Laura Bush Criticized For Wearing Muslim Headscarf - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 10-29-2007, 04:18 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Hinder
What the heck's up with American insistence that our culture is the only culture worth respecting?
Thank you. I hear Americans talk all the time about how people who come here should learn our ways of life and respect our culture, so what exactly is the problem with Laura returning the favor?

I'm no fan of that look, either, I personally couldn't stand being dressed like that every day, but as of now, that is the way things are where these people live, so.... I don't see where Laura is in the wrong here, either. I think it's good that she didn't alienate them-right now, that's really the last thing we need.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 03:02 PM
Originally posted by yolland

Ugh. Let me guess, was this Michael Goldfarb?

Shmata is NOT Yiddish for headscarf--that would be tichel. Shmata means 'rag' and like the English word, can mean either something you wipe the floor with, or a term of strong disparagement of someone's clothes. Whoever wrote that was just looking for a way to say "ragheads" while hiding behind the fact that most of their readers won't know any better than to take their word that it means 'headscarf.'
Yes, someone quoted him in the comments about this story. I don't know who he is but I assumed he wrote the Weekly Standard article criticizing Mrs. Bush.

I knew that word Shmata wasn't appropriate too, I have always heard it in sort of a pejorative sense.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 PM   #18
War Child
Local Time: 03:02 PM
I'm not a supporter of George Bush at all, but I like Laura Bush, and this really disgusts me. There is absolutely nothing wrong with her wearing the headscarf; she was only paying her respects by wearing it.

Some people really need to get their priorities straight.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #19
love, blood, life
I've been trying to think of something to respond to this stupid tidbit.

The people that are critizing her obviously do not understand or have respect of another ones culture. Instead of beating on Laura Bush, take some action and maybe help these women become equals in their respective countries.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:15 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
This criticism is so inane, there is no point in responding to it.

Wearing a little head scarf as an accessory is hardly covering up one's body and face entirely in a burqa. There is such a thing as cultural sensitivity and being respectful of your hosts. For example, say if someone from a nudist colony visits your house, they may choose to wear clothing that covers parts of their body that they personally don't have any issues showing but they realize that you might. That's all. Heck, if you try to visit the Vatican and you're a woman with bare shoulders, they'll have you put on a shawl or a cardigan or something. If you're a man and you're wearing shorts to visit the King's Palace in Bangkok, they'll ask you to wear long trousers to cover your legs. Different modesty norms for different places within reason.

I've worn head scarves before and I consider myself a feminist. When you're trying to be diplomatic and get people on your side as friends so that you can then have a rational discussion and convince them to change some things, it's usually best to approach the venture in a non-antagonistic and friendly manner. Showing respect for the culture of the person you want to influence is just commonsense. Or at least it seems that way to me, but then again I've actually been outside of the U.S. It seems that most of the talking heads that spend their days spewing on TV and radio haven't even been outside their front yard.
"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono

Old 10-31-2007, 09:08 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 07:02 PM
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
The Magic Kingdom is a happy place where women are liberated by not having to be subjegated under objectification baed on their look

to muttawa

anthropocentric God.

to the House of Saud and it's foreign enablers.
Saudi Arabia is Wahhabi country. Its brand of Islam is not practiced in any other Muslim country. Books denouncing Wahhabism have been published in Istanbul. I will agree, the House of Saud are not very likeable people. But they have good people in it, like the princess who was the main character in Jean Sasson's "Princess" books.