Lebanese Government Resigns - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2005, 12:06 PM   #46
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:24 PM
We can all cheer these positive events in the world. It's nice to see some attitudes towards Bush "softening". But there are some politicians that set themselves up to benefit by Bush's failure and they will pay the price politically if Bush succeeds, that's all.

As far as victory lap, I don't think Bush has displayed any of that behavior, he's too smart for that. I don't think I was rubbing anything in because I'm not yet sure myself if this will all turn out for the better. If the wrong impression was given, I apologize.

I didn't say "Clinton bad", I was comparing the validity of giving Bush credit for recent ME events to the validity of giving Clinton credit for the 90s economy. I give Clinton credit to the extent that, being an astute politician, he stayed out of the way. For that he does deserve credit.

The "free market" idea operates on natural laws and is no creepier than the law of gravity. That being said, of course there are instances where regulation is needed, we just disagree on how much and when and why

Old 03-04-2005, 12:13 PM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by drhark

The "free market" idea operates on natural laws and is no creepier than the law of gravity. That being said, of course there are instances where regulation is needed, we just disagree on how much and when and why

this is what is creepy. there is no natural law in regards to the free market -- capitalism doesn't just occur naturally, there's an extremely sophistocated system in place that requires constant tweaking and fine tuning and meddling with in order for the thing to even run.

i find it very creepy when people profess faith in free markets, as if they were some kind of religion.

but this isn't a thread about the free market ...

Old 03-04-2005, 04:17 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:24 AM
The entire point of invading Iraq was that you don't have to invade every Arab country that supports terrorism ~ and it is working.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:07 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by drhark
The "free market" idea operates on natural laws and is no creepier than the law of gravity.
This is probably my biggest gripe with supply-side economics. It's grossly arrogant and attempts to make itself a "science," when, really, it is more of a "religion." That is, it's a "faith-based" approach to economics. It also seems to feel that there are no negative repercussions to any of its actions.

I think it's time for a revival of Keynesian capitalism, if anyone remembers it anymore.

Melon
Old 03-05-2005, 07:43 AM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
The entire point of invading Iraq was that you don't have to invade every Arab country that supports terrorism ~ and it is working.

no, the entire point of invading Iraq, as the case was made to the American people, the UN, and the world, was that Saddam's WMDs presented a clear and present danger to citizens living in Western cities -- NYC, DC, London -- across the world, and that the only way to prevent a "mushroom cloud" of death coming from a nuke Saddam sent up the East River or the Thames was an all-out invasion to seize and secure those WMDs. let's not conveniently foget the sales pitch. i would also add that the above assertion is wrong -- while a great benefit migth be that we don't have to invade other Arab countries (and who says we have to invade them to begin with? you assume that invasion is a given and the best way to deal with bad governments), part of the strategy of putting troops in Iraq, in the middle of the middle east, would be to faciliate the invasion of other countries in the neighborhood like Syria or Iran.