Kofi Annan's Son in Corruption Scandal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lrcllb

The Fly
Read the NYTimes, apparently the Sec General's son is embroiled in more scandal at the UN.

Finally - something U2 related!

I was going crazy with all the non-U2 stuff that was getting posted here.

Thank you, lrcllb!

I wonder how much of a "fan" of Kofi's Bono really is, could it be another case of "I have to work with this man because he's powerful as heck so I'd better be nice"? I get the impression with some of the politicians he works with that's what the relationship is like.

I saw an interview with the US head of Food for Oil on CSPAN and he staed while it may appear to be a scandal the US knew all about the transactions and as US companies were also profiting it was ignored

Nobody will care at all because it doesn't involve bashing America and it certainly doesn't involve Bush, the UN can do no wrong because it is a shining example of all nations working together for peace and prosperity - at least in the eyes of the soggy middle of society. People will twist it around into a pretzel of nuance until the blame can be shirked onto the US.

For interested parties....I posted a thread in here listing exactly the countries. The list does include SOME US companies, however, it would not be fair to describe this as a United States scandal, or to point the finger at the US as being even close to the main benefactors of the scandal.

Unfortunatly, as occured in the other thread, there are some who would like to blame the US for it.

Those who are pointing the finger on this, should not forget that this OIL FOR FOOD program was turned into a tool that Saddam used to oppress his people and make money for himself. Sadly, the Iraqi people are the forgotten victems.

May I just say that the number of innocent Iraqi civilians killed by the misuse of the oil for food program has been estimated in the hundreds of thousands stretching into over one million, this was a terrible situation and the blame rests on Saddam who manipulated the program to make the Iraqi people suffer severely in the vain hope of garnering enough sympathy from the international community, the likes of Pilger provided ample support in this scheme, painting a picture of America waging a genocidal set of sanctions against peaceful and benevolent Saddam. I have no great love for these individuals who coddled up with that evil man with a mutual loathing of the US.

Saddam got billions through the Oil For Food program. Alot of businesses were involved, including, yes, at least one U.S. one. But many of the businesses were from other countries. When my sister was in Ukraine in 2002 there were reports in the Kyiv press that Ukrainian companies were mixed up with this thing also. Companies all over were mixed up with it. So you really can't point fingers at anyone, everyone's guilty.

Well, by that I mean I don't think there's a truly "innocent" country anywhere. A U.S. company was definitely mixed up, I'm sure that's true about the Ukrainian companies, and God knows who else was mixed up in a shady bunch of wheeling and dealing that put all of that dough in Saddam's pockets.

A_Wanderer said:
Nobody will care at all because it doesn't involve bashing America and it certainly doesn't involve Bush, the UN can do no wrong because it is a shining example of all nations working together for peace and prosperity - at least in the eyes of the soggy middle of society. People will twist it around into a pretzel of nuance until the blame can be shirked onto the US.

I take great offence at this piece of whimpering nonsense. How self-pitying can u try to be?? Please stop trying to make the US to be the be-all and end-all when it comes to world issues. Yes, it has a major say in what goes on in our world but there are plenty of other countries which can and do get a bad rap. And if the US (or any other country) does get a bad rap there's usually a pretty good reason for it........otherwise why the hell do u think so many people get so pissed off? Just for the sake of it?

This idea that the rest of us just love to indulge in 'America-bashing' is such a cliched and juvenile thing at this stage. If a few people want to get involved in it that's up to them. But don't tell tar us all with the same brush.

As for the UN it's far from perfect but it's the best we've got. Unless u have any better ideas??

Back
Top Bottom