lend me a billion please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
this year will be the biggest crisis in Africa in a long LONG time

40 millions people face starvation. Do you realize how many people that is who are in danger of dying for such a stupid reason.

so far rich countries have given 800, 000 million dollars. They need 1.8 billion

considering 80 billion was spent on the Iraq fucking war, I hope they cough up the bones :angry:

You know the story, America and Britain always have the money to bomb whichever small country is irritating them this week. They never have the money to meet even the measly 0.7% of GDP the UN recommends giving as international aid.

it makes me very mad

it's actually very hard to believe!

Not to rain on the anti-America parade necessarily, but what are the EU's statistics on Africa aid?

(It's an honest question; I don't know)

Melon

not anti-american

anti- 'money squandering by any country who can clearly afford to help more'

Basstrap said:
not anti-american

anti- 'money squandering by any country who can clearly afford to help more'

(I'm playing Devil's advocate here, because I want to explore the logic trail here...)

1) Where does the $1.8 billion statistic come from and what will it theoretically do for Africa?

2) By "rich countries," does that refer solely to the U.S.? Or does that include Canada / Australia and the EU / Western Europe?

Melon

IMO rich countries refers to the USA, Canada, Western Europe, Australia, basically any country which can damn well afford to give aid to countries where people are dying of starvation.

I don't know where the $1.8bn statistic is from, but I've heard similiar figures from groups like Oxfam and CAFOD. It's most likely the figure that's needed in order to alleviate the immediate crisis and save people from starving to death. It's not a long-term solution, but without it hundreds of thousands of people will die.

correct

The African crisis right now is perhaps the worst ever but it is overshadowed and virtually ignored.
We have been warned for a while now actually. The World Food Program estimated that this years famine might be the worst ever. So nobody should be caught by surprise

yeah, great thread. i hope someone will lend you the billion you need bassy (if it spent well of course :wink:)

cool sig btw

Back
Top Bottom