Left Behind the computer game...Christians are to kill based on faith. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #16
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:23 PM
Re: Left Behind the computer game...Christians are to kill based on faith.

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

I see this as worse than the Grand Theft Auto type games because this encourages violence based on religion...far more powerful then some scenario where you go around picking up prostitutes.
Can you elaborate on this a bit more? I'm not really interested in what the windbag fundie groups of america think about this, but why you wrote that this is more powerful than seeking prostitutes to kill them? If you remove all bias, the essence is the same on both games. It's our personal moral scale which declares one worse than the other - something I reckon is more than a little off.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:13 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:23 AM
Re: Re: Left Behind the computer game...Christians are to kill based on faith.

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

Can you elaborate on this a bit more? I'm not really interested in what the windbag fundie groups of america think about this, but why you wrote that this is more powerful than seeking prostitutes to kill them? If you remove all bias, the essence is the same on both games. It's our personal moral scale which declares one worse than the other - something I reckon is more than a little off.
Are you saying there is something wrong with picking up a prostitute?

Old 12-10-2006, 12:11 AM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy

I've read about this....everything about it is just WRONG. The antichrist a son of two gay men, pro abortion, friends with muslims (or "terrorists" as they're now known) jews needing to convert...its just ****** wrong.

Could you imagine the FURORE if an islamic game came out with an islamic army invade the usa and trying to convert christians to the "way and the light" or chopping their heads off if they didn't agree.

(btw i liked GTA! )
why yes, the FUROR!!

excuse me while i find 100 or so videos of Christian fundamentalists lopping off heads of innocent people in..wait for it..REAL LIFE!

while i agree that this video game is definitely just trying to push Christianity into the mainstream, it is the wrong way to go about it for sure

but seriously, they aren't claiming moral superiority, the makers are simply embracing things that are apparently normal, as you all think (i.e. killing innocent people, or in GTA's case, prostitutes)...like they are taking what a majority of people seem to love about mainstream culture and tailor it to Christianity and what is said in Revelation (with some poetic license)

so it's only wrong if Christians do it? that is pretty much the summary of this thread...not a lot of squawking about secular Americans making games about graphic sex and violence..wonder why that is?
Old 12-10-2006, 12:30 AM   #19
Jesus Online

Re: Re: Re: Left Behind the computer game...Christians are to kill based on faith.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Are you saying there is something wrong with picking up a prostitute?
I might be mistaken here, using the services of a prostitute, yes, I think is 'wrong', but that was not my point above.
I was under the impression that prostitutes were killed in GTA, and that people are sought for conversion in this game. In terms of a fully simulated game environment, the purpose of killing characters I find more significant. Religion is really neither here nor there. Call me a bit thick, but I dont get what the general concensus is in here; is it an opposition to the supporters of the new game being fundie windbags, while they condemn others like GTA?

Really, if we are going to be fair, are they not both as insipid as the other? Prostitution is an industry which thrives and promotes the exploitation of women. Religion shapes and attempts to control absolutely everyone. I hardly think one outstrips the other in terms of disgust generation.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:27 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:23 PM
Prostitution doesn't exploit women by definition
Old 12-10-2006, 01:28 AM   #21
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Prostitution doesn't exploit women by definition
It absolutely does, by definition.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:32 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Offering sexual services in exchange for money is a transaction, if thats exploitation then so is every other payed service.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:41 AM   #23
Jesus Online

Oh, what a deluded bubble of ignorance you must live in. You're an embarrassment.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:49 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh heaven forfend, I am obviously defending sex slavery here and the abusive conditions that florish when criminals are running the show.

Prostitution is going to happen whether you like it or not, there is universal demand for sex - given that, making it illegal only dimishes the rights of sex workers by creating a black market.

A junkie whore is a different situation than a high price call girl, I don't think that the second example is by definition exploitative.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:53 AM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Offering sexual services in exchange for money is a transaction, if thats exploitation then so is every other payed service.
If the woman, being of sound mind, offered you her body for money out of her deepest volitional will, then no it would not be exploitation; however, as it is men who own the women (who do not sell their bodies out of their deepest volitional wills) it is all about exploitation.
Of course, it's rather easy to say prostitution isn't exploitation sitting in a nice cozy home.
Seriously, don't ever offer such ignorant dribble. It's vile.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:01 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

There are few things worse than slavery, do not make the mistake of confusing the support for the first instance with that of the second. Waging a moral crusade against prostituion in the same way that it is waged against drugs with tax money is wrong.

Ensuring that exhanges are voluntary is the critical point; in the absence of that it is criminal and abhorent but if it is then then I fail to see anything wrong with it. If prostitution is illegal then there is absolutely no recourse to stop abuse, view it as a situation of harm minimisation.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:04 AM   #27
Refugee

The best way to deal with prostitution is to create and develop an environment in which people are sexually healthy...the religious nuts and their philosophies create an atmosphere for prostitution to flourish. If we weren't so fuckin' repressed....we could all fuck better
Old 12-10-2006, 02:12 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Moral crusaders certainly vote on the issues like sex, drugs and violent video games.

We should be able to distinguish between survival sex and legal prostitution.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:16 AM   #29
Refugee

I don't believe there ever could be such a thing as healthy legal prostitution
Old 12-10-2006, 02:25 AM   #30
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Quote:
Originally posted by nightninja56

why yes, the FUROR!!

excuse me while i find 100 or so videos of Christian fundamentalists lopping off heads of innocent people in..wait for it..REAL LIFE!

while i agree that this video game is definitely just trying to push Christianity into the mainstream, it is the wrong way to go about it for sure

but seriously, they aren't claiming moral superiority, the makers are simply embracing things that are apparently normal, as you all think (i.e. killing innocent people, or in GTA's case, prostitutes)...like they are taking what a majority of people seem to love about mainstream culture and tailor it to Christianity and what is said in Revelation (with some poetic license)

so it's only wrong if Christians do it? that is pretty much the summary of this thread...not a lot of squawking about secular Americans making games about graphic sex and violence..wonder why that is?
thanks for censoring my words, its very cute of you

Why I DONT LIKE about this, is that GTA is a fictional GAME, its like a MOVIE, people don't play it and then go out and kill prostitutes. It may not be the nicest game, but we all know its a game and its based on FICTIONAL stereotypes in society.

This game is based on REAL christian teachings. But my main point is that it is filled with hatred, arrogance and violance, three things i thought a religion is AGAINST. This video game is yes a fictional world, but plays with REAL people (muslims etc) and continues the hartred against types (gay, muslim, jews etc) that is not a FICTIONAL story, but REAL TEACHINGS.

I just think its a pretty fucked up premise for a religion to accept something like this...tolerance and love for thy brother certainly means nothing to fundies!