Kramer Unleashes Racist Tirade - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2006, 12:08 AM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:08 PM
What a idiot.

Old 11-25-2006, 03:54 AM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

Do you think lack of social experience with those groups might have something to do with it?
Actually, I think it's the opposite. It's being around the different groups for so long that seems to have engendered the prejudice. It's kind of like working through a second, and much more deep-seated ethnocentricism that comes after the initial culture shock has worn off. It comes out of THINKING you "know" or "understand" the ins and outs of another culture, but in reality that "knowledge" or "understanding" is still viewed through my own cultural lenses. It's the kind of thing where you say "Oh, I know how these people work." What makes it all the more tricky is that it's based to a degree on "experience." Perhaps you've been let down multiple times by the rampant inefficiencies of the local government or it seems that every indigenous person you know has a government job and pretty soon you start to feel you've got them "figured out" and prejudices and stereotypes begin to harden. It's no coincidence that the "negative" aspects of the culture are what you "learn" and so after awhile, when something bad happens it's easy to find yourself saying, "Those damn (you fill in the blank)."

And the irony is that I have good friends in those cultural groups and I tend to give them a "pass' while still blanketing "everyone" else in the ethnic group with same prejudices. This is, I think, what happened with my white friends when I was growing up. When they'd go off on "n-ggrs", they'd always have to add the disclaimer. . "Oh, but not you Sean."

I've often joked that years overseas tends to make you scornful of the different ethnic groups you live with (the "colonial" mentality I call it) and at the same time scornful of all the close-minded, culturally unexposed Americans back home, which leaves you quite a misanthrope!

Obviously, I hope that being aware of all this helps me combat my own racist tendencies that much better.

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
That must be a pretty discomfiting feeling--I can sort of, very vaguely, relate to it but not much. Knowing that someone is trying unnaturally hard to like you for any other reason than that they just do like you--not a good feeling.
I don't think it was so much that they were friends with me BECAUSE of my race. It's just that they were able to use their friendship with me to prove (often to me after some inappropriate comment) that they weren't racist.

The whole "I'm not a racist" thing can be a bit worrisome because often what's implied in that statement is the follow up: "It's not racism. I'm just telling the 'truth.'"

Old 11-27-2006, 12:15 PM   #93
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
tmz.com

Did Michael Richards attack the Jews? Two Los Angeles residents have come forward and said that's exactly what happened last Spring at L.A. comedy club, The Improv.

Carol Oschin and J.P. Fillet say they were at The Improv on April 22 when Richards took the stage. They say that in the middle of Richards' skit, a man in the audience said something to the comedian, when Richards allegedly launched into an anti-Semitic rant. According to Oschin, Richards screamed at the audience member, "You fucking Jew. You people are the cause of Jesus dying."

Oschin says the rant continued and Richards stormed off the stage. Oschin and Fillet say that, at first, they thought Richards' tirade was part of his act, but claim that it quickly became apparent it was not.

Richards' publicist, Howard Rubenstein, confirmed to TMZ that Richards did make derogatory comments about Jews, but says it was part of his act. Rubenstein says Richards told him, "I'm not anti-Semitic. I was playing a role and poking fun at the rednecks."

http://us.video.aol.com/video.index....pmmsid=1775870
if this is, indeed, true, then it sounds as if this is all part of richards' act when he is heckled, and that he's simply just not very good.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:14 PM   #94
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:08 PM
and of course, we all know how the media jumps all over someone when they're down.

i heard richards actually kills babies and eats their mothers, guys.

oh, and i bet he hates midgets too. you could tell by the way he was looking at micky in those episodes that he had something against him cause of his height or lackthereof.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #95
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Sticks and stones
Old 11-27-2006, 06:00 PM   #96
She's the One

Local Time: 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Sticks and stones
Easy to say when you're not the one being threatened with lynching.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:08 PM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:08 PM
But it's also right that you shouldn't just believe every single word said in the media.

People often come up stating something that's not true, and media jumps on it to make some more money out of it.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #98
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
But it's also right that you shouldn't just believe every single word said in the media.

People often come up stating something that's not true, and media jumps on it to make some more money out of it.
Did you see the tape?
Old 11-27-2006, 07:46 PM   #99
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Did you see the tape?
Yeah, I mean it's not like this didn't happen. It did.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:02 PM   #100
ONE
love, blood, life

I saw the tape, and I still think my wife may be on to something. There is a moment where he breaks out of his tirade....Where it seems that he is in character. He gets heckled again, and then loses it...He also seems shocked that people are leaving, which makes me think even more, that at the start of it, he was in character mode.

Still, he was wrong. There was no excuse for it.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:33 PM   #101
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I saw the tape, and I still think my wife may be on to something. There is a moment where he breaks out of his tirade....Where it seems that he is in character. He gets heckled again, and then loses it...He also seems shocked that people are leaving, which makes me think even more, that at the start of it, he was in character mode.
I think you're right. He was trying to be with-it, like the kids, but it just went horribly wrong. Things tend to go that way when you have limited talent.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:45 PM   #102
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

What's the not true part? Did someone dub the words over the video?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:24 AM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Sticks and stones
Agreed. Blown completely out of proportion.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:59 AM   #104
ONE
love, blood, life

i reckon there's dirt on all of you, and could EASILY be exposed if the cameras were on you as much as they're on celebrities.

people see stories like this and they jump on it because it makes them feel better about themselves. "oh, at least I'M not like that!"

bullshit.

you might not be a racist, but the way people go on and on about this (the fucking winnipeg sun of all newspapers decided to do their feature editorial on this, tell me this isn't overblown) tells me they're not interested in racism itself but rather the fact they get to fling shit at someone new.

it's possible for one to be truly sorry for something, you know.

no matter how horrible the crime or offence, it IS possible the instigator feels complete remorse.

... but then again, it wouldn't appear the lot of you give a shit.

your hands are clean of all that's wrong.

none of this makes what he said right, however, but the mob mentality is ridiculous.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:29 AM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:08 AM
Yes I share your concern Zoomerang96. Fairly clearly neither of us supports racism, but the sheer spectacle is over the top at this point.

As I think I said on an earlier page (ha!), even if Richards was entirely insincere in going on television to apologise, he nonetheless did apologise. Appearances have been preserved.