Last Night's Debate and the Dread Scott case - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2004, 07:17 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:47 AM
Thanks meegannie, someone passed me the links too, and I read them, and I am sorry that I can't observe their mannerisms or speech nuances, cos that would inform me a lot instead of merely their words. Too bad for me. Have a nice day.

foray

Old 10-11-2004, 05:49 AM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:47 PM
Thanks Diane! Very interesting indeed. It sure would explain why he brought it up to begin with, which would otherwise seem like a huge flub!

SD

Old 10-11-2004, 03:00 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by foray
Do you have links to all, or some, of the transcripts for the debate? I've been looking but all I have found are the veep ones, and I don't have tv. Thanks anyone.

foray
all three of the debates are on apple's itunes music store, available as free downloads. you can listen to GW in all his glory..over and over again!
Old 10-11-2004, 03:07 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

all three of the debates are on apple's itunes music store, available as free downloads. you can listen to GW in all his glory..over and over again!
heaven help us!
Old 10-11-2004, 03:14 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diane L
"The reasoning in Dred Scott and Roe v. Wade is nearly identical. In both cases the Court stripped all rights from a class of human beings and reduced them to nothing more than the property of others. Compare the arguments the Court used to justify slavery and abortion. Clearly, in the Court's eyes, unborn children are now the same "beings of an inferior order" that the justices considered Blacks to be over a century ago."
Well, that seems like an interesting issue to discuss....
Old 10-11-2004, 03:16 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

i try to avoid abortion arguments as often as possible. normally i love to argue, but people get way to angry and overheated about it that i just get turned off.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:20 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

heaven help us!

abortion is a touchy subject. i don't think it is as black/white as the one side makes it, nor as grey as the other side makes it. very complicated indeed.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:21 PM   #23
Babyface

Agreed......
Old 10-11-2004, 05:40 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:47 PM

the President demonstrates his
"No Child Left Behind" program.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:45 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

I am unsure why abortion is even brought up in the debates.

It is an issue which is divisive and people's minds are made up one way or another. There is no way on God's green earth I'd ever vote for Bush based on this issue, and I am sure there are people who would never vote for Kerry for similar reasons. There is nothing here except shameless pandering.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:20 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I am unsure why abortion is even brought up in the debates.

It is an issue which is divisive and people's minds are made up one way or another. There is no way on God's green earth I'd ever vote for Bush based on this issue, and I am sure there are people who would never vote for Kerry for similar reasons. There is nothing here except shameless pandering.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:41 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Diane L
Sherry,

Dailykos.com has a diary on its site that discusses this correlation. The diarist says that if you Google the terms "Dred Scott" and "abortion," you get the links for anti-abortion websites that have linked the two.

Here is one of the explanations from such a site as reprinted by the dailykos.com diarist:

"The reasoning in Dred Scott and Roe v. Wade is nearly identical. In both cases the Court stripped all rights from a class of human beings and reduced them to nothing more than the property of others. Compare the arguments the Court used to justify slavery and abortion. Clearly, in the Court's eyes, unborn children are now the same "beings of an inferior order" that the justices considered Blacks to be over a century ago."

You can find the full diary at www.dailykos.com It is to the right of the home page, listed under Recent Diaries.

Diane L.
I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that that's pretty much what the Supreme Court declared in Roe v. Wade -- they declared that constitutional protection of a woman's rights trumped a first-trimester fetus but not a third-trimester fetus without bothering to explain why.

I have always thought that Roe v. Wade should be overturned because of its poor foundation and that the question should be returned to the states. We might have states where abortion is completely legal and states where it's illegal except in "hard cases". If 75% of people in 75% of states agree, we might have a constitutional amendment. And so forth.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:05 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

The main reason I am pro-choice is because if it were to become illegal again, women would STILL get back-alley illegal abortions. this not only would destroy the fetus, but the woman's life would also be in great danger. women who get abortions today seem to me would be desperate to get an illegal abortion, which is SO deadly. i have conflicts with myself over this issue, but the safety for the woman is my main concern.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:34 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
The main reason I am pro-choice is because if it were to become illegal again, women would STILL get back-alley illegal abortions. this not only would destroy the fetus, but the woman's life would also be in great danger. women who get abortions today seem to me would be desperate to get an illegal abortion, which is SO deadly. i have conflicts with myself over this issue, but the safety for the woman is my main concern.
So the fetus's right to live, if it exists, is not inviolate?

If the fetus has an absolute right to live, as born children do, then the government is obligated to protect this right, regardless of the policy consequences (deadly back-alley abortions, poverty, etc). To draw an analogy with slavery, the constitutional abolition of slavery created a lot of social upheaval in the United States, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the right thing to do.

If the fetus does not have an absolute right to live, then there's no problem. However, it seems like you're arriving at this statement backwards by arguing from its consequences. I don't think it's such a good idea to treat questions about fundamental rights this way. If the fetus doesn't have such a right, that fact needs to be established first.

Just my 1/20th of one cent's worth.