Kinky Friedman for Governor of Texas!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WHY NOT KINKY?

THE STATE OF POLITICS
Today, Texans have no choice for their leadership except paper or plastic. Political parties are for sale to the highest bidder, and lobbyists control the Texas Legislative agenda. "A fool and his money are soon elected. " - Kinky Friedman

Current Texas election laws make it nearly impossible for a non-party candidate to get on the ballot. Perhaps this explains why only 25 percent of eligible Texas voters participated in the last gubernatorial election. Texans need real representation, and they’re not getting it. "The career politicians are keeping the elevator at the penthouse floor and not sending it down for the rest of us." - Kinky Friedman

The two major parties spent $100 million in the last gubernatorial election for a job that pays $100,000. Do the math. Nope - it doesn’t add up. "I’m running this campaign on the coin of the spirit. I need your help." - Kinky Friedman

Texas was founded by independent, courageous, honorable citizens. The last great Independent elected governor of Texas was Sam Houston, over a hundred and fifty years ago. Texas needs a strong independent voice, if it is ever to regain its greatness. "If you elect me, I’ll be the first Governor in Texas history with a listed phone number." - Kinky Friedman

EDUCATION REFORM: Priority One
The young people of Texas are our future, and we must treat them as such. They are our number one resource for that future. The current government seems to prefer band-aids over solid planning for the next generations of Texas. A Texas revolution is needed in our school systems. "No teacher left behind" - Kinky Friedman

Texas is #1 in drop out rates and #48 in education spending. Our children deserve so much more. Texas is also 48th in per capita child protection expenditures, as well as 49th in general, 46th in mental health, 45th in public health, 49th in state arts agency, 44th in highway, and 49th in water quality expenditures. The Austin American-Statesman is correct: "It’s Texas vs. Mississippi in a race to the bottom."

Teachers are Kinky’s heroes, along with police, soldiers, firefighters, and cowboys. Each of us remembers a teacher who made an impact on and changed our lives for the better. Kinky intends to identify these special people and seek their advice in creating a vibrant, responsive and forward-looking education system for Texas. "Politicans appear to be more interested in French cuffs than solving our problems." - Kinky Friedman

TEXAS PEACE CORPS
Kinky will create an in-state volunteer agency, modeled after the Peace Corps, in which he served, to promote the arts and life skills in Texas schools. Musicians and artists, along with retired teachers, business executives, and police, will join us in teaching our kids how to act, play music, paint, write a check, keep accounts, and stay out of trouble. Kinky will ask his friends, including Laura Bush, Willie Nelson, Richard ‘Racehorse’ Haynes, and former UT Coach Darrell Royal, to lead this effort. "Never say **** in front of a c-h-i-l-d." - Kinky Friedman

CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM
Kinky is not anti-death penalty, just opposed to executing the wrong person! DNA has released dozens of improperly convicted people from death rows all over America. We’ve learned that juries and testimony are not infallible. There are cases in which the death penalty is warranted, but there is no disputing the obvious: Texas executes people who may be innocent. Taking a life is a grave responsibility - no pun intended. Two thousand years ago an innocent man named Jesus Christ, was executed; Kinky’s question is: "What have we learned in two thousand years?"

NEW ENERGY: Kinky To Make Texas #1 Again
For decades, Texas was #1 in US oil and gas exploration. It once even led the world! Texas can reclaim its role as world leader in new energy production with alternative solutions. Kinky is our ‘energizer’ candidate.

WILLIE AND KINKY: Bio-Diesel Buddies
Bio-diesel fuel powers Willie Nelson’s famous bus, the Honeysuckle Rose. Bio-diesel, eco-friendly and produced from agricultural products - even reclaimed frying grease - is a first step in the right direction. Willie will work with Kinky in promoting and developing bio-diesel and all of Texas’ vast, untapped, environmentally friendly resources. Currently, we’re using this fuel source for landfill. Surely, pulling a rutabaga out of the ground is more cost-effective than drilling a two-mile-deep hole in the sand. "How hard could it be?" - Kinky Friedman.

ABOLISH POLITICAL CORRECTNESS
Political correctness must be abolished. Texans need to be told the truth. Texans do not need opaque, carefully scripted press releases.. "A man oughtta be able to light his cigar once in a while." - Kinky Friedman

DE-WUSSIFICATION
Our icons are being demeaned. Cowboys are no longer heroes for our children, but subject to derision. We are being laughed at instead of respected in the rest of the country. What has happened to our glorious heritage? This is the great state of Texas! We are not wusses, we are Texans. "We will beat back the wussification of Texas if we have to do it one wuss at a time." - Kinky Friedman.

IN SUMMARY
KINKY MAY BE THE ONLY PERSON IN TEXAS WHO CAN MAKE REAL CHANGES IN HOW TEXANS ARE GOVERNED, PROTECTED AND SUPPORTED BY THEIR LEADERS. TEXAS NEEDS HELP. WE NEED TO PUT A REAL GOVERNOR ON HER. VOTE KINKY. YOU’LL LIKE IT.

I can't comment on his specifics, but if the Democratic Party acted more like him, I think they'd get elected again.

Melon

He's real???? I read a book called Armadillo and Old Lace and I cant remember if he was the author or the main character - or both?

:lol:

Angela Harlem said:
He's real???? I read a book called Armadillo and Old Lace and I cant remember if he was the author or the main character - or both?

:lol:

Yeah he's an author. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the main character either, he has quite the ego.

The book was kinda funny. Now I think, it was him as the main character as well. He played in a band and his parents ran some camp for kids or something. In Texas. He had a pet armadillo and a talking car, naturally.

I'm going to guess he's a republican?

I saw a television interview with him. He's independent, but I think he's the furthest from Republican. I think he blames the years of Republican domination of Texas over the years as part of the problem, while seeing the Democrats as not being part of the solution. Hence, his candidacy.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom