Kyoto protest beaten back by inflamed petrol traders - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:12 PM
Kyoto protest beaten back by inflamed petrol traders

Quote:
"When 35 Greenpeace protesters stormed the International Petroleum Exchange (IPE) yesterday they had planned the operation in great detail. What they were not prepared for was the post-prandial aggression of oil traders who kicked and punched them back on to the pavement. "We bit off more than we could chew. They were just Cockney barrow boy spivs. Total thugs," one protester said, rubbing his bruised skull. "I've never seen anyone less amenable to listening to our point of view." Another said: "I took on a Texan Swat team at Esso last year and they were angels compared with this lot." Behind him, on the balcony of the pub opposite the IPE, a bleary-eyed trader, pint in hand, yelled: "Sod off, Swampy."

Greenpeace had hoped to paralyse oil trading at the exchange in the City near Tower Bridge on the day that the Kyoto Protocol came into force. "The Kyoto Protocol has modest aims to improve the climate and we need huge aims," a spokesman said. Protesters conceded that mounting the operation after lunch may not have been the best plan. "The violence was instant," Jon Beresford, 39, an electrical engineer from Nottingham, said. "They grabbed us and started kicking and punching. Then when we were on the floor they tried to push huge filing cabinets on top of us to crush us." When a trader left the building shortly before 2pm, using a security swipe card, a protester dropped some coins on the floor and, as he bent down to pick them up, put his boot in the door to keep it open.

Two minutes later, three Greenpeace vans pulled up and another 30 protesters leapt out and were let in by the others. They made their way to the trading floor, blowing whistles and sounding fog horns, encountering little resistance from security guards. Rape alarms were tied to helium balloons to float to the ceiling and create noise out of reach. The IPE conducts "open outcry" trading where deals are shouted across the pit. By making so much noise, the protesters hoped to paralyse trading. But they were set upon by traders, most of whom were under the age of 25. "They were kicking and punching men and women indiscriminately," a photographer said. "It was really ugly, but Greenpeace did not fight back." Mr Beresford said: "They followed the guys into the lobby and kept kicking and punching them there. They literally kicked them on to the pavement."
link

Oh this one is bloody brilliant, harrassment of innocent people and to breaking the law got the proper response - kicking their arses to the curb ~ proving once and for all that whistles, fog horns and rape alarms tied to baloons are not enough to cower your enemy into submission.

These eco-thugs finally got the response that they deserve when they storm into a place of business to start some shit. I raise my glass to the traders who who had the courage and decency to get rid of those thugs.

/I am against going out and beating up environmentalists ~ but I am very much for a proactive response to thugs who break into a place of business to harass workers.

Old 02-18-2005, 04:47 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:12 AM
Eco-thugs? People who stand up for their point of view.

Wanderer, how much of a scientist are you exactly?

Do you know anything about global warming?

Old 02-18-2005, 04:50 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Eco-thugs? People who stand up for their point of view.

Wanderer, how much of a scientist are you exactly?

Do you know anything about global warming?
My sentiments exactly.

And I'm so glad that violence is being so celebrated these days.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

How is this about global warming ~ for the record I am quite open to the concept of human contribution to climate change, although Kyoto will not adress it. ~ this is about this style of "protest" that is barging their way into a place of business to harass innocent people, prevent them from going about their jobs and often destroying private property without concequence.

There are many ways to get your message across but actions like these where "protestors" break into private property and begin abusing workers with the intention to shut down trading to cause financial loss are closer to those brutes than people standing up to present their point of view.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:56 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:12 AM
It seems as if Greenpeace's violence is celebrated. They got a dose of what they dish out.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:59 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
It seems as if Greenpeace's violence is celebrated. They got a dose of what they dish out.
Funny I didn't see where they hit someone first.

But I guess it was just a pre-emptive strike.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:04 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Strange that self-proclaimed U2 fans use any opportunity to slag off Greenpeace. Seems they don't know much about U2, considering that U2 have repeatedly expressed support for Greenpeace.

I guess some people are selective "fans".
Old 02-18-2005, 05:10 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Funny I didn't see where they hit someone first.

But I guess it was just a pre-emptive strike.
Maybe this part will help:

Quote:
35 Greenpeace protesters stormed
Old 02-18-2005, 05:11 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Strange that self-proclaimed U2 fans use any opportunity to slag off Greenpeace. Seems they don't know much about U2, considering that U2 have repeatedly expressed support for Greenpeace.

I guess some people are selective "fans".
Sorry, but U2 fans can think for themselves.

And still be fans.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:13 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Maybe this part will help:

35 Greenpeace protesters stormed

Stormed = hit?
Old 02-18-2005, 05:14 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
How is this about global warming ~ for the record I am quite open to the concept of human contribution to climate change, although Kyoto will not adress it. ~ this is about this style of "protest" that is barging their way into a place of business to harass innocent people, prevent them from going about their jobs and often destroying private property without concequence.

There are many ways to get your message across but actions like these where "protestors" break into private property and begin abusing workers with the intention to shut down trading to cause financial loss are closer to those brutes than people standing up to present their point of view.
Ok so how much do you know about global warming? My dad was a meteorologist, and he knew something about it, and he was worried, big time.

I worry about the future, I really do.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:17 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

I am not against Greenpeace per se but the actions of trespassing and harassing people in their place of business who are just earning a living are wrong and I am very much against it.

The horns and rape alarms make a lot of nosie which disrupts the trading floor ~ that could make traders understandably irate considering that large sums of money are on the line.

I am not an expert about global warming and I do not claim to be - I am a second year uni student studying science, I understand that by burning fossil fuels we are taking CO2 out of the carbon sinks like coal deposits and it is going into the atmosphere, that the ammount of CO2 in the atmosphere has increased significantly over the last hundred years and that carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas will trap more heat thus altering global weather patterns creating climate change that will have both negative and positive concequences. I also know that throughout the history of the planet that there has been more CO2 in the atmosphere, that there were significant climate changes throughout the earths history right up till the little ice age. There are many areas where more study needs to be done ~ those billions of dollars that could go into Kyoto would be much better spent solving issues of poverty and disease.

I also say that Kyoto will not solve the problems because it still allows nations to increase their quota of CO2, that the entire idea of carbon trading seems like an artificial market that may not operate the way that it should in theory and that in the long term the only solution will be even harsher treaties with strong penalties for abusing nations.

And all of this overlooks the more obvious source of energy that doesn't produce any CO2 ~ nuclear power. Use nuclear power for energy to produce hydrogen for fuel ~ the waste products are just water vapour and radioactive waste which can be buried out in the middle of Central Australia which is both isolated and geologically stable.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:22 PM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I am not against Greenpeace per se but the actions of trespassing and harassing people in their place of business ...
So be it. If it's truly trespassing then call the police, don't beat them up. What is this high school?
Old 02-18-2005, 05:23 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh, boo hoo hoo. Poor little traders, I guess they should go home to their mommies and daddies.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:25 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Wanderer, what is your specific branch of science, and to what extent have you studied the issue of global warming?

I think it's important you clarify, in order that the rest of us can make a fair and balanced judgement.