Kinsey Scale - Where Do You Fall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Where Are You on the Kinsey Scale?

• 0 - exclusively heterosexual

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • 1 - predominantly heterosexual, incidentally homosexual

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • 2 - predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • 3 - equally heterosexual and homosexual

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • 4 - predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 - predominantly homosexual, incidentally heterosexual

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • 6 - exclusively homosexual

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

melon

ONE love, blood, life
This scale was developed by Dr. Alfred Kinsey and his associates in the late '40s and early '50s. These results were supported in studies conducted by Masters and Johnson and other sex researchers, though some more recent studies have reported lower rates nationally, with higher rates in urban areas. These studies collectively indicate there is a broad spectrum of sexual orientations - not just heterosexual and homosexual. Instead of looking a sexual orientation as an either-or condition, Kinsey developed a seven point continuum based on the degree of sexual responsiveness people have to the members of the same and other sex.

0 - exclusively heterosexual

1 - predominantly heterosexual, incidentally homoexual

2 - predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual

3 - equally heterosexual and homosexual

4 - predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual

5 - predominantly homosexual, incidentally heterosexual

6 - exclusively homosexual

It is necessary to consider a variety of activities in assessing an individual's ranking on the continuum:

· fantasies · dreams · thoughts

· frequency of sexual activities · emotional feelings

Therefore, many "heterosexuals" would fall, in fact, somewhere between 0 and 3 because they occasionally think/dream/fantasize about sexual activities with members of the same gender and/or occasionally act on these feelings.

Kinsey's researchers found that over a three-year period:

4 - 6% of men were rated as "6"

10 % of men were rated 4, 5, or 6

18% of men were rated as 3, 4, 5, or 6

37% of all men experienced orgasm in a sexual activity with another man at some time in their life.

60% of all men had some type of homosexual relationship before they were age 16.

30% of all men had some type of homosexual relationship between age 20 - 24.

Ranks for women were about one-half that of men (exact percentages were not provided by Kinsey). Keep in mind, this research was conducted as a time of lower sexual activity for women than recent surveys have indicated.

Research was conducted primarily with white college educated, volunteer subjects and with prisoners. This research did not clearly parcel out behaviors which did not persit from adolesence into adult life.

The National Health and Social Life Survey (Saumann, et. al., 1994) surveyed 1749 women and 1410 men in a random sample of US adult. They found 10% of men and 9% of women reporting at least one of the following: 1) sexual desire towards the same gender, 2) sexual identity is not heterosexual, and/or 3) sexual behavior with the same gender.

Alright...after reading all that and keeping an open mind, where do you fall?

I think Im a:

1 - predominantly heterosexual, incidentally homosexual

but Im just guessing. I have been branded a "lesbian" most of my life and I'm not gay. There are times I would really like to turn lesbian and run off with Angela Harlem but its not going to happen.(chemically) :(

Last edited:
If you were a girl, you might have been able to join us when Beli and I run off to our island with lots of palm fronds, 12 foot verandahs, plantation shutters, hammocks, and um...Balinese houseboys.

Beli, we need to work on this plan.

Or maybe not. :hmm:

I've voted 1. :shrug:

I am sexually attracted to men, but honestly I don't think I've ever found one that I can connect with on an emotional level in quite the exact same way I can connect w/ some women. I think that has to do w/ trust and other issues though. I think so many women are beautiful, but I've never acted on it in that way :wink: honestly I don't think about that in a sexual way, just in a way that they are esthetically pleasing -if they're not beautiful in other ways there's not a real attraction, same goes for w/ a man though.

So I guess however you factor emotional feelings in, whatever number that would be.

beli said:
I think Im a:

1 - predominantly heterosexual, incidentally homosexual

but Im just guessing. I have been branded a "lesbian" most of my life and I'm not gay.

me too.

people have asked me if am gay, but it had more to do with the fact that i am quite self-sufficient without a significant other in my life. i definitely like men, but if there are no suitable candidates around, i'm not going to waste my time on whoever happens to be around, just because they're there. some idiot men i know somehow translate that into "she must be gay." :eyeroll:

sometimes i think it would be easier just to run off with one of my girls, but it's just not that kinda love. :sigh:

Angela Harlem said:
If you were a girl, you might have been able to join us when Beli and I run off to our island with lots of palm fronds, 12 foot verandahs, plantation shutters, hammocks, and um...Balinese houseboys.

Beli, we need to work on this plan.

Or maybe not. :hmm:

I've voted 1. :shrug:

can i come too?

can we have Australian lifeguards as well?

i'm a 5, btw. i've been with (2) women, and while it didn't do much for me, it wasn't ... revolting. i just realized that physical and sexual attraction shouldn't be things that i'd have to work so hard at and psyche myself up for, they should just naturally flow from interacting with the other person.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
exclusively heterosexual

oh come on ... what if bono invited you back stage post-concert (and i know how much you enjoyed the SD shows), you guys had a guinness or two, maybe he started looking at you a little intensely with those soulful blue eyes ... you wouldn't even consider the possibility?

;)

I think certain people are going to give answers that don't necessarily reflect their true natures.

Just a thought.

-Miggy

Miggy D said:
I think certain people are going to give answers that don't necessarily reflect their true natures.

I agree. I guess that was the point of the poll was so that you could be "anonymous."

Anyway, I'm also interested in "perceptions" too. I doubt that Kinsey's results have changed that much, and he showed a society that was ultimately duplicitous; that is, a society where you could have same-sex acts and still call yourself "heterosexual."

Melon

melon said:

Anyway, I'm also interested in "perceptions" too. I doubt that Kinsey's results have changed that much, and he showed a society that was ultimately duplicitous; that is, a society where you could have same-sex acts and still call yourself "heterosexual."

sounds like a typical saturday night at the Navy Yard.

;)

Miggy D said:

Just a thought.

-Miggy

I can honestly say I voted 0 and I voted honeslty. I serioulsy can't recall ever having a dream or thought or whatever of me involved in a homosexual act. I'm a flaming heterosexual. It's just the way I was born. :wink:

Irvine511 said:

sounds like a typical saturday night at the Navy Yard.

;)

or a typical 'straight' man's lunch hour where I live.

I find it interesting, though not surprising, that the hetero women tend to see themselves as not exclusively hetero while the hetero men see themselves as exclusively hetero. C'mon guys, one of you should 'fess up to at least the occasional homo erotic fantasy. ;)

I wouldn't be embarrassed to be a 1 or something higher, but I can honestly say I've never been interested in another woman that way or ever fantasized about women.

0 it is.

My attraction to women is difficult to control :whistle: :sexywink:, whereas I'm equally attracted to an ox as much as a man, although I consider myself a reasonably good looking guy. But no, I don't get occasional homoerotic fantasies, sorry.

Self-esteem makes me at least a 0.3.

I exaggerated a little bit. It's that spring time thing when it feels like puberty all over again, seeing chicks in bathing suits...

But no, I never got out of my car as I was driving by yesterday. :huh:

Macfistowannabe said:
My attraction to women is difficult to control :whistle: :sexywink:, whereas I'm equally attracted to an ox as much as a man,

I guess this explains why you were expelled from the 4 H club in high school.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom