Legal Drugs V Illegal Drugs - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2003, 08:40 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:46 AM
Yes, master.

Please donīt close too many threads though.

Old 02-01-2003, 10:39 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by baker6621
Nothing should be banned. EVER. WE CHOOSE what comes into our bodies. Who the FUCK has the right to tell us what is right and wrong when it is OUR BODIES. We make a decision and that decision can have advantages or disadvantages.

Fuckin sheeps.
I believe your right to pollute your body with whatever you want becomes a societal issue when you end up in the public health center. Or the drugs have an impact on another person.

Old 02-01-2003, 10:52 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Well, nbcrusader, but the body is polluted by lots of other stuff, too. Not only by legal drugs (how many alcoholics end up in the clinics and are a societal issue - I think its part of a civil society to properly deal with those issues), also by the cars we are driving - I donīt drive, so why do others have the right to pollute me?

(I know I should sue them, Iīm just too lazy).

I agree drugs can have an impact on another person. So donīt smoke when youīre pregnant, or when there are children running around your house, I guess. Apart from that, effects? Hm, the legal drug users are known for that, in fact, those drunkards are beating up people and car crashing and stuff.

Donīt see your argument why this should have to do esp. with illegal drugs.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:20 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 01:46 AM
ya come arrest me for something someone i meet before did...haha...

Ya well why dont we tax fatty foods...they hurt the health system!
Old 02-02-2003, 03:32 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:46 PM
I think there is a tendency for extreme strains of moralism to creep into these sort of debates. Obviously at some extreme some 'drug' abuse is a problem that cannot be left unattended. But not every smoker will die (except in so far as we all die at some point). Not every drinker is an alcoholic. Not everyone conforms to media stereotypes.

And that's just the legal drugs. Let's face it, we've all got a vice. It might be nicotine, it might be heroin, it might be working weekends and long nights (Never killed anyone? Tell the Japanese that!).

So, it's a case of who will cast the first stone.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:24 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by baker6621
Nothing should be banned. EVER. WE CHOOSE what comes into our bodies. Who the FUCK has the right to tell us what is right and wrong when it is OUR BODIES. We make a decision and that decision can have advantages or disadvantages.

Fuckin sheeps.
Smoking doesn't only affect you. If you smoke in a public place then you're forcing all the people around you to inhale your smoke when they've made a decision not to smoke.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:33 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Just like when youīre driving a car.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:19 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Well, nbcrusader, but the body is polluted by lots of other stuff, too. Not only by legal drugs (how many alcoholics end up in the clinics and are a societal issue - I think its part of a civil society to properly deal with those issues), also by the cars we are driving - I donīt drive, so why do others have the right to pollute me?

(I know I should sue them, Iīm just too lazy).

I agree drugs can have an impact on another person. So donīt smoke when youīre pregnant, or when there are children running around your house, I guess. Apart from that, effects? Hm, the legal drug users are known for that, in fact, those drunkards are beating up people and car crashing and stuff.

Donīt see your argument why this should have to do esp. with illegal drugs.
I think we both agree that society does have the right to impose limits on personal behavior, whether it is a limit on how fast we can drive, the places where we can smoke or the substances which we can ingest.

The question now is the degree of control we should put on the various activities.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:32 PM   #24
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 09:46 AM
Well imho it would be fair if the taxes on drugs like Alcohol and Tobaco are high enough to raise enough money to pay their costs for society.

Klaus
Old 02-02-2003, 04:39 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:46 AM
Let's see. I'm tired of the "so let's ban alcohol" argument. First off, there are legal limits on alcohol--an age limit, no drinking and driving, etc.

Secondly, there are no health benefits at all with tobacco usage, and even slight usage is harmful.

Third, in contrast, there are substantial health benefits becoming known with light alcohol consumption.

Melon