laptops instead of books? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 03-26-2004, 02:13 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 08:33 PM
When I picked my kids up at their school on Wednesday, a boy was throwing a very large text book up into a tree to try and dislodge his lunch bag.

I don't ever want to see my kids throwing a thinkpad up into a tree to retrieve anything.......

Old 03-26-2004, 03:47 AM   #17
Jesus Online
Local Time: 03:33 PM
Since when are laptops that much lighter. A laptop bag is awkward andx heavy and not at all useful for carrying anything else in. So now kids will have two bags to lug around all day. The cost of maintaining these computers will eventually outweigh the initial reduction in setting this system up. Theft and loss will become a major pain in the arse. So will the very nature of never having a totally reliable system running on these computers, doesn't matter what OS you are on, all computers crash at some stage and everyone has lost information at one point. Then there is the OH&S side of things. Computer usage in the workplace is currently the leading cause of workplace injury. I hope the school district is prepared to deal with the consequences of 8+ hour usage and the effects on the students.

Still, I guess this has all been considered. Kids are pandered to enough anyway. Whats a bit more. Back in MY day, we had to walk barefoot 8 miles each way in 6 feet of snow, with wooden poles across our shoulders and used housebricks to even the load to even GET to school. School being one shoddy slap-clad wooden structure with no running water or electricity, and not even a roof after a cyclone came thorugh and blew it off.

But give these kids laptops. They deserve it.

<a href= target=_blank></a>
Old 03-26-2004, 08:14 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 12:33 AM
It's not really about repairing and maintaining a laptop - they are essentially machines with a very short lifespan.

I will give you an example - I have an excellent Toshiba, but if my screen were to crack, it's a $1000 repair, which then makes you wonder why not just put in another 1000 and get a brand new one? The average life of a laptop is about 3-4 years, at which point it becomes obsolete.

For universities, on a 3-4 year degree, it seems like a sound investment. And if you can put in a little bit of extra money, you don't have to end up with something hugely heavy and bulky. I love mine.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:21 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 04:33 AM
I cannot imagine laptops or computers completely replacing books. It might sound like a "turf" argument coming from a library worker, but, I have used both the Internet and regular books for research. Most recently I did a research project on the Turks for my historical re-enactment society for a class I did at a Middle Eastern event last year, and I'm using it again in June. I would have been lost if it hadn't been for a great book on the Ottoman Empire I checked out of the library, despite the fact that I also worked from some terrific Turkish sites.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:23 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 09:33 PM
Also, a obsolete computer is considered hazardous waste material, and one cannot just dump it in a trash.

Whereas on the other hand, books can be recycled more easily.