Law would ban iPods when crossing street - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:19 PM
it seems as if common sense is becoming an enemy of the state here in new york.

at least it's taken away from the stupid LIRR gap debate.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:19 PM
I bet it would be wicked easy to mug somebody listening to headphones...you could creep right up on them & BOOM!

Seriously, I tend to hit pause when I cross the street. I've got one eye & I've never been nailed, you'd think the 2-eyed folks out there would have a leg up.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Based on the logic of the lawmakers, should deaf people be banned from crossing the street?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

This is going too far. I don't oppose helmet and seatbelt laws, but accidents can happen to riders and the helmet/seatbelt helps prevent serious injury. The difference here is that an accident crossing the street will not be mitigated by lack of an iPod. The rationale for the law is different - that a small number of people are too stupid to cross the street while listening to music (or talking on cell phones) - but that is not what law is for.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #20
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:19 AM
"If you can't afford to replace it, then insure it." It's a sort of motto for me.

Does this law mean jaywalkers, though? Or is it actually for people crossing at lights or zebra crossings? At lights and so on it's silly, as it would mean being hit means someone hasn't stopped for their red light and whether you are listening to an ipod, or moonwalking naked except for a US flag wrapped around you, is a little irrelevent.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
[Bmoonwalking naked except for a US flag wrapped around you, is a little irrelevent. [/B]
Now, that would be a distraction!

The whole thing seems pretty silly. It's ultimately up the individual to look after their own level of awareness. I do a lot of walking while listening to music, but I always turn it down when moving across the street. It might seem funny, but I find that I can actually be more aware of my surroundings while listening to music at a reasonable level.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:56 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
When I lived in NYC, back before iPods, I never left my apt without my Walkman. Though I thought I was pretty aware of my surroundings when wearing headphones, on two occasions I narrowly missed getting hit by a bus by a stranger's hands pulling me out of the way. Scary stuff. If anyone had ever warned me that that could happen, I would have laughed and said, "Puh-lease, I'm not stupid, I look before I cross, the volume's not that high, of course I'd hear the horns," blah blah blah, and both times it was very shocking. I could not believe I didn't know I'd stepped off the curb in front of an oncoming bus. Thank God for the kindness of strangers. Don't know how I feel about this law, though. It is a bit like talking on your cell phone while driving.
I have noticed when I put on headphones that my focus immediately turns inward and I find it very hard to pay attention to my surroundings. While this is handy in some situations, it's also very disconcerting and most likely dangerous in others. So I don't ever wear them when I need to be aware of what's around me.

I've also had people with headphones (or ear-buds) step right out in front of me several times when I was driving and had the right of way. Some were so into what they were hearing and unaware of their surroundings they never so much as blinked even when I screeched to a halt and honked. Horrible feeling to almost squish someone.

But I don't think common sense can be legislated, so if someone really wants to risk their life to hear a song, who am I to say he/she can't?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:46 AM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

lets get rid of neon light advertisements, too... they can be distracting while walking.

and the news ticker and giant TV in times square... how am i expected to pay attention when crossing the street and check my stocks as they wrap around a building at the same time? i think they should turn the news ticker off while i cross the street, just to be safe.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
lets get rid of neon light advertisements, too... they can be distracting while walking.

and the news ticker and giant TV in times square... how am i expected to pay attention when crossing the street and check my stocks as they wrap around a building at the same time? i think they should turn the news ticker off while i cross the street, just to be safe.
But keep the "LIVE LIVE LIVE NUDE NUDE NUDE" signs...though they're more distracting than any iPod
Old 02-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #25
The Fly

Local Time: 08:19 PM
This is just another idea to create revenue for the city.Just like all the fake parking tickets or wanting bicyclist to pay for a license.They just dream up ways to bleed the public.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan

But keep the "LIVE LIVE LIVE NUDE NUDE NUDE" signs...though they're more distracting than any iPod
come on... rudy sent those signs to brooklyn 10+ years ago. keep up with the times

Quote:
Originally posted by u2fan628
This is just another idea to create revenue for the city.Just like all the fake parking tickets or wanting bicyclist to pay for a license.They just dream up ways to bleed the public.
this is actually suggested for a state wide law, not new york city... so you won't be able to walk across wellwood or sunrise with your iPod on, either.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:13 PM   #27
The Fly

Local Time: 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

come on... rudy sent those signs to brooklyn 10+ years ago. keep up with the times

this is actually suggested for a state wide law, not new york city... so you won't be able to walk across wellwood or sunrise with your iP od on, either.
I wouldn't walk across Sunrise without one!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

i wouldn't walk across sunrise, period.