live in a country where I can have an opinion...and dont have to worry about being killed on the way to school because of my religion...or how I can vote(when I'm older) for whomever I want without being punished...or that I GET to go to school and vote...I will never forget, never.

Ravenstar,

This thread was started to honor those that have sacrificed their lives in war or risked this through service in the armed forces so that you could have the cherished freedoms that you just spoke of, that many people around the world do not have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom