Lefties Love U2? Not Necessarily... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2004, 05:25 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

You are creating a difficult, if not impossible standard to consistantly live by if you only like artists with matching political leanings.
First, I didn't say "matching," I said "vastly different." There are artists I like who are more liberal than I; there are artists less liberal than I. But vast differences in social/political outlook bother me enough that I choose not to support artists I don't agree with in a major way.

Second, I don't think it does create "a difficult, if not impossible standard." I find I naturally gravitate to artists (not just in music, but in many media actually) who's views tend to be more liberal. I think a person's social/political/religious views do affect how he/she perceives the world around him/her, and I find the work of those who see things in certain ways more appealing to me. So it's really not all that difficult, and it isn't terribly constricting either.

After all...the best artists are liberals anyway!

Old 10-27-2004, 05:29 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
lol this reminds me of a thing the Daily Show did where they interviewed a punk who wasa voting for bush. it was HILARIOUS.
What reasons did he have to vote Bush?

Seriously. Weird.

Last time I wondered about artists is when I learned that this guy.. what was his name? .. this harsh satan-lover dressed in black.. he was very intelligent politically, loved his comments.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:41 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
To me it's strange that U2 would be associated with leftism. They always seemed like a religious good guy type of band to me. Bono's charity work does not seem leftist to me, but humanitarian. As Bono himself says, "I'm a non partisan guy."
Hey hey, I´m a religious good guy type! We´re all religious good guy types! I like the Dixie Shicks *hicks*! I like U2. I read the Bible. The Sermont on the Mount means poverty reduction.

The Ramones liked Reagan? Duh

The funniest comment I ever heard about U2 being leftist or not came from an Irish who lived in Amsterdam: "Bono leftist? Nah come on. This asshole owns half Dublin".
Old 10-27-2004, 06:20 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

After all...the best artists are liberals anyway!
Yeah, so I have to listen to shitty music 'cus I'm a republican then?!
Old 10-27-2004, 06:29 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

What reasons did he have to vote Bush?

Seriously. Weird.

Last time I wondered about artists is when I learned that this guy.. what was his name? .. this harsh satan-lover dressed in black.. he was very intelligent politically, loved his comments.
i don't remember his reasons but his face was painted like a skull. you know, white paint, black around the eyes, etc. i just about died laughing
Old 10-27-2004, 06:47 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I disrespect U2 politically and religiously on alot of levels, but I'm still obsessed with their music.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:50 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
I disrespect U2 politically and religiously on alot of levels, but I'm still obsessed with their music.
in what ways do you disrepect them politically and religiously?
Old 10-27-2004, 06:57 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:36 PM
Shart1780, there is a difference between finding someone elses views disagreeable and disrespecting them - a very important thing to learn.

Anitram I was looking at this article from October the 21st.
Quote:
Why I'm (Slightly) for Bush
by Christopher Hitchens
The election season is always hellish for people who fancy that they live by political principles, because at such a time "politics" becomes, even more usually, a matter of show business and superficial calculation. Ever since 1980, when I bet the liberals of New York that Reagan would win easily (and didn't have to buy my own lunch for months afterward), I have sympathized with the "prisoners' dilemma" that faces liberals and leftists every four years. The shady term "lesser evil" was evolved to deal with this very trap. Should you endorse a Democrat in whom you don't really believe? Is it time for that deep-breath third-party vote, or even angry abstention, of the sort that has tortured some Nation readers ever since they just couldn't take Humphrey over Nixon? This magazine prints columnists who regularly describe the terms of the captivity with more emotion than I can now summon.

Should the electors decide for the President, as I would slightly prefer, the excruciating personality of George Bush strikes me in the light of a second- or third-order consideration. If the worst that is said of him is true--that he is an idiotic and psychically damaged Sabbath-fanatic, with nothing between his large Texan ears--then these things were presumably just as true when he ran against Al Gore, and against nation-building and foreign intervention. It is Bush's conversion from isolationism that impresses me, just as it is the parallel lapse into isolationism on Kerry's part that makes me skeptical. You don't like "smirking"? What about the endless smirks and smarmy hints about the Administration's difficulties, whether genuine or self-imposed? The all-knowing, stupid smirks about the "secular" Saddam, or the innocuousness of prewar Iraq? The sneers about the astonishing success of our forces in Afghanistan, who are now hypocritically praised by many who opposed their initial deployment? This is to say nothing of the paranoid innuendoes I don't have to name that are now part of pseudo-"radical" rumor-mongering and defamation. Whichever candidate wins, I shall live to see these smirks banished, at least.
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i...108&s=hitchens

Now one can see how I was under the impression that he had actually slightly endorsed Bush because there is an ever so slight difference when it comes to this.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:59 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:36 AM
He later endorsed Kerry in Slate.

Flip flopper!
Old 10-27-2004, 07:02 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

in what ways do you disrepect them politically and religiously?
Politically I think they can be way too idealistic. I don't want to get into an argument about issues, but I don't agree with his opinions on war alot of times. Same with the gun control and abortion thing. Plus I just get tired of the whole "Love and peace!! We need to love one another!! Lay down your weapons brother. Where's the love?" stuff. While all that is a nice thought, it's simply unrealistic and annoying after a while. Singers have been singing that since the 60's and it's serving no purpose but to annoy most of us and remind us of pacifist hippies. I do support his cause in Africa, though I don't really like him singing about it.

Religiously, again, I think he's too idealistic. I'm no unitarian, and I don't believe in the "many ways to Heaven" view. The Bible specifically condemns teaching like this, and says only Christ can get you to Heaven, Period. Bono treats fundamentalists as close-minded idiots who are completely intolerant of others. It honestly pisses me off. Oh and I AM willing to argue with people on this issue.

While I love the band for many reasons, I disagree AND disrespect them for others.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:06 PM   #26
War Child

I actually used to lean left, until a few key events. Clinton's scandal, blow jobs in the oval office and nothing but adulations for him. 2000 election and trying to count votes where no indentation had been made and also the Gore people trying to throw out military votes. And now the left seems to think Bush is more evil than our enemy and it is worth dividing the nation by politicizing this war and reveling in it's difficulties just to get their party back in power.

Yeah, I used to lean left when the left had some semblance of respectability. I guess I'm much more liberal in my personal life than in my political views right now, which fits with my admiration of U2 and their faith.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:08 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

well i disagree with you. but i don't disrespect you.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:09 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by iota
And now the left seems to think Bush is more evil than our enemy and it is worth dividing the nation by politicizing this war and reveling in it's difficulties just to get their party back in power.
i don't know any lefty who believes this.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:10 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I don't disrespect U2 as people, there's just a few views they hold that cause me to disrespect them on certain levels.

They're definitely respectable guys. They have good intentions and present themselves well so I have no reason to disrespect them on the whole.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:14 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Yeah, so I have to listen to shitty music 'cus I'm a republican then?!
Yep! It's just the price you have to pay...

And poor shart1780...he's doomed to a lifetime of crappy art and music....