Legalize Marijuana? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 05-16-2004, 01:49 AM   #1
love, blood, life
Local Time: 04:42 PM
Legalize Marijuana?

Are you in favor or opposed to legalizing marijuana for adults? (I'm trying to keep the question simple and very clear cut by specifing only marijuana and only for adults.)

I'm in favor of legalizing it, as I believe that adults should have the right to make that decision for themselves.

(Oh, and I know this subject has probably come up before, but I scanned something like 13 or 14 pages back and didn't find anything, so I posted a new thread. Also hope it is in the correct forum -- if not, I'm sure someone will move it.)

Old 05-16-2004, 01:55 AM   #2
Jesus Online
Local Time: 07:42 AM
Tis in the correct forum, and this topic comes up every now and then so feel free to start a new one

That said, no. I dont think it should be legalised. If it ever happens that the majority of the free world does allow it, it wont bother me that much, but until then, I am opposed.
/short answer

<a href= target=_blank></a>
Old 05-16-2004, 05:10 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 12:42 PM
Short answer - no

Smoking in any form is bad for you
Old 05-16-2004, 05:38 PM   #4
War Child
Local Time: 08:42 PM
I think we should legalize it and tax it, just like we do tobacco and alcohol, which are just as bad or worse for you.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:37 PM   #5
New Yorker
Local Time: 01:42 PM
I think we should legalize it. The people who are doing it for recreational purposes will do it whether it's legal or illegal. I can't really see it increasing or decreasing.

It's more important to me to have it legalized so people could obtain it for medical purposes--without going through all the red tape.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:12 PM   #6
Local Time: 07:42 AM
I say legalize it...

marijuana should be in the same class as alcohol and of the two I believe that alcohol is the bigger evil.

marijuana is not evil, the only thing that makes it appear evil in my opinion is that it is considered bad and is illegal.....anyway this thread will turn into some big battle, those for and against...........
Old 05-16-2004, 10:38 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
(Let me preface this by saying: "I am a 33 yr old adult female who has NEVER smoked pot in her life!" OK, now that that's out of the way.....)
Legalize it. Yes, it impairs one's capabilities, but so do wine, beer & liquor, and they're all legal if you're old enough. But it'll never happen (at least here in the States) for one simple reason, IMHO: the government can't figure out how to keep all the ganja (sp?) lovers from growing the stuff in their coat closets! Uncle Sam could/would tax it and subsidize the growth of it on large farms, but they can't stop everybody with a dark room & a black light from running their own little "farm" and lighting up tax-free pot. In other words (and again, this is all speculation from my simple brain!), if the government could find a way to funnel ALL growth of marijuana through its system, so it could control costs, taxes, etc, pot would probably be legal in five years, not withstanding a serious fight by the religious sector of society. (Geez, do I sound like a conspriracy theorist to everyone else???)
There's a really good book I read a couple of years ago that addressed this (and other so-called "consentual laws")in depth. I don't remember the author's name, but it was called: Ain't Nobody's Business if I Do! The guy made some really good points about legalizing not only marijuana, but also some of the more addictive substances out there. I'm not entirely convinced by his arguments, but it sure made for interesting reading.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:05 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:42 PM
Agree with the majority. I have no intention of ever doing it, personally, but if somebody else wants to.... That's their business.

Old 05-17-2004, 01:07 AM   #9
love, blood, life
Local Time: 06:42 AM
But the extra costs on the public health system will be paid out of all our pockets, I for one do not like subsidising the stupidity of others.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:57 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 04:42 AM
I would like to see it legalised so the hemp industry can replace the environmentally distructive cotton industry.

I have just had a mental blank as to which drug comes from the hemp plant. Apologies if its not marijuana.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:33 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 02:42 PM
Originally posted by najeena
I think we should legalize it and tax it, just like we do tobacco and alcohol, which are just as bad or worse for you.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:32 AM   #12
I don't think it should become legal. I also think tobacco should become illegal because it's so unhealthy and addicting. (It took me many tries to finally quit).
Old 05-17-2004, 12:29 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 01:42 PM
It is bad enough that we have people addicted to or centering their lives around alcohol. We don't need to make another destructive option easier to obtain.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:33 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor
people are gonna do it anyway wether it's legal or illegal... but then again, people are gonna murder people wether it's legal or illegal, also... so that's not really a good reason to make something legal or not.

frankly i don't care either way...

make it legal in vegas on a ten year trial basis and see what happens.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:06 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 03:42 PM

I took a few puffs as a teenager, didn't like it, haven't touched it in many years, and hope I don't ever have to smell it again. But I say legalize it.

Why? Because doing so would not hurt anyone but the lawyers and the courts who make so much money off of people charged with petty drug possession. I had to sit through traffic court with someone I know who was charged with reckless driving. Since this was a criminal offense, we got put in the criminal court instead of traffic court. Sitting there for hours, I noticed that more than 75% of the people there were charged with pot violations in some way, small possession, small distrubution, pulled for other auto violation and roaches found in the ashtray, pot plant growing in the backyard garden, etc. I hate to think how much faster the court system could work through their cases and how much more room there would be in jails for real criminals if it were legalized. But then the lawyers would lose money defending them, and the localities would lose their fine money and court costs. I am starting to believe that is the only reason it remains illegal.

I was reading just recently a story about the history of pot in America. It was not made illegal until the 1930's, but it was always around, even smoked by the founding fathers and Native Americans. It was a very interesting story, I'll type it up if anyone is interested but there is no link or copy and paste for it

No, I am not a radical, or a leftist. I think it's gotten to the point where it is ridiculous to keep making criminals out of people who are really no worse off high than drunk. I've been around enough of both, and really, drunks are usually worse. High people are giggly and funny and layed back on the couch listening to music, where most drunks are rowdy, dangerous and mean. So if getting drunk is okay might as well let them get high.