lesbian swans - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-16-2005, 10:46 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,495
Local Time: 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Well, that's the question. Does mere companionship of two female swans make them "homosexual"?


in as much as homosexuality is a sexual and emotional orientation towards the same gender, yes.

these swans are as functionally homosexual as the other swans are functionally heterosexual.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 08-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
UnforgettableLemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 7,286
Local Time: 11:17 AM
I swear, I'm reading this and T. Rex's "Ride a White Swan" came on iTunes...
__________________

__________________
UnforgettableLemon is offline  
Old 08-16-2005, 01:01 PM   #18
New Yorker
 
AvsGirl41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,948
Local Time: 09:17 AM
There is a children's book out telling a true story of two male penguins, I believe in New York, who made a nest. The keepers gave them an abandoned egg and they raised the chick as their own.

I have a same-sex parakeet couple, they are very much in love. My sister renamed them Kyan and Carson.
__________________
AvsGirl41 is offline  
Old 08-16-2005, 10:57 PM   #19
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Why do we project human sexuality on animals?
'We'?



You dont have pets? Interesting. Why do you seperate yourself from your wife's?
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 08-17-2005, 10:37 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
'We'?

You dont have pets? Interesting. Why do you seperate yourself from your wife's?
Humans generally.

I have no interest in our cat, but since it makes my wife happy, we keep it.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 08-17-2005, 10:40 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

in as much as homosexuality is a sexual and emotional orientation towards the same gender, yes.

these swans are as functionally homosexual as the other swans are functionally heterosexual.
I guess I don't see animals as capable of the same sexual/emotional orientation as humans. I think we see parallels to our own emotions.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 08-17-2005, 02:52 PM   #22
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Colorado, mostly.
Posts: 48
Local Time: 04:17 PM
All living creatures have instances of homosexual relations; it's only humans (and only some humans at that) that have a problem with that.
__________________
Mongpoovian is offline  
Old 08-17-2005, 03:46 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 08:17 AM
Very conclusive.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 07:21 AM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,495
Local Time: 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader


I guess I don't see animals as capable of the same sexual/emotional orientation as humans. I think we see parallels to our own emotions.


i agree.

however, if animals are capable of conducting their mating/parenting duties with either a member of the same sex or the opposite, i think we might be able to call that "hetero/homosexual" (as opposed to "straight" or "gay" ... like the difference, say, between sex, which is biological, and gender, which is cultural). but you're right, it's a flawed term.

cute story, though.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 08-18-2005, 11:51 PM   #25
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader


I guess I don't see animals as capable of the same sexual/emotional orientation as humans. I think we see parallels to our own emotions.
Do you really believe this? I dont, if I would believe it, then i'd have to say you must be a cold hearltess bastard, right? Loving and caring for an animal is almost purely all give. They're selfish little bastards, and I say this as someone who has had numerous cats and dogs at a constant my whole life. It is pretty much a one way street. If there are parallels though, why do humans who are caring and giving individuals not necessarily want to own and care for a selfish pet?
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 08-19-2005, 08:33 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Do you really believe this? I dont, if I would believe it, then i'd have to say you must be a cold hearltess bastard, right? Loving and caring for an animal is almost purely all give. They're selfish little bastards, and I say this as someone who has had numerous cats and dogs at a constant my whole life. It is pretty much a one way street. If there are parallels though, why do humans who are caring and giving individuals not necessarily want to own and care for a selfish pet?
I hope you misunderstood my statements when you respond this way.

I am not saying that people cannot care for animals. I believe that animals are not capable of the same emotions as humans.

When we see an animal respond to us, we tend to define it in terms of our own human emotions. That makes people happy and enjoy owning a pet.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 08-19-2005, 09:00 AM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,495
Local Time: 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

When we see an animal respond to us, we tend to define it in terms of our own human emotions. That makes people happy and enjoy owning a pet.


you know, they used to believe that was true. that your pet didn't really love you, that it's desire for affection was little more than an instinctual pleasure thing, and that the enthusiasm your average dog exhibits when his master returns is little more than a replication of your own emotions.

but now, scientists are more in line with pet owners. while not on a human level, anyone who has had pets and deeply loved them knows well that pets are capable of love, need affection and attention, and have much more complicated moods and emotions that originally given credit. of course, we do anthromorphize these things, but they are real, they just exist on a dog level, which is about the level of a 2 or 3 year old child.

it might take being a pet owner to truly appreciate, but it's very real.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 08-19-2005, 08:06 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Souly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 4,039
Local Time: 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41
There is a children's book out telling a true story of two male penguins, I believe in New York, who made a nest. The keepers gave them an abandoned egg and they raised the chick as their own.

I have a same-sex parakeet couple, they are very much in love. My sister renamed them Kyan and Carson.
The gay penguins!
__________________
Souly is offline  
Old 08-19-2005, 08:18 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,294
Local Time: 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

When we see an animal respond to us, we tend to define it in terms of our own human emotions.
Behavioural scientists would disagree with you. Many of them adamantly.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 08-20-2005, 06:21 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram


Behavioural scientists would disagree with you. Many of them adamantly.
Of course they would. Projecting human emotion on animals is there religion.
__________________

__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com