Lazy American who Finally Got Exercise or Real injuries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
http://videogames.yahoo.com/newsarticle?eid=494455&page=0
WSJ: First cases of "Wii Elbow" reported
Aerobic activity with motion-sensing controller causing aches, pains; Nintendo urges exercise to counteract.
By Tim Surette
12:29 pm PST November 27, 2006

Nintendo is seeking to lead the charge against the notion that all gamers are unfit couch potatoes. Nationwide sellouts of the Wii indicate that gamers are supporting that notion, and many have been very vocal about the system's motion-sensitive controller as being a revolution in gaming. The problem is that it appears that after the first week of the console's release, many of those gamers are running out of breath.

The Wall Street Journal says that "Wii elbow" and other Wii-related physical issues may be the first widespread gaming-related injuries since "Nintendo thumb," the condition that ran rampant following the introduction of the NES in the '80s and the SNES in the '90s.

The newspaper spoke with several new Wii owners who were experiencing aches and pains from repeated use of the console. A 12-year-old from Kentucky reported numbness in her right arm after mimicking the motions of bowling and boxing in Wii Sports; a computer programmer in Minnesota, who admits to being "not very active," complained of sore shoulders; and a man in Indiana says he was "soaking wet with sweat, head to toe" after Wii Boxing.

Nintendo vice president of marketing Perrin Kaplan put it plainly. "[The Wii] was not meant to be a Jenny Craig supplement," she told the WSJ. "If people are finding themselves sore, they may need to exercise more."

I think it's just the normal pains people get when they dont do exercise for a while and the joints and muscles they never or hardly used got a work out.

Lazy Americans (I mean US Citizens)

Actually, I'd say it's not necessarily that they need to exercise more in order to not feel sore, but they need to stretch properly before and after any exercise, including the gaming if they really are moving around a lot. No runner would do a 5K without stretching and warm-up, I'd never even start simple tumbling without some stretches.

and a man in Indiana says he was "soaking wet with sweat, head to toe" after Wii Boxing.

Sorry, but what was he thinking would happen if he simulated a boxing fight?
That can't be sincere.

what a bunch of whimps, anybody remember this?

NES%20powerpad.jpg

trying to out run Cheetah in a 100 meter dash? now THAT was a work out

Chizip said:

NES%20powerpad.jpg

OMGGGGGGG.

No one remembers that in my circle of friends but I distinctly remember going to a neighbor's house and racing with her. :rockon:

Chizip said:

NES%20powerpad.jpg

Getting the Nintendo and the Power Pad was one of the best Christmas mornings EVER. :love:

Ya Power Pad rocked.

I think there was also Pac Man finger/elbow/shoulder back in the day, which was pretty impressive because you had to also pay a quarter, unlike the home games.

A 12-year-old from Kentucky reported numbness in her right arm after mimicking the motions of bowling and boxing in Wii Sports

This is probably the result of mild carpal tunnel syndrome, so I wouldn't say that all of these claims are from people who are just out of shape.

You don't get carpal tunnel in the 2 weeks that this system has been out. Also, it wouldn't cause numbness it the arm - it would be effecting the hand mainly.

Back
Top Bottom