King Abdullah Embraces Inter-Faith Project - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #16
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:08 PM
Maybe. But my own impression from talking to (frankly homophobic) parents I know who make these kinds of arguments is that, when they complain about schools 'prematurely sexualizing' their children's social awareness or whatever, that that's really--if perhaps not entirely consciously--a proxy (straw man?) for 'I don't want them getting the idea at an impressionable age that gay relationships are OK, and when they show them happy books about so-and-so's two mommies/daddies, that's exactly the impression they'll get, and I can't really explain to them at this age that the teacher just wants to make sure students grow up to treat gay people fairly regardless of what they personally think about them.' Maybe consciously their first association is 'sex,' because what they themselves find unacceptable about homosexuality has to do with sex, not love. But in practice that becomes an objection to presenting it positively, even if only in terms of love, to children.

Like I said, I'm not at all sympathetic to their situation, but I can understand why schools have an uphill climb dealing with them.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-03-2008, 12:06 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:08 AM
^ what about objections to interracial relationships?

should schools be sensitive to religious parents who might wish not to have to explain that, sometimes, black men fall in love with white women?

Old 04-03-2008, 12:23 AM   #18
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:08 PM
Nope. But at least in this country, public schools are to a considerable degree locally controlled and can't always move forward on addressing actively controversial social issues through curriculum as fast as they--and some parents--might like. (Ever been to a school board meeting?) I really don't know what the situation is like in Britain.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

What a wasted opportunity to teach young, unbiased children acceptance of others.

Had they been exposed to this innocuous material, they would probably show a greater level of tolerance toward their gay peers in high school, or feel better about themselves should they discover that (gasp) they are gay.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk
What a wasted opportunity to teach young, unbiased children acceptance of others.

it seems that Jesus and Mohommad agree that some of us are more acceptable than others.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

*amen* to Irving & VP's posts right above.....

Irvine, I think yolland is pointing out some of the possible trains of thought in some parents that lead to those types of anti-gay actions that can occur in certain areas of the USA public schools ....
y is not agreeing that is it right to do that [i don't think], but how these things have sometimes played out, and how it can be an uphill fight in some places- even IF it shouldn't be.
Of course it IS painful, interfering & sometimes deadly to the L/G/B/T community, or the particularly isolated in small town, and their supporters (family & friends etc) to continue the kind of the kind of bigotry & harassment that goes on.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

as far as the Interfaith stuff goes..i guess it depends ...

I am a spiritual person, but i rejected alot of my Catholic upbringing in my teens, and eventually the central core of Christianity itself.

BUt I often find comfort going to a particular big church at certain times.
They are very ecumenical as in some of their special event services include not only the 3 monotheistic religions, but buddhists, Native Americans, African Indigenous religions too. ANd alters and religious symbols of all these faiths are represented around the church.

I'M sure that at least some of the officials in the church are comfortable with atheists as well.
I have a range of friends from fairly religious, to spiritual to atheists as well.
I thought I was an atheist at point in my life....but i really wasn't once i took in/ learned more about various spirituality from around the world.