Legalize Marijuana? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2004, 04:14 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 01:27 PM
Might as well. As a matter of fact why not legalize coke and herion too. Yes they are terrible things, much more dangerous than pot and I don't think anyone should ever take them. But they ARE going to take them. The war on drugs is a multi billion dollar failure.

Has anybody ever noticed the similarities in the gang violence and drive bys in the inner cities of today, and the 1920's mobs and tommy gun shootings? Same thing. If something is illegal, and enough people want it, an underground market will develop, complete with crime and killings. Also, the drugs, like the booze, could be lethal if made wrong. If it were legal, it would be a controlled substance, regulated and inspected. We'd know who got it and how much. Though I do NOT condone drug use, since time has proven people are not going to stop it how about making if safer, and cutting down on the illegal part? If it were legal, think about all the jobs it could create! No, I'm serious. Think about impoverished nations in the world whose ecomomies could profit from this. Marijuana could be grown by poor country folk in the US and get them off welfare. Herion and cocaine grow in many poor countries in central and south American, southeast Asia, and Afghanistan, and a legal trade market for them could boost their gross nation product and help eliminate poverty! The only people hurt by that would be the cartels and the gangs who run it now. Yes, it hurts people's health and productivity. But you are not going to stop people from doing it. So do it right.

Old 05-17-2004, 04:47 PM   #17
War Child

Alcohol, tobacco... physically addictive and hard as hell to kick. Pot addiction is psychological, and keeping it illegal while profiting from the first two (which are much more dangerous in my opinion) is a stand that makes no sense.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:18 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:27 AM
Legalize it. What's the worse that can happen the world is full of calm and relaxed people and the late night delivery businesses make a fortune? I see no harm. It's less physically addictive than caffine and less destructive than tobacco and alcohol. The reasons for it being illegal now are ridiculous.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:11 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
But the extra costs on the public health system will be paid out of all our pockets, I for one do not like subsidising the stupidity of others.
What extra costs are you thinking of exactly? In any case, there are so many other examples of the NHS (or any other public healthcare system) paying to treat people who acquired illnesses or injuries through stupidity. Should we ban alcohol because some people who consume too much alcohol end up needing treatment for liver failure? Should we ban dangerous sports because it's expensive to treat people who get injured while participating in them? Should we force people whose illnesses are caused by obesity to pay for their own treatment since it's their own fault they're overweight? Where do you draw the line?

That aside, I think it should be legalized. It's no more harmful than smoking tobacco or drinking alcohol and nobody's about to criminalize drinkers or smokers, or at least I hope they're not. I agree with what BVS said also. Maybe the late night delivery places should start lobbying for a change in the law. They could join up with store here that sells THE best choc-chip cookies in the world and is even open at 3am to sell them to people who have the munchies. Not that I am in any way speaking from personal experience, you understand, just...rumours I've heard.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:27 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

What extra costs are you thinking of exactly? In any case, there are so many other examples of the NHS (or any other public healthcare system) paying to treat people who acquired illnesses or injuries through stupidity. Should we ban alcohol because some people who consume too much alcohol end up needing treatment for liver failure? Should we ban dangerous sports because it's expensive to treat people who get injured while participating in them? Should we force people whose illnesses are caused by obesity to pay for their own treatment since it's their own fault they're overweight? Where do you draw the line?

While you're on the subject, there would be those who said they didn't want to pay for AIDS treatment for people who acquired it because of unsafe sex or dirty drug needles. Or treatment for AIDS or crack babies. Or illegitimate babies even if they're healthy because the mother might have gotten pregnant in a stupid way? You can take that pretty far. Yeah, where do you draw the line?

And as many have pointed out, people are still going to do drugs whether they are legal or not, so it's not stopping anything.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:45 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:27 PM
On the line of thought being expressed repeatedly in this thread, we might as well ban every substance that is even vaguely 'harmful' on the grounds that it costs the health system. You know, you could live in a shiny happy police state where everything is super efficient. Let's see:

alcohol
tobacco
pot
sugar
any fatty foods whatsoever
salt
meat
unclean thoughts
cars and guns (haha only kidding.)

All banned, cause they're all bad for you, right?

This trend troubles me.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:21 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
On the line of thought being expressed repeatedly in this thread, we might as well ban every substance that is even vaguely 'harmful' on the grounds that it costs the health system. You know, you could live in a shiny happy police state where everything is super efficient. Let's see:

alcohol
tobacco
pot
sugar
any fatty foods whatsoever
salt
meat
unclean thoughts
cars and guns (haha only kidding.)

All banned, cause they're all bad for you, right?

This trend troubles me.
. Thank you.

FizzingWhizzbees and U2Kitten, good points from you as well. .

Angela
Old 05-19-2004, 10:41 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quite good point's Kieran, in my perfect society only monk's would be allowed to have health insurancde. Still I have seen what dope does to a long term user (relative) and it is not pretty (mental health, capacity to work etc). I think that if it were legalised it would be in some way approving its use.

The additional costs that were on my mind were things like increased incidences of schitzophrenia tipping the allready fragile mental health services over the edge, lung cancer and heart diseases not to mention the fact harder drugs would invariably fill the void on the black market left when cannibis becomes legal. I would rather have a kid buying a joint than heroin, we have to have something there to fill the gap.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:48 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

never have i had any form of drug...

i would say legalise everything !!

let the ones who want to have it freely
Old 05-19-2004, 10:52 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:27 AM
I say make it legal. I've never tried a drug in my life (except for GHB but that wasn't my choosing but that's another story all together). Alcohol is harmful and so is smoking cigarettes. Pot wouldn't do any more harm than those two. Hell i'd like to try it once lol
Old 05-19-2004, 08:06 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Well I'm not advocating legalising heroin. Marijuana has some risks I'm sure, thought I know from first hand that NOT everyone who enjoys it occasionally is a pothead, not by any means.

As for lung cancer, tobacco contributes to that too, and it's legal.

And you know, I wouldn't be surprised if car exhaust fumes and the other crud of modern city life contribute a bit as well. We don't ban those things.

Look in the end, to me it's a matter of personal choice. Where do we get off telling people what they can do in their own home?

PS I have no problem at all with banning smoking in public venues and so forth. That's common courtesy to non-smokers. I can always go outside or stay home.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:08 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

People have said many times on this forum that 'alcohol is harmful'. This is very simplistic.

Alcoholism is harmful. Bingeing is harmful. Moderate drinking is not only NOT harmful, but (with wine for example) can be actively good for you.

I just needed to say that.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:29 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:27 AM
I was going to post a more thorough explanation of my view that marijuana should be legalised, but then I read this article, and it stated my views much better than I could. Actually, the article promotes the idea that all currently illegal drugs should be legalised, which does exceed the scope of my original question, but it is an idea with which I also agree.

In the interest of space I will just provide the link to the article.

We're Out of Control On Drugs
Old 05-23-2004, 04:33 AM   #29
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 05:27 AM
what the hell. we're a toxic wasteland anyway.

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
make it legal in vegas on a ten year trial basis and see what happens.

can we get it free from our cocktail waitresses too?