Kramer Unleashes Racist Tirade - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2006, 03:55 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:45 AM
Upon further review (ie I watched the video again), I've concluded that he's coked out of his tree. You can tell he's clearly tweaked out.

This is so bizarre...

Old 11-21-2006, 04:13 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:45 PM

I'm thinking the initial comments that set it off weren't just "my friend doesn't think you're funny". No way does one go beserk like that for almost 3 minutes just over that. (watch the you tube video)

Not that being drunk/drugged up is an excuse (they say being drunk just amplifies your supressed self), but I'm hoping this was temporarily insanity and that this was not him talking with a straight mind.
More than that particular word, for me the worst part was that "hanging up from a tree with a fork" comment.

Speaking of that word though, I have seen black people use it on TV, movies etc... as a non American I always thought that it was basically off-limits, ever, for anyone. (also on TV/movies, black women who are friends using "bitch" with each other in a non-derogatory manner)

Can a word be twisted, and in certain context, released from its former meaning and baggage?

Old 11-21-2006, 05:30 PM   #63
Refugee

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Why does the video only start when Richards begins his racist attacks?! Did they only start filming then or did they intentionally cut out the two hecklers comments?
Old 11-21-2006, 05:32 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
the problem with video is that it doesn't show what happened before and/or after the video occured. we don't know what was said to set richards off. not that it's an excuse... there is no excuse. but we should be holding everyone responsible for their actions, not just the celebrity.

as far as him being a racist, on how the things wouldn't have come out if he wasn't a racist, etc. etc. i'm not sure i neccesarily believe that. we all have our inner demons, and different situations in our lifes bring out things that we would normally never think possible.
I can't see any member of U2 doing that at a show, no matter what is said.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

That's right. In Osaka Bono showed a better way to get rid of people that disturb other people. And he didn't get into anything discriminating.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:51 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

Could you see Michael Richards saying what he said prior to friday night? Just because we don't see people as having it in them to say such things, doesn't mean that they're incapable of saying such things.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

Could you see Michael Richards saying what he said prior to friday night? Just because we don't see people as having it in them to say such things, doesn't mean that they're incapable of saying such things.
I haven't seen him before outside of Seinfeld, so I can't say either way. It's not like he was in physical danger and flipped out or something.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:25 PM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life

Hvae you seen the apology on Letterman. I felt it sincere. I felt he was torturing himself over it.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:22 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I think he just regrets that his career is over due to him being a racist. He was not high nor drunk and even if he was that is no excuses for saying such hateful and ignorant things. Period.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Carmelu2fan
I think he just regrets that his career is over due to him being a racist. He was not high nor drunk and even if he was that is no excuses for saying such hateful and ignorant things. Period.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:38 PM   #71
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Hvae you seen the apology on Letterman. I felt it sincere. I felt he was torturing himself over it.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:04 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Carmelu2fan
If OJ can survive, so can he.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:35 PM   #73
The Male

Local Time: 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jonnytakeawalk
Why does the video only start when Richards begins his racist attacks?! Did they only start filming then or did they intentionally cut out the two hecklers comments?
I know! I love how they chopped it up to make him look bad. (what he did was still ridiculous, however)
Old 11-21-2006, 10:58 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't know. . .

For some reason I just haven't been able to get as worked up with outrage over this incident as I should.

After all, I'm a black man who grew up in the southern United States. . . I've experienced my share of racial prejudice and hate. You'd think me of all people would be ready to crucify Richards.

And yet I'm not. . .

I'm not sure why but it could be because:

A). Having grown up around a lot of people who were racist but didn't think they were, who tried mightly to show that they were NOT prejudiced (usually by being friends with an "accessible" black guy like me sufficed), I guess I understand that not all racists are "created equal." A lot of racism is buried pretty deeply. . .the person himself may not even really he has it until something something sets him off and then suddenly it's not about a guy heckling him from the audience, it's about a BLACK guy heckling him from the audience. I think this may be what happened to Michael Richards.

B)I really do believe that the vast majority of people have some sort of racial prejudice. I know I have it (I'm not going to say against which racial groups but suffice it to say that after having lived overseas for close to 10 years I'm finding, to my horror, prejudiced thinking cropping up against some of the ethnic groups where I live) I don't believe that means racial prejudice should be "excused" but I think it's easy to get very self-righteous in condemning someone else who let's the prejudice slip into the open. How many people, honestly, when really angry or scared, slipped into attaching a racial adjective to the person we view as a threat.

The best way to combat racial prejudice, especially of this subtle, "buried" type, I believe, is to recognize it in ourselves, admit to it honestly, and refuse to allow those prejudices to go unchallenged and unchanged.

That's the battle I think Michael Richards is now having to face.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

The Today Show had an interview w/ Kyle Doss and his friend this morning- they claim that he started in right away when they walked in late (said something to the effect oh the Blacks and Mexicans are here) even before they said anything. They also say he said and did other things that are not on the video, such as giving them the finger and saying he had enough money to buy them and that he will still be famous or whatever after that, and they will still be the n word.

It's the one that says Richards apology not enough

http://video.msn.com/v/us/fv/msnbc/f...d/3032633/&fg=

Of course Gloria Allred has become involved..