Korn Guitarist Finds God, Leaves Band - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2005, 08:56 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:54 PM
I think this is great. In fact, I encourage all crap muscians to 'Find God', hopefully then we won't have to listen to any of their shit music (Apart from U2 and Bob of course, their music is genuinely spiritual).

Old 02-27-2005, 11:38 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:54 PM

Old 02-27-2005, 12:54 PM   #33
War Child

Local Time: 08:54 PM
Hey I'm not into there music BUT have seen them live. There interesting I guess. Anyway hope he's happy and good for him to just get up and do what he wants. I'm sure others would not in that position.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:01 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:54 PM
korn aren't so well with god, i've read on some music magazines they have some relationship with spiritsm......so it's good for this guitarist finding god
Old 02-28-2005, 08:32 AM   #35
The Fly

Teta,

I had to come out of lurkdom to thank you for your post. That's one of the best posts on Christian spirituality I have seen on message boards.

I live in the Southern United States and it is almost impossible to find a church that is not Bush conservative, both in the people's outlook and the pastor. The country club attitude, exclusivity and lack of grace just kills my spirit.

I am currently in a little start up Episcopal church that doesn't preach politics and stresses we must follow what the Spirit tells us. No corporate shit. We have a good mix of liberal, conservative, straight families, gay families and families of color. We also have the beautiful liturgy combined with a rock band (we sang "All Because of You" last week).

My only complaint is that we are such a new and small congregation (plus the money crisis in the Episcopal church at large) that we are just now beginning to form the core of outreach -- feeding the hungry, helping the poor, social justice. I feel the Spirit moving me towards starting something, just trying to narrow it down.

Anyway, didn't mean to ramble on to you -- just that I totally identify and agree with your post!
Old 02-28-2005, 09:53 PM   #36
Refugee

Hm. How does your church stand on gay marriage? Someone wrote in the thread above "my church is splitting, and it makes me sad."

I am MUCH more complicated character than you think, so while I thank you for the lovely response to my post, read my replies in that thread, and I'd love to see your reply.

FYI: Any chrurch that has gay memebers, is fine with me. Anybody that brought a "family" with a kid, I'd not walk out the door. But if I was asked to be the 'grandma' to a kid that...well, like I said, read and see.

I'm actually a very messed-up, lost ,confused soul right now, and looking for guidance. Progressive, liberal Christians (with a few traditional attitudes left over, but not ones that they want to have legislated, as they despise theocracy) are hard to find. I hate despising Christians in public and haivng to keep myself from making knee-jerk judegements. But I'm like onewho'se been divorced 3 times and still trying to :love like I've not been hurt", as Bono says. Speaking of Fellowship. I wish your church was around my area.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:17 AM   #37
The Fly

Oh, I think if we're searching spiritually, we'll ALL pretty complicated.

Our church's stand on gay marriage is that we have no stand. Everyone on a spiritual search is welcome. Our priest has already stated he will not perform same-sex blessing ceremonies, as he is content to wait for the Holy Spirit to reveal what direction to go because marriage is a holy sacrament. In other words, he's still sorting it out, too. And he has been honest with our whole congregation about this. Sometimes we have to live with the questions, and not get distracted from what we believe our mission is -- "to love the Lord with all our hearts,souls and minds and our neighbors as ourselves."

How do our gay families feel about this? They are happy with it. They feel welcomed, accepted and a part of the community. They don't want to be known as "our gay families" -- they just want to be who they are and accepted for where they are.

I think it is so hard to be an American Christian -- the more conservative churches always have a list of "bad" sins, while ignoring their own sins and sins of omission (NOT feeding the hungry, helping the poor, being materialistic, etc.). I'm so sick that so much of it is all appearance, with little real substance, the substance that Jesus is.

So I pray for you on your path and ask your prayers on mine. God will not let us down, and it is his will to unite us in Him, not divide.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:41 AM   #38
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Well,
let's hope he does not get lost again.
yea don't ya hate when the little fella gets lost up there in all them clouds? always a bitch to find him again. perhaps we need to hook him up to a lojac.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:18 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Here's an update on Head and his announcement to the church. This is very moving. I'm so excited for this guy. I found this link on www.relevantmagazine.com.

BAKERSFIELD, California — Kids in Korn T-shirts crowded around a stage for what looked like a hometown concert but was actually quite the opposite: This was not the return of the Family Values Tour, but rather a gathering of families hearing a lesson on values.

Two months after his first visit to the Valley Bible Fellowship, Brian "Head" Welch, who announced his departure from Korn last week held a sort of Christian coming-out party here Sunday in front of an estimated 10,000 churchgoers in three separate services.

"Brian has found out that God's real, and he's stoked," Pastor Ron Vietti told the third service.

Welch — wearing jeans and a T-shirt, with his signature long, curly hair in his face — sat down with Vietti for discussions that found the guitarist displaying a mix of emotions, from stoked to somber.

"I thought I had it all, everything I thought was important when I was a kid — money, fame, pretty women — but I came to a point where I didn't want to live," he told the congregation.

Welch confessed to coming to the church as a last-ditch effort to kick a drug addiction. "When I came here I was hooked on meth," he said, stopping to wipe the tears gathered in his eyes.

"We love you, buddy," Vietti responded, followed by a loud cheer from the audience, a group of all ages that seemed enthralled in everything Welch had to say.

The guitarist, who showed off new tattoos on his neck ("Matthew 11:28") and fist ("JESUS"), took the stage after a 20-minute set of Christian worship songs from a rock band, as well as a 20-minute sermon from Vietti, who talked about his coming to God and surviving leukemia after being told he would die from the disease.

Welch said he now works for the Lord and announced that he would be joining Vietti on a trip to Israel this week, where the pastor plans to "dunk me in the Jordan River" — meaning to baptize the new Christian.

"This is the book of life right here," he said, pulling a Bible from his back pocket. "It's not about religion, it's not about this church, it's not about me. It's about the book of life and everybody needs to be taught this. It's crazy, it's gonna do stuff like this, like change a guy in a rock band."

At the end of their discussion, Vietti asked non-Christians interested in "being saved" to come forward, and at least 40 mostly young people followed suit. In the end, the pastor said more than 200 people came to Christianity throughout the services, including members of the media there to cover Welch's talk.

"More people came up and gave their lives to God than I anticipated, but that's good," Welch said after the services — and after signing hundreds of autographs. "I'm tripping out a little bit, but it's cool. This is the best thing that's ever happened to me."

"Do you guys think I'm crazy?" he added, gesturing to reporters. "Everything on MTV is 50 Cent, Eminem, dis this, dis that. This is something positive."

When he returns from Israel, Welch plans to launch a solo career, with music about his experiences as a new Christian, and then give the money to charities and to Valley Bible Fellowship's plan to build "rock and roll churches" across America.

"Every dime I make is going back to the people in a positive way," he said. "I'm gonna change the world or die trying."

Welch said he tried to convince the other members of Korn to come to the church but had no luck. However, he stills considers them his best friends. "I love them so much," he said. "I'm happy. I just want to do good. I'm not doing nothing wrong. I don't want to hurt the band Korn. I don't want to hurt anyone. My music is about love; it's love without saying it.

"With Korn, I got the money, all kinds of drugs of choice, everything, but this is my life now," he added. "I'm never gonna change. That drug [meth] is known for making people crazy, but I'm in my right mind. This was all His plan. You were supposed to be here talking to me."
Old 03-01-2005, 09:23 AM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

I guess I only find myself concerned when someone literally changes SO MUCH when they "find God." I'm definitely not opposed to his "conversion," but it feels as if he's chosen one extreme to the other. I mean, let's substitute Christianity out of that above article and put in "Heaven's Gate"; doesn't that sound like something a cult would do?

I dunno...U2 is a great example of what I'm talking about. U2 "finding religion" nearly destroyed the band back in their early years, but they were able to realize that "finding religion" did not necessarily mean chucking it all. I wonder how many people are able to do what U2 did.

Melon
Old 03-01-2005, 10:30 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
U2 is a great example of what I'm talking about. U2 "finding religion" nearly destroyed the band back in their early years, but they were able to realize that "finding religion" did not necessarily mean chucking it all. I wonder how many people are able to do what U2 did.
U2 - very capable, Korn... I doubt it.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:03 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie

You make a good point Melon. U2 was smart about becoming Christians and they're doing more for Christianity because of it. (I, in fact, became a committed Christian because of U2). However, they were basically converted as a band so they didn't necessarily have to get out of the rock 'n' roll lifestyle, they just changed what they did together. (Plus, it's not like they were like Ozzy in the first place, you know?) What Head is doing is actually smart and takes more guts I would say. If you read up on U2's conversion though, they changed in many ways too. That's what can happen upon conversion.
For me, I grew up in a Christian home and at church, but that still doesn't mean I was a Christian. When I committed my life to Christ, it wasn't like some awesome, powerful thing came over me or I burst into tears or something. I did feel a peace though. It does change you in some way. There's even a verse, 2 Corinthians 5:17, which says "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" (exciting thought, huh?)
When you accept Christ into your life, there's going to be change brought on by the Holy Spirit. That's what Head's going through. He feels God moving him to a different way of life — one that doesn't compromise his relationship with Christ. U2 did this in another way (like I said they did it more as a band, where Head felt he had to leave because he was the only one changing gears).
I admit it may sound strange like you said. Why would anyone shift gears so suddenly? But that's a part of what Christianity is —*living as Christ calls us to, or "following Christ" and his example. Instead of living the way the "world" lives, seeking money, fame, power, sex, etc. we seek to live a life that's different and one that honors God. Like Head said before, all these other things became like a god to him in a sense. That's the problem. We were made to worship God and have a relationship with him in the first place, but by being human, we've screwed it all up and we started "worshiping" money, power, sex etc. Head's realized that's an empty life, and now he's going after something different.
And God wants us all to do this! He's hoping we'll all make that choice, but we have to make it on our own. All you have to do is pray, ask for God to forgive you of your sins, ask Christ into your heart, thank him for dying on the cross so you can even have forgiveness and accept him into your life as your lord. That's it. That's what Head did and so did U2.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:07 PM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen

I admit it may sound strange like you said. Why would anyone shift gears so suddenly? But that's a part of what Christianity is —*living as Christ calls us to, or "following Christ" and his example. Instead of living the way the "world" lives, seeking money, fame, power, sex, etc. we seek to live a life that's different and one that honors God. Like Head said before, all these other things became like a god to him in a sense. That's the problem. We were made to worship God and have a relationship with him in the first place, but by being human, we've screwed it all up and we started "worshiping" money, power, sex etc. Head's realized that's an empty life, and now he's going after something different.

does one need christ in order not to live solely for money, fame, power, and sex?

is it an either/or proposition?

can one live a good life without ever hearing of Christ?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:24 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes, one can live a good life without Christ, but is it good enough? The Bible says we're all sinners; we all "fall short of the glory of God." Then we must consider that God is holy, perfect and pure. He loves us, but he can't tolerate sin. In Old Testament days people followed the laws to be good and sacrificed a lamb to be cleansed of their sins. Then Christ came. He was born into poverty, lived the perfect life without sin, taught for a few years, and then died the ultimate death that came with ultimate pain, torture and humiliation. The Bible says that the "wages of sin are death." Christ died in our place though. He's the unblemished lamb that was sacrificed for our sins. However, because he was both God and man, he rose again from the dead, therefore conquering death (the wages of sin). That's why he said "I am the way, the truth and the life. Nobody gets to the father but by me." He's the only one that paid the price! We can't do it, but we can accept this gift of life and when we do that and SINCERELY ask for forgiveness of our sins, we're forgiven. We're seen as holy and pure again. Yes we're still going to sin, but God's grace doesn't run out. (And no, this doesn't mean we can just sin whenever and simply ask for forgiveness use it as a crutch —*it doesn't work that way. God knows our hearts.)
That's the difference between Christianity and other religions. Other religions teach that you have to live a good life and do certain things, or works, here on Earth to get into heaven, but there's nothing we can do to erase our sins, only God can do that. For Christians, the work was done on the cross. Does that answer your question Irvine?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:54 PM
I think it's possible Irvine, but one would have to put a lot of faith in themselves or another higher power to do so, I would think.