Knowing the world we live in...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallycinnamon78

New Yorker
I don't know if you've seen these. I am NOT attesting that the stats here are accurate... but it does make you stop and think. :sad::huh:

Angola.jpg
Brazil.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.brazilianartists.net/home/flags/index2.htm

MEET THE WORLD
Icaro Doria is Brazilian, 25 and has been working for the magazine Grande Reportagem, in Lisbon, Portugal, for the last 3 years. He is part of the team (with Luis Silva Dias, João Roque, Andrea Vallenti and João Roque) that produced the flags campaign which has been circulating the Earth in chain letters via e-mail. Icaro gave us a small statement about the campaign, translated by Isabell Erdmann:

The magazine Revista Grande Reportagem is a Hard Journalism magazine, on the same line as the Times. The idea was to bring across the concept that the magazine offers profound journalism about topics of real importance to the world of today.

This is how we thought of the concept Meet the World.

We started to research relevant, global, and current facts and, thus, came up with the idea to put new meanings to the colours of the flags. We used real data taken from the websites of Amnesty International and the UNO.

The campaign has been running in Portugal since January 2005. There are eight flags that portray very current topics like the division of opinions about the war in Iraq in the United States, the violence against women in Africa, the social inequality in Brazil, the drug trafficking in Columbia, Aids and malaria in Angola, etc.

With regards to the email presenting the campaign as being done by a Norwegian diplomat, this information is completely wrong. There is no Norwegian diplomat called Charung Gollar, there was no presentation in the UNO, and the campaign is not called ‘The Power of the Stars’. This was all invented and is going round the world via email.

That’s it, basically.

ICARO DORIA

deep said:

i don't believe this stat

therefore, i suspect the rest now.

i believe they are just artist making political statements

Quite probably - I'm not arguing with that until I learn the facts of the matter. I still found it thought-provoking so thought I'd post it.

deep said:

i don't believe this stat

therefore, i suspect the rest now.

i believe they are just artist making political statements

I belive all stats are correct, but they refer to that specific nation, not to the entire world.

So:

AGLA0001.GIF
Angola stats

BUFA0001.GIF
Burkina Faso stats

CHIN0001.GIF
China stats

SMLA0001.GIF
Somalia stats

CLMB0001.GIF
Colombia stats

EUUN0001.GIF
European Union stats

UNST0001.GIF
USA stats

Let's just say somlalia isn't your favourite holiday destination (among others)

Vorsprung said:

I belive all stats are correct, but they refer to that specific nation, not to the entire world.

Of Course,

Don't know why I missed that.

I think USA is wrong though

I think red and white could not find Iraq on a map.

Vorsprung said:

I sincerely hope the stats aren't correct. :sad:

I thought it was clear that they didn't refer to the world at large (thank Christ)... maybe I should have put some backround info in before I posted the flags. Just in case it wasn't spotted:
There are eight flags that portray very current topics like the division of opinions about the war in Iraq in the United States, the violence against women in Africa, the social inequality in Brazil, the drug trafficking in Columbia, Aids and malaria in Angola, etc.

Ah well. It certainly got me thinking, anyway.:(

Last edited:
Vorsprung said:

So you agree with the ones who think that us colombians are all drug dealers??????? cuz that's what those stats mean.

i think you (and the people who do those stuff) should research a little more before making an opinion about those messages. I know that those countries (included mine) have big troubles but I say that nobody gets a shit pointing the finger to them, reducing them to the bad things saying that they are the shame of the world. Aids, drugs, violence against women and indiference are problems that we can find anywhere and it is unfair to show a few scapegoats.

... I'm sorry if I sound impulsive or vulnerable but I get really offended by this kind of things cuz I know that my country is a lot more than drugs, a lot of blood has run because of that and we have to suffer the prejudice in other countries . I really really hate when others use our country and our symbols as an image for drugs and violence.

Those messages doesn't make you think about the world we're living but they create more discrimination against the people who live in those countries.

Back
Top Bottom